Who is going to PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastjoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to PCOM next year and currently living in Boston. If anyone is living around here e-mail me at [email protected]. I was wondering what the other people who are like going to PCOM. I am 22, I grew up here in MA and went to Brandeis University and graduated last year. Anyone any good ideas on where to live? COngrats, all! looking forward to hearing who my classmates are.

joe

Members don't see this ad.

I am headed to Philly! I live in the Poconos so it's not that far away.

fastjoe,

Congrats on your acceptance to PCOM! I am from CT but go to school at Clark University in MA. I will be taking the MCAT and graduating this year, so I won't be applying to medical school for at least another year. I am considering MPH programs but have not yet decided what I am going to do for "the interim year." Since you graduated last year, I was wondering what you did for your year off. I am also interested in PCOM, so drop me some information about the school and why you made the decision to go there.

Thanks and good luck!

Together

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently,

I am working as a clinical Research Coordinator doing Derm. Research for Mass. Gen./harvard medical School. I decided to take the year off b/c I wanted to travel the summer after I graduated and have lots of time to fill out my primary and secondary applications and gather my transcripts and recs. and stuff plus I just wanted a year to chill, be in the real world and make some dough and live with my buddies before i had to get all serious about school. Do you know Amos Anderson? I went to high school with him and played against him a couple of times in college. As for PCOM I chose it because I wanted to go to a big school in an urban area and philly is great. It is a school with a great reputation. Three PCOM graduates are now part of Harvard Medical. I went to visit and all the people seemed cool and layed back not all anal like some of the other schools I visited. I like work hard but I also like to have fun and i think it is very important to maintain a balance between the two. As for MPH my roomate is in the BU program and loves it. Good luck on your MCATS.

joe

I posted this in the other thread as well, but I'm a first year at PCOM and will be glad to answer any questions, either here or email [email protected]

I am so excited that other people from Boston are going to PCOM!

Together, I am a clinical research coordinator, too, and I think that it is the best job I could have chosen for my interim period. I work closely with doctors, nurses, patients, regulatory depts - basically everyone. It gave me a lot to talk about at my interviews and I have learned a lot about myself and medicine. It's definitely a job to consider. I would try to stay away from "bench" research, as it takes you away from patients and DO schools, especially, want to see you interacting with actual people.

I agree with fastjoe about PCOM's reputation. No one I knew would give me their opinions on the schools I was deciding between, but after I made my decision they all said that PCOM was by far the best choice (including several DO's). Not that the other schools aren't good, PCOM just has a lot to offer. Also, I am considering doing the combo DO/MPH or MBA program. I think it's nice that the option is there if I want it (although it will take a total of 5 years instead of 4).

I hope that some of this helps you. Good luck with the MCAT. Just put your mind to it and you will be fine (it's not that bad).

Congrats to all!! And, if there are any more people from Boston heading to PCOM, feel free to email me at [email protected]

--
smile.gif

I sent my deposit off today! I am headed to Philly from Texas. Any ideas where to live near the campus?

Heather