Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Who is in for the ISAC at Western U?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Paul's Boutique, Apr 11, 2000.

1. Paul's Boutique

ISAC: Intensive Summer Anatomy Course

Anyone, anyone? Frye? Frye? Bueller?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dlbruch

dlbruch Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I declined- Physician friends of mine urged me to just enjoy the summer and not worry too much about school yet. It will be intense no matter what, they advised, and there is real bonding that goes on in first semester anatomy lab that I would miss out on. So, I'm going to soak in the sun and enjoy the time with my wife and son until the real battle commences in August!

4. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

I agree!!! I didn't do ISAC & everything went well for me in anatomy. Although anatomy was very difficult along with the other courses, I wouldn't change my experience. The bondage was great with your collegues especially during crunch time!! Relax for now!!! You will thank me you did because the medical school roller coaster is like the Golliath ride at Six Flags. What an initial drop!!!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

5. bobo

bobo Senior Member

Bondage with colleagues?

DAMN I should have applied to Western!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited 04-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited 04-12-2000).]

6. Paul's Boutique

I wasn't really looking for advice on whether or not to participate: I'm IN. I was merely wondering who else was in...

Summer off, or a much easier fall semester? Believe me, I'll do a little work in the summer.....

See you all in the fall!

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited 04-12-2000).]

7. Chkalov

Chkalov Junior Member

I agree! I think its much better to take anatomy in the summer and have an easier time during the year. There should be enough time for bondage in other classes too. Plus we will have more exposure to anotomy. I will be there in the summer.

8. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Regardless, I don't think the term EASY should be used when you begin in the fall. Eventough you don't have to take anatomy with your regular class, you will still have to facilitate (class demonstrations, assigned certain tables to aid in tutoring, dissection, etc..& attendance is part of your grade) which still places a demand on you. This is all IF you pass ISAC (80%)!!! If you don't pass, which some don't b/c its very demanding, you not only wasted the last free summer you will ever have, but you will have to take the entire anatomy course with the rest of your class AGAIN in the fall. This is only my $0.2, but just relax for the summer. Trust me b/c the hell is about to begin!!!! Good luck to you all!!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 04-14-2000).]

9. miglo

miglo Senior Member

Im not doing the ISAC either. I figured I'd enjoy my summer and relax instead (get acquainted with my apt and new pda). 8 (or was it 7?) weeks of 8-5 doesnt sound too appealing just yet. :p

Plenty of time for pain in the fall!

mig

10. miglo

miglo Senior Member

Good god I've posted 222 messages!?

[​IMG]

mig

11. Paul's Boutique

Bring the pain, guys! Yes, there's more work, but so what? Life is work. I see it's simply a personal decision, and I'm glad Western has it as an option.

Anyway, isn't the summer between your MSI and MSII years -really- your last summer 'off'?

Chkalov, I'll be seeing you on June 9. You can email me if you'd like.

Miglo: I thought you were going elsewhere. I can see by your post that this isn't now the case----what finalized your decision for you?

Future DOc: Thanks for your posts---they've been consistently good. I look forward to possibly meeting you in the future. Thanks again.

PB

12. Paul's Boutique

Future DOc! What's with this IF nonsense! PUHLEEEEZE! You must be thinking of someone else.... (!)

Later, gater...

13. miglo

miglo Senior Member

PB: Where did you get that silly idea?! [​IMG]

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

14. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Sorry fellows...I didn't mean to imply you guys!!! [​IMG] I am sure you will all succeed. I was just referring to some collegues I've met that didn't pass the ISAC & had to take the whole thing again in the fall. Geez, what torture!!! [​IMG] Anyhow, good luck to y'all & I hope we meet when I am back on campus for EFM!! Peace, Future DOc is out for rotations!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

15. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member

That's 20 cents future doc! Younoszai has me on a 'hold' list for ISAC. If I had an opinion I'd give my two-dollar-bill-worth. Dagnabbit what did I do with that decimal point???

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Paul's Boutique

Alexcc...

Have you been calling him? It's T-35 right now.... (!) What's your scoop?....

18. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member

MmmHmmm, Well there goes my summer job. Guess I'll be coming to Pomona early, cuz I dun got in.
    Got the call this mornin', yes I did. See y'all there :p
    Yeeehah!!!

19. Paul's Boutique

Congrats! See you in T-27 days....

Do you have your financial aid in order? You can get your first disbursement on the 9th to cover the ISAC (and BOOKS! I dropped about 250, altho I purchased two atlases....)

20. Chkalov

Chkalov Junior Member

Recently I visited the campus and met one of the TAs who will be helping us during this summer. He was a facilitator for the class of '03. He loved the ISAC program and said that it will be even better this year. There is lot of work involved but the rewards are great. According to him, the only bad side of the program is that during the regular year we will have less to do and may become little lazy, but am sure we can use that extra time to sharpen our knowledge in the other courses.
    See you all this summer!

------------------
    COMP'04

21. Paul's Boutique

Welllllllllllll....

We SHOULD have less to do: we've cracked the books (and our brains) all summer! I certainly expect there to be some relief in the fall-----we will have earned it, don't you agree?

See you there!

22. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member

The first semester's curriculum looks the scariest to me. I'm actually pretty comfortable with what will be taught the following three semesters. So if we do get a break during the first semester, which isn't really the impression I get, We'll still have plenty to study [​IMG]
    Have you looked at that lately? There's ALOT of ground to cover.
    I'm totally excited and nervous about moving to CA and starting med school.
    Hey, my birthday's 6/15 I'm gonna celebrate by going to school for nine hours and cutting up dead people (don't mean to sound insensitive). C'yall soon [​IMG]

23. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Sorry my friend....

The systems are 20X harder than the basic science semester. That is actually the only time where getting straight A's is probable. So, try to secure a good GPA before it gets hammered by the systems.

Good luck my fellow COMPers & work hard to pass ISAC b/c you don't want to repeat it in Fall. Believe me...

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS III