1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Who is ready to quit their sorry job

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cheesypoofs, Mar 30, 2004.

1. cheesypoofs

cheesypoofs Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering how many of you all are ready to quit work. I start school on August 1st and my last day of work is May 31st(i have enough vacation hours where i will still get paid for june). Anyway, I am so sick of this job, its like senioritus all over again. I do research and my boss is a real whack job. How about you guys?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. twinklz

twinklz Lover of Lagomorphs
    7+ Year Member

Oooo... I can relate. I'm also stopping on May 31st.

My current project is to do an inventory of every single chemical in the building along with amount, location, cas number, etc. etc...in a 4 story chemistry building!!! Aargh!

4. cheesypoofs

cheesypoofs Member
    7+ Year Member

i have been editing pictures for publishing for 2 weeks and every time I print a new copy of the pics (boss wants them all in same format) the boss pulls out a ruler and measures the letters to make sure their all identical!

5. LA:)

LA:) Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm all about leaving! it's not that i hate my job. i honestly really am happy to be here & believe in what i do. i'm just tired of waiting. now that i have direction, i want to hurry up and get moving, y'know?!

it's all happening

6. I'm soooooooooo ready to quit. I feel like I'm running up against a brick wall head first and not going anywhere. Bring on the books!

7. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I feel you. I like where I am, but it's really time to move on to bigger and better things...

8. Fritz

Fritz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am ready to start school!!!
    I gave notice. I'll be leaving at the end of May....

9. I so want to quit but feel obligated until June to finish this big project. I have to type 150 pages single spaced. And it's not even an easy BS 150 pages, but lots of data and valid stuff. CRAP!+pissed+

Technically, I can leave whenever, but feel that would be so messed up leaving before this project.

Now that I'm in med school I feel invincible and soooo want to take off, but feel bad screwing over my boss and co-workers with the work.....any suggestions or similar situations?

10. funkless

funkless Apatheist, Anestheologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, waiting tables lost its luster for me about 8 years ago.

As someone just said, bring on the books!

(Of course, by mid-September, we'll be kicking ourselves for ever having complained about being in the outside world.)

--Funkless

P.S. I'm jealous of you May 31sters. I can't quit until school starts. Stupid ol' car payments! Stupid ol' rent! Stupid ol' me and my stupid ol' credit cards!:mad:

11. Chemguync

Chemguync Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took a job as a pharmacy tech cuz it allowed me to travel to all the interviews, and paid just barely enough to cover the travel expenses.. It's turned out to be the most miserable waste of my time I've ever experienced. I don't wish this job on anybody. I'm quitting as soon as I can find a way out. Woohoo medical school!

12. prayerfulMD_MPH2009

7+ Year Member

Hey Cheesy Poof,

I swear that you must be my twin. I am quitting on the 31st, have enough vacation days for june and my boss is just the worst. Hang in there. the end is near.
    Gerry

From Cheesypoof:
    "Just wondering how many of you all are ready to quit work. I start school on August 1st and my last day of work is May 31st(i have enough vacation hours where i will still get paid for june). Anyway, I am so sick of this job, its like senioritus all over again. I do research and my boss is a real whack job. How about you guys?"

13. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

I'm the opposite. I'm getting ready to start a "sorry" job working at a bowling alley. I think it'll be cool cause I'll get to bowl for free. That's really the only reason why I'll be working there this summer.

14. emily69

emily69 going a bit crazy here
    7+ Year Member

YES!!! Dude, you and I have the same schedule as far as quitting the lame job goes. I also do research and my boss has a permanent case of senioritis though she must be 50 or so by now...

I am literally scratching off the days until May31st on my calendar.
    I can't wait to chill out for June and July, travel and vegetate...

15. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Last day at the NPI - July 2nd. Not a day too soon. The job is totally kick back and cool, but I'm ready to start my real life!

16. evines

evines peek-a-boo
    10+ Year Member

This thread was made for me. I am quitting right now, like as I type. I also do research, not self-directed, but everybody in the lab stopped "directing" me this semester. So I don't have anything to do. But I was still expected to go to work everyday, ask if there was any work, and then listen to them tell me "no". Huge waste of my time. And the senioritis didn't help any. So I am not going in anymore.

17. sharsky

sharsky Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OMG this thread was also made for me although I can't quit yet 'coz I'm praying and waiting everyday for my first acceptance. But YES, I am sooo ready to quit my job that I've even written my resignation letter...haha. I shouldn't have done that though or I might jinx myself. What if I don't get accepted this year and I have to keep working? BOoHOO. I think my boss is getting pretty suspicious too...he doesn't know I'm applying and I've been "sick" a lot the past month.

18. traumamonkey

traumamonkey mid-level resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey sharsky, i hope you feel "better" soon and can happily take the letter of resignation and land it right on your boss's desk...i'll keep my fingers crossed for the acceptance letters to come--and quick!

i got my 1st acceptance yesterday and wasted NO time in having a chat with the boss...also in research, also insane boss, also clawing at the door like mad, as much as i have loved it at times it is time to move on!

good luck bailing on crummy jobs all of you! thanks for this great thread that reminded me of why i'm so happy today!!

+pissed+

:laugh:
    :clap:

19. I want to quit my full time research job and find a meaningless job for get through the in between time but the problem is that I'd lose all my benefits and I'd have to work alot harder to make rent in SF etc. So, I'll probably remain complacent and keep working in the lab.

Does anyone have a good ideas for well paying part time jobs? Maybe one that has benefits?

20. XCanadianRagwee

XCanadianRagwee Membership Revoked
    Removed

Yeah...I can't wait to quit this school and drive over to another one to start three months later. Fun Times are ahead.

21. fakeplaztiktree

7+ Year Member

I'm in the same position....it was actually a step up, because apparently there's nothing to do in south florida except call centers and cashiering. I was doing cashiering. So, yeah I'm ready to move on. Woo hoo medical school and boo to people scamming the pharmacies for controlled substances.

22. Super Rob

Super Rob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, some of these medical schools have summer research programs, funded summer research programs. I found this out today, which means that theoretically I can quit my job three months ahead of schedule! Woo hoo!

Now, to find a research project more interesting than my current job. I would rather watch an amoeba float around under a microscope than stay another day at my job so that shouldn't be too difficult.

23. Kimmer

Kimmer Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I quit ONE of my TWO sorry-ass jobs today and gave notice at the other one. I LOVE IT! It was right at the beginning of bi-annual performance review too. Though I am such a wuss, job #1 boss talked me into being on call for another month - I have been kicking myself all day.

24. lukeday99

lukeday99 Nooby
    7+ Year Member

You know, I have the keyest job (as a bartender), yet despite it's ease and the number of women who come on to me regularly (egoboostegoboost), I cannot wait to quit. You know, I realize I'm gonna be like two billion dollars in debt, but I just can't justify bumming around on my credit cards all summer.

How does one appropriately ask parents to give one money so that one can go camping and climbing and drink alot on a beach before giving up one's life forever?

I almost want to do a summer program just to get started.

We are all i[​IMG]nsane, by the way.

25. medman12677

medman12677 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I am so ready to turn in my resignation, put my portfolio in order, purchase a home/condo and start school.

26. Chrisobean

Chrisobean The Killer Bean
    7+ Year Member

abso-f*cking-lutely!

june 25th is it for me, i am trying to take as much vacation time as i can between now and then, and then i will probably get paid for 2 more weeks after i leave. i cant wait!

im actually going on vacation next week (i'm coming for you Mickey!) and my boss already postponed an experiment (which he is totally capable to do by himself) until i get back. :rolleyes:

27. getcloned

getcloned Hilton Magician
    10+ Year Member

can't wait!! my job pays well, and is really laid back... also provided a much coveted LOR. i'm outta here mid-may, will move to lexington with my girlfriend and have a fun chill summer.

prolly head to maine for a few weeks as well... mmm.. lobster and blueberries.

28. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am also resigning on the 31st then I am heading to vegas a few day later. School starts the third week of August. I need time to chill, get laid and get into a new apartment.

29. DrWuStar

DrWuStar YUM
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    heck yeah!! my job sucks, and my boss is a real jack-ass. can't wait to get out. but i think i am going to stay through june, cause the money is good. then just kick it for july and move across the country.

if i get too pissed off, i may quit sooner and just temp or something. that would be nice.

30. Clemson Doc

Clemson Doc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am so thinking of the "Take This Job and Shove It" song right now. :laugh:

I cannot wait to quit my job either...June 30 at the latest.

31. finnpipette

finnpipette Fallen from Grace
    7+ Year Member

I don't hate my job and my boss is really cool, but I'm really looking forward to starting school. I'm really gonna miss the lifestyle change though...doing anything I want in the evenings and weekends...having lots of extra spending cash. oh well. On to med school. :clap:

32. cheesypoofs

cheesypoofs Member
    7+ Year Member

just wondering if anyone has cool boss in the field of research. I am quickly learning that not only my boss but alot in academic research are complete whack jobs!

33. premedmadness

premedmadness Member
    7+ Year Member

my boss/professor is cool... he is definitely not a micro-manager and he is really relaxed. but i work under a post-doc who really doesn't care too much anymore, and it has rubbed off on me! i am also counting down the days till school starts. in my mind, i plan to quit on may 31 but i haven't given notice yet.

34. kiernin

kiernin Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would be totally ready to quit my job too...
    except I already got laid off! Gotta love the tech industry!! Gotta love CA unemployment!!

The layoff was months ago so it was really easy for me to travel to my interviews without having to invent creative excuses for why I was absent. It worked out really well!!

35. sharsky

sharsky Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

haha..i've been inventing a lot of creative excuses...it's really becoming a pain...i went to a "wedding" in hawaii...went to "visit my sister" in philly, called in "sick" while i was in ohio, took a 3 day trip to san francisco with my bf, and next week my friends are visiting me for 2 days so i have to show them around...all these made-up excuses coz of interviews! it's hard keeping up with lies! all i'm saying is these excuses better pay off 'coz i think my boss is about to fire me from missing so many days at work!

36. lizzylu

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was part of the "quit the ****ty job May 31st group"

But then a day before my vacation to India my boss calls me, saying "i'll have to scrap $ by to get you through the end of April"

So it looks like I'm now in the April 30th group.

Can't wait to get away from the micro-managing of academic research, however the missing paycheck is gonna hurt...

Oh well looks like it'll be, "Dad can I borrow some $?"

37. sabrinafair84

sabrinafair84 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

OMG, so glad there are other research people out there like me! My boss isn't crazy but my coworkers are and my job has rapidly descended from researcher to maid. I basically get to clean up after 5 people in my lab. I HATE the autoclave now. Too bad I get paid next to nothing AND have no benefits or I would be quitting May 31st as well. Unfortunately, I do not get vacation time. And I was also caught in the credit card trap (due to getting paid nothing). I've already paid off half of them and am hoping to clear up the rest by August. Grrr! I honestly feel my soul being sucked from my body every day I go to work.

38. Celestron2000

Celestron2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, If you have no benefits and get paid [email protected], why not just get a job at the Gap or something?

39. puff

puff Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi ...

I will be quitting end of May to go back to school (post bac), I'm just wondering if any of you guys
    know anything about unemployment benifit...

I heard I might be able to get the Goverment unempolyment benefit even though leaving at my own will.

By the way, I'm from NEW YORK.

Puff

40. 10minutes

10minutes M.D.Candidate
    5+ Year Member

I plan to keep my part time job as a TA. I don't know if I'll have enough time tho.

41. KatieOConnor

KatieOConnor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's nice to hear there are others like me. I'm applying for Fall 2005 so I'm stuck in my job for longer than you guys. And it SUCKS. My boss, like so many others, is a complete whack job who cannot manage a lab. My co-workers like to scapegoat the technicians. When I started, there were 3 other technicians. Now, all 3 have quit, so there's only me, so it's all my fault. Whatever it is, it's my fault.

I hate it here with a passion but I can't leave because I came here from an even worse lab situation, and to jump to a third lab in the 3 years between college and med school would look bad. I've agreed to stay until December but after that I plan to move in with mom and dad and work in retail or something. Anything is better than this job.

The three techs who left have all worked in other labs and they agree; this is one of the worst lab jobs they've ever heard of. This lab is notorious in HR at my university because there are so many complaints.

42. woolie

woolie Intermountain West
    7+ Year Member

Hi katie,

I like the part about "whatever it is, it's my fault." Yup, gotta love academic research. I worked in a research lab for six months and while in the begining, when I geuss the honeymoon was still on, I was the golden child. By the end, I was running from the PI and hiding everytime I heard her coming. She was scaring the bejebus out of me. :scared: I went from being an intelligent, thoughtful researcher sort of person, to the person who's job it was to FEED and weigh the rats and 10,000 transgenic mice. All the freakin' mice weighed exactly the same - 26 g. The lab was too cheap to pay a tech to do the work.

My job right now is ok I guess, but I am definitely looking forward to leaving. I'm tired of being the 'grunt person' (once again), even tho it is good clinical experience.

43. E.A. Poe

E.A. Poe the man
    7+ Year Member

Sign me up for being sick of the job. I wish I could leave TODAY. Damn responsible work ethic.

44. MsAlaska

MsAlaska Junior Member

He he, I did this some months ago with one of my jobs, similar set-up with research except being a woman I never got any direction except for how to use the dishwasher. Got sick of my boss staring at my breasts (trust me, they aren't even Pamela Andersonesque so go figure). Oh and getting blamed for everything the guy on my project was doing wrong, THEN learning that my boss was going around telling people that I didn't deserve to get into medical school and didn't earn it. :mad: You would think he would be a little more professional. Actually you'd think I would have quit two years ago, and accepted an offer for another lab. Stupid me, and my stupid stubborn work ethic. Should have left them in the lurch like all the other women that worked there before me when they discovered the overt sexist overtones... :confused: Thank God I can shove off from there and not look back except to flip the finger at my boss who is desperately trying to get another job and leave the place:)

45. tygrwds

tygrwds Professional Golfrilla
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hate filing. I'm ready to quit, even if I don't get into school. I also have a strong dislike towards some of the dumba$$ nurses that work there, and tell each other that I can't get into med school, or that I'll become a failure. :mad: I heard that my doctor/boss gave out some of those positions as handouts, and, given that the nurse who's been spreading a lot of this crap for the last 10 months got fired from her last 2 jobs, I am not surprised. But, that doesn't alleviate the frustration of doing something so monotonous for near-minimum wage.

46. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've been doing a lot of hospital homebound lately. It pays good, regular salary($21/hour) plus 40%, and all I have to do is bring work over to students who are sick and stay with them while they do it. $100 for three hours of reading the newspaper while a student does a weeks worth of make up work is nice.

But as for my regular job, I don't get paid enough to explain the motivations of the author in these stories and poems we are supposed to be reading, so I don't. But yeah, I'm ready to leave too

47. DrWuStar

DrWuStar YUM
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i finally set the date for quitting my job. june 25. and the best part is my favorite work friend just got into grad school, so we are going to quit on the same day to f#ck over our lame-ass manager as much as possible. i just can't wait! work is so much more tolerable now that i know i have only 8 weeks and 4 days left. :D

48. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dislike my job so much right now that I can't even write about it...there would be to many TOS violations for language and I would get booted from SDN :eek:

And, it is raining again, where is the damn sun??

(see, I can't even withhold the swearing when discussing the weather...)

49. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm letting my boss know that memorial day is my last day. :D I am happy to go but I will miss some of them folks. I am the first person to ever really leave the dept, everybody else just got fired.

50. dsblaha

dsblaha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a good job but I am ready to go. Check this. . . I work on a team of 8 in a lab responsible for certain product lines. I am leaving 1st week of July and 3 of my teammates are going on maternity leave at the same time! The work force will be cut in half and the department is in a hiring freeze to try and become "leaner/more efficient" With an increasing work load, good luck!

on a separate note: is anybody worried about adjusting from a working lifestyle to one of studying. I am freaked out that I am not going to remember how to study.

51. mdforme

mdforme Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Can I get a hallelujah?

My last day is THIS Friday. I can't wait to get out of my stifling environment with my intolerable boss!