Who is going to UW (Seattle)??? lets talk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarTiee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am attending UW for Epi...
I have found very few threads on SDN about going to Seattle..
Does anyone know where they are gonna live? What are the best locations? Is Radford Court worth the $1000/ month? etc.......

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I went to UW as an undergrad and will be attending the Social Behavioral Sciences MPH in the fall. I would not live in Radford Court unless you are married or have children. It is not that close to campus and you will be dependent on a bus that only runs every half hour. If you want to live in student housing I have heard good things about the Commodore Dutchess, but honestly, the student housing is way overpriced and I think you would be better off in a one bedroom either in the Eastlake neighboorhood or Capital Hill. The U District (right around UW) is a little overpriced and much louder and these other neighborhoods are really easy to get to and from UW. I would look on craigslist for one bedrooms which should be no more than $750 for a decent one depending on the neighborhood, but if you are looking to spend $1000 you would get a super nice one bedroom off campus. The best way is to find a roommate because 2 bedrooms are not that much more than one bedrooms. For example, I live in Eastlake in a 2 bedroom and our total rent is $1095. The nice thing about student housing is everything is included, but I would not recommend living in Radford court. My friend lived there as an undergrad and it is all families and young kids. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the input HlthBehaviorMPH....
This is exactly what I needed was someone to tell me the truth about the living situation at UW. I feel in the dark and I can't afford to go there to find a place first hand. I realize it is still early to rent for August b/c most complexes only know 30 in advance.

If your (or anyone else) has suggestions for apartment complexes that are good for UW graduate students (away from some of the undergrad craziness) I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't think of any particular apartment complexes, but I would suggest not living in the U District if you can help it. It is really loud and full of mostly undergrads. I have been living in Eastlake neighboorhood this year and I love it. Right by the water and quick bus ride to downtown or UW (like 10 minutes). It is really the best of both worlds, because you are really close, but don't feel like you are in the middle of the craziness. Also it is easy to park a car for free, while you will be charged anywhere from $75- $100+ to park in the U District or Capitol Hill. I would suggest just looking on Craigslist about a month before and coming out one weekend and seriously looking at as many as you can. I picked one weekend to find an apartment and it worked out nicely. I would say the really shady landlords are concentrated in the U District and as long as you avoid there you should be okay. When are you planning to move here? If you find some good places online feel free to message me and I can let you know how the location is.

Hi SmarTiee. I'll also be heading out to Seattle in the fall to start my epi MPH. I was starting to think I was the only person going out there, so I'm glad you posted this. I'll be moving from Washington, DC and am also starting to think about the whole housing thing. I doubt that I'll be able to fly out to search for places in person, either. Where are you coming from? Feel free to PM me.