Who is going to UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjfluffy11

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know who is going UCSF, cuz I will be there ;) for the class of 2008. Maybe some people can give me tips on the housing situtation up in SF? When would it be a good time to start looking for housing?

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest you to call housing office to request an on-campus housing application form. Here is the link: http://www.housing.ucsf.edu/cho/ There is an option to search for off-campus housing. Hope you find what you need.

jjfluff,

Yes, you should get on the housing list ASAP. If you show them your acceptance letter, they will add you to the list. I haven't looked into the housing situation much because I already live in the area, but it seems like university housing is hard to get. So in terms of finding other housing, I know there is a rental board outside the housing office. I don't know if it's also online. You can call the housing office and ask. But if you need private housing that's not on the board, I think you should look in August for a lease to start Sep. Hopefully, a current student chimes in and gives you better info on this. It's not that hard to find housing anymore, but the trick is to find affordable housing. Craig's List on the internet is a good source to find SF housing. Maybe you should try that when the time comes. You can check out what apartments and rooms are going for now:
http://www.craigslist.org/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be attending UCSF this fall too! :)
Since I'm from SoCal, I've already applied for housing. Like HBomb88 said, apply soon. I've heard that the chances of actually getting campus housing are very slim, so I'll probably be looking for outside housing this summer.

Hi, did some of you go to CDA conference/UCSF Student Reception?
I was there for a brief period of time.
Just want to say hi.
Nice to see you there =)
Eric

Fantasia,
Thanks for the info. I didn't know they posted it online. Looks like we'll be "freed up" 2 afternoons a week...well, I guess Independent Study Option doesn't exactly mean that. Call me a skeptic, but I've always wondered whether things like this were more intended to cut costs and less intended for the student welfare. But maybe both in this case? I dunno, just a thought.

ecdoesit,
I didn't make it to the CDA conference since I live in NoCal, but it would have been nice to meet some incoming students. What were your thoughts on the conference? Useful, a waste of time, or something in between?

Hbomb88:
I really like that we have some free time at least 2 a week for the next 2 years. I'm sure we'll probably use that time for extra studying, extra clinical experience, research, or just plainly catching up on sleep. But you have a good point, maybe these 'independent study' times are there for financial reasons or student welfare. Either way, at least we get some break time to do whatever we want to do.

Eric,
Even though I am in Souther California, I couldn't make it to the UCSF reception. Let us know what it was like. What was every one like?

I went there along with my UCSD Free Dental Clinic and Pre-Dental Society people. And, it seems there are quite a few Class of 2008 students there. I met Dr. Alexander again. We had fun in the reception. It is really really nice. I met someone there who is also on SDN. Maybe he will respond to this too. Wow, the convention is huge. I barely have time to walk to some vendors and walked through a little bit of table clinic. They also have lectures and workshops. Well, there is always next year =) Come join the organized dentistry.

These conferences are never a waste of time. You will always meet new people and learn new instruments. Someday, we have to find out how many toothbrushes could they have? There are so cool floss though. I really want to go to some of their lectures. I met my friend there. And she was telling me all these new stuff going on in dentistry. I am ashtonished.

Actually, I just got back, so if you have any questions about cda conference or ucsd free dental clinics. Please feel free to ask. Thanks.

I know none of us have asked, but far as I can tell, there are four of us on SDN going to UCSF this fall:
jjfluffy11
Fantasia
akathisia
HBomb888

So are you guys excited to get started? I know I am.

Congrats to all of you who got accepted to UCSF :thumbup: I am very interested in attending UCSF in the near future, and it would be very helpful and informative if you guys could share your stats (GPA, DAT, the university that you are currently attending, extracurricular/volunteer activities, etc.) and why you chose to attend UCSF over other schools that you got offers from. Thanks!!!

Has anyone accepted to multiple schools and still thinking about their decision?
I also would like to know why you choose ucsf over other schools.

Hi, Tom Wong, I also got accepted to ucsf, but chose to go to ucla.
If you want, you could pm me or ask question on the ucla thread, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
If any of you want info/ help to look into housing (not on campus) close to UCSF, PM me.. I'll do what I can to help you folks.

Henna

Henna,
Thanks for helping us newbies out. You rock!!! Good karma, good karma (as if you need it).

Tom,
I'll PM you my info.

Eric,
I chose UCSF to a large degree because of location. I want to live and practice in the Bay Area. Other reasons include working with top notch students and a well regarded faculty. They preach a lot about "opportunity", but I'll wait until I can experience it myself before I make any judgement, though I perceive it to be true.

Hi All who is interested,
My name is Joyce, and I picked UCSF because I wanted to get away from so. cal since I have been here almost my whole life (high school, undergrad). I visited SF, and it was awesome plus it was one of the cheapest school I was looking at. I got granted for an interview at UCLA, but didn't go since they notified me after my acceptance into SF . I didn't pick USC cuz I don't really like PBL, it just wasn't my learning style. As far as grades are concern I bet at a lot of people has better grade thatn me who got into SF. I am a chemical engineering major, have about a 3.6 overall, and about a 3.7 in science when I applied. 21 on academic, 19 in science, 18 in PAT. I worked as a dental assistant for about 2 years (while in school), and worked as a front desk full time for a summer. Thanks you guys for commenting on the housing situation.

You know what, I am a little skeptic about the dental hygiene program too. I know their argument is that they cant get good students to come and there are other hygiene school in northern CA. It just happens that the school needs to cut budget and the implementation of the Int'l dental program. You know, I really dont like the idea about considering closing down one of the best hygiene schools. And to make rooms to get higher profit from the Int'l dental program. We, UC, are still a public institute and have full obligation to care for our fellow Californians. This is something else that I dont get. Does it mean UCSF wants more international dentists to practice in CA while keeping the American dentists the same number constant? Shouldnt they let more chances to domestic pre-dental students? As far as i know, this is a tough decision. I hope our financial crisis will be over soon so that we dont have to suffer. BTW, please help President Dynes to raise funding for UC system so that we could at least keep our high quality of education for Californians.

jjfluffy11
The P/F system and the freed time curriculum is very attractive as well. Though how much does it mean that they are cutting faculty teaching time?
Luckily, both UC are excellent schools no matter what. Could we keep it up in rought time?
Anyway, please let me know your thought.

Thanks
Eric

Eric,
But I thought that closing the Dental Hygiene Program was only temporary.

As far as the new curriculum, it's been in the talks for a while now. My understanding was that it will better prepare us for the new format of the exam. UCSF has been a top school for a while now, so I am sure changing the curriculum was a tough choice to make. I mean why change something that has worked before? I don't think they would jeopordize their reputation that way.

Why I chose UCSF over other schools: After visiting UCSF and during my interview there, I really felt like I belonged there. Unlike some other schools, I felt that UCSF really cared about their students. I also liked the different 'opportunities' they talked about. For example, I've done a lot of research before, so I wanted that to be a possibility for me. Unlike the other UC school, I knew that UCSF had more patients and I wanted to minimize the possibility of having to worry about that (although I am sure UCSF has some problems). Plus, San Francisco is a new location for me and who knows when I will get another opportunity like this.

Tomwong, I PM'd you the info you requested. :D

Henna, thank you so much for offering to help us out. I'll be PM-ing you later on. :oops:

Hehehe, patient problem indeed. I was concerned about UCLA too. Though I can another opportunity to do something about that issue. Think about it. There has to be people w/o proper dental treatment in LA. Patients are everywhere. We just have to find it. If you dont mind staying indoor for your next four years in the same building, yes, ucsf is great. At least, at ucla, we have different clinics and plans to collaborate with other clinics/health center to increase our exposure to patients. This patient problem will be changed. Count on me to be involved.

I shyed away from SF because I have a 2.5 month of niece and I want to spend more time with her and my family in San Diego. In addition, after my trip to Europe(where they dont have So. Cal weather), I know UCLA is definitely my choice. And I do want to practice in So Cal, so it is easier to find connections. And most importantly, the lakers are there and raiders are in the bay area, j/k.

I am sure that we all have our reasons to choose which school to go to. Maybe we could keep in touch and share our experience in the near future.

Eric

ecdoesit said:
If you dont mind staying indoor for your next four years in the same building, yes, ucsf is great. At least, at ucla, we have different clinics and plans to collaborate with other clinics/health center to increase our exposure to patients. This patient problem will be changed. Count on me to be involved.

I am sure that we all have our reasons to choose which school to go to. Maybe we could keep in touch and share our experience in the near future.

Eric

Eric, I see what you mean. But we won't be staying in one place at UCSF. They have 14 clinics at 4 different sites outside of the main campus. They are located across California from Eureka to San Francisco to San Diego. Plus, I think this number is increasing so we will definitley be exposed to patients at UCSF.
That's so great that you are planning on trying to change the patient problem at UCLA. That will help you guys have a stronger clinical program. :thumbup:
And I'm sure we will have plenty of opportunities to share our experiences at these schools in the near future too and hopefully help out future students as well. :D

With regard to "opportunity" at UCSF.

It's True.

Hi,
I picked up a few ph numbers from ad's posted at UCSF, if any of you are interested in renting a studio or room etc PM me.

Henna

HBomb888 said:
I know none of us have asked, but far as I can tell, there are four of us on SDN going to UCSF this fall:
jjfluffy11
Fantasia
akathisia
HBomb888

So are you guys excited to get started? I know I am.

:laugh: Hey all, sorry for taking so long to respond! Been busy having FUN!
I CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!!! I look forward to meeting all of you in person too! Speaking of meeting... :) ..... are any of you planning to go to the new student reception in May? :clap:

I'll be there at the student reception. Hope to see you there.

I haven't heard of the reception? Is this the one for the Northern Cali people since the SoCal one was held a couple weeks ago?

HBomb888 said:
I'll be there at the student reception. Hope to see you there.

Yeah, we need to wear a special pin or something so we can identify each other and other SDNers. BTW, what do you think the appropriate attire will be? Suit, business casual, informal, casual???

John Bender:

You get along with your parents?
Andrew Clark:

Well, if I say "yes," I'm an idiot, right?
John Bender:

You're an idiot anyway. But, if you say you get along with your parents, well, you're a liar too.
-----
Richard Vernon:

False alarms are really funny, aren't they. What if your home, what if your family . . . what if your dope was on fire?
John Bender:

Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear.

Yeah i haven't gotten any notice of the reception either :oops:

I received a flyer in the mail from the Office of Student Affairs. The Student Reception is for the incoming class. It will be on Friday, May 21 from 4 - 7PM at the UCSF Faculty Alumni House, 745 Parnassus Ave. You have to RSVP to Barbra Richardson at [email protected]. I'm actually glad we're talking about this. I had no idea it asked for an RSVP until just now.

akathisia,
There's no need to wear special pins. I'll be the one with the baseball cap, jeans, and flip-flops.

jjfluffy11,
I think that since we are SoCal, we won't be hearing about it. I have a feeling that that one is meant for the Northern Cali people in the area, and ours was the one held in Anaheim a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for letting us know HBomb88 and akathisia!
Hopefully, we can all use this forum to update each other on what's going on or what we have received.

Fantasia said:
jjfluffy11,
I think that since we are SoCal, we won't be hearing about it. I have a feeling that that one is meant for the Northern Cali people in the area, and ours was the one held in Anaheim a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully, we can all use this forum to update each other on what's going on or what we have received.

I didn't understand before, but it sounds like you SoCal people already had a reception welcoming you to UCSF. It that what you went to in Anaheim, an actual reception? I would be surprised if you weren't invited to this one also :confused:. It may just take a few days to get the invitation in the mail.
Yeah, let's keep in touch!

We were invited to an event with UCSF alumini and student at anaheim in mid april or so. The invitation came as a little post card, and the reception was at a hotel.

Seems like it is different. I'll ask when I RSVP.

Fantasia said:
jjfluffy11,

Fantasia,

Let's see what akathisia finds out. It doesn't make sense to me that they'd only invite people already living in NoCal. The one in Anaheim wasn't directed only at SoCal folks because I got an invite to that one also.

HBomb.

Maybe you guys are right and it is something different. Did you all receive the invitation via mail very recently? Maybe it's just taking its time to get to us down here. :)

I think I got it a couple of weeks ago, but I can't really remember anymore.

What's going on between Sep 20 and Oct 4? Is it academic work or what? Anyone know?

HBomb888 said:
What's going on between Sep 20 and Oct 4? Is it academic work or what? Anyone know?

Not fully sure, but according to their website and the calendar they sent us, we'll be going through something they call "Introduction to Dentistry." I know we have the white coat ceremony somewhere in there too.

UCSF was a great school to visit. Dr. Alexander was the best, and I really felt bad that I turned down UCSF to go to L.A.. Best of luck to everyone that's going to SF this fall

Fantasia said:
Not fully sure, but according to their website and the calendar they sent us, we'll be going through something they call "Introduction to Dentistry." I know we have the white coat ceremony somewhere in there too.

Hey,
have any of you SoCal people received an invitation yet? I forgot to ask when I emailed Barbra. If you haven't received an invitation as of yet we need to email Barbra and find out what gives. :eek:

I was also interested in finding out the scores of those of you who got into UCSF. I noticed that not too many of you posted your scores, so if you could maybe send a private message my way that would be greatly appreciated. I would love to stay in the Bay Area for school and the times that I have been to UCSF and toured have really impressed me, both the students and faculty. Say hi to a girl named Chrystallin when you are there, she is the bomb!!

akathisia said:
Hey,
have any of you SoCal people received an invitation yet? I forgot to ask when I emailed Barbra. If you haven't received an invitation as of yet we need to email Barbra and find out what gives. :eek:

I still haven't. Have you jjfluffy11?
I did get an email from Carmen last week regarding the email list they're trying to generate from all the new students/class presidents. This is so that we can ask each other questions, find possible roommates, get to know one another, etc. Did you guys get this too?

No I haven't gotten it yet either. I only gotten an email telling me that i need to send in my final transcript with degree, but I don't really think it is a big deal if we don't go to these type of events. I didn't get that email from Carmen regarding the email list. :p Is it because I am provisional acceptance?!

jjfluffy11 said:
No I haven't gotten it yet either. I only gotten an email telling me that i need to send in my final transcript with degree, but I don't really think it is a big deal if we don't go to these type of events. I didn't get that email from Carmen regarding the email list. :p Is it because I am provisional acceptance?!
jjfluffy11,
I'm not sure why you didn't get Carmen's email. I also have a provisional acceptance, so that can't be the reason. However, I didn't get that email that you did for the final transcript with degree. I think that instead I got a letter a few months ago that asked for my current official transcript and that I send in my official transcript with degree posted on it.
Has anyone else gotten any of these emails?

I got Carmen's email about the distribution list. I didn't get one for the final transcript and degree...that notice came with the provisional acceptance letter. If you didn't get an email for the distribution list, I'm guessing it was just an oversight or a typo. I'd email her though so you'll get the latest email info in the future.

Just to sort of answer a previous post (but not really, I know), the mean 2002 entering GPA was 3.44 overall and 3.35 science. The mean academic average DAT was 20.8 and the average PAT was 20.

Here's the link:
http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/admissions/admiss_program1.html

In general, I think the GPA and DAT trends are going slightly up. So what does that mean? Well, in a way (again, kind of, but not really), it means that if you have a 3.44 and a 21 AA DAT, then you're just average joe/josephine. I think UCSF does a good job of going beyond the numbers by considering heavily your background, committment to your community, and experience in research (as do many other dental schools).

And finally, yes, I was trying to answer the question without answering :)

HBomb said:
Just to sort of answer a previous post (but not really, I know), the mean 2002 entering GPA was 3.44 overall and 3.35 science. The mean academic average DAT was 20.8 and the average PAT was 20.
Just to add to the previous post, the 2003 entering stats did slightly increase: the mean 2003 entering GPA was 3.52 overall and 3.45 science. The mean academic average DAT was 20.78 and average PAT was 19.0.

Hi, my friends in SF,
How is everybody doing? I guess everybody has reviewed the new student fees for us. It is probably time like this to bond our two schools together. Is there anything that we could do? Obviously, we(professional schools) have to communicate better and be united to generate a bigger voice to communicate with our government. I am wondering if you guys/gals are willing to get involved to see if we can group together to do something.

Hey jjfluffy11, Fantasia, akathisia

I'm reviving this thread. I hope that all is well, and I'm very excited for all of us to get started in September. Is housing and financial aid all set in place for you guys? I heard there is a CDA conference coming up. I'm not sure where or when it is, but someone suggested I go to it. Hear anything about it?

Take care,
HBomb.

HBomb said:
Hey jjfluffy11, Fantasia, akathisia

I'm reviving this thread. I hope that all is well, and I'm very excited for all of us to get started in September. Is housing and financial aid all set in place for you guys? I heard there is a CDA conference coming up. I'm not sure where or when it is, but someone suggested I go to it. Hear anything about it?

Take care,
HBomb.

Hi HBomb,
Good to see this thread up again. I'm also excited for all of us to start next month too.
My housing and financial aid is set. All I have left to do now is turn in my white coat ceremony information. How about everyone else?
As far as the CDA conference, I did hear that it was going to be held in San Francisco this fall so we definitly won't be too far from it. But I don't know any other details.

Is the white coast ceremony a big deal? I'm wondering if I should drag my parents through 60+ miles during commute hours to go to this thing.