Who is ready to quit their sorry job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man. I dettest this job! I would do anything to quit here tomorrow but I can't till August 22. I start Med. School in September and I need 6000 bucks by than. No way I could pull it of without working here. I'm soooo excited about starting school again after a year of being a parasite and working in this sh** hole like everyday for what have appeared to be endless hours. Yep, ready for a real project.
nascent

Members don't see this ad.

[ I am the first person to ever really leave the dept, everybody else just got fired.[/QUOTE]

You are not the first person yet! Never know what might happen in a few days. :idea:

BushBaby said:
I am also resigning on the 31st then I am heading to vegas a few day later. School starts the third week of August. I need time to chill, get laid and get into a new apartment.

Did you say get laid??? in Vegas???

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year when I graduated I wanted to find a clinical or research position, but instead I found an admin/receptionist position in a corporate law firm (I had clerical experience from college). It's funny because I often wish that that I was doing research so that I would be in a more mentally stimulating environment, but from what you guys are saying research positions don't seem all too exciting.

I work in a very professional environment in an awesome area with an awesome view of the San Francisco Bay, but my job is BORING! I bring a bunch of books to read and I spend way toooooooo much time on SDN. I really don't have that many responsibilities at all. My co-workeers have also been really cool about the whole application process, including time-off for interviews, and they are very cool about me leaving in the summer.

It's just that I get soooooo bored. My mom keeps telling me to enjoy doing "nothing" because soon I will be super busy with med school. I know I should enjoy my time here and live for the moment, it's just that I CAN'T WAIT for school. I feel like I do that a lot--live for the future--and I really wish that I would live more for the present. I am going to make conscious effort to enjoy my time in med school, and I think I will because I do thrive in that nerdy-bookish-learning environment. I really believe that I will go through some major personal growth in med school. AHHHHHHHHHHH See, here I go again, waiting for the future. I am hopeless, but at least I have a nice view.

I disagree with your mom. There are a very few things that are more miserable than doing nothing. People weren't made to sit around and do nothing (for long periods of time that is).

Unless you are running the lab and deciding which experiments to do and why, how to allocate money, etc. research sucks.

Last day is May 31st , and all I can say is THANK GOD! Not that my research job is bad. My boss is totally cool, I get to run my own experiments, lots of down time to surf the web, and I get paid really well . . .its just hella boring. (yes I am from norcal). I can't wait to get out of here and head to Italy!

I recently found out orientation is August 23, so I think I'll quit my lab job at Duke about a month earlier. Then going to have a fabulous, work-free 24th birthday, followed by a wonderfully relaxing few weeks up in Burlington, VT with a certain someone (camping, hiking, swimming in Lake Champlain... who could ask for more?!) Then it's off to the big city!

I tell you, thoughts like this are what get me through the day... :p

snowbear said:
Last year when I graduated I wanted to find a clinical or research position, but instead I found an admin/receptionist position in a corporate law firm (I had clerical experience from college). It's funny because I often wish that that I was doing research so that I would be in a more mentally stimulating environment, but from what you guys are saying research positions don't seem all too exciting.

I work in a very professional environment in an awesome area with an awesome view of the San Francisco Bay, but my job is BORING! I bring a bunch of books to read and I spend way toooooooo much time on SDN. I really don't have that many responsibilities at all. My co-workeers have also been really cool about the whole application process, including time-off for interviews, and they are very cool about me leaving in the summer.

It's just that I get soooooo bored. My mom keeps telling me to enjoy doing "nothing" because soon I will be super busy with med school. I know I should enjoy my time here and live for the moment, it's just that I CAN'T WAIT for school. I feel like I do that a lot--live for the future--and I really wish that I would live more for the present. I am going to make conscious effort to enjoy my time in med school, and I think I will because I do thrive in that nerdy-bookish-learning environment. I really believe that I will go through some major personal growth in med school. AHHHHHHHHHHH See, here I go again, waiting for the future. I am hopeless, but at least I have a nice view.

You sound EXACTLY LIKE ME!!!!! :D I have been working as an admin for the past 3 years and am SO excited to start school!

Until I realized it is a soul sucking portal into hell. I mean who says to themself, "I'm looking for a repetitive role in a tiny room with no windows and lots of carcinogenic agents but I won't accept it unless there's no sunlight or human contact."

Since lab I have branched out and become a currency broker. That's a fancy name for "guy who calls up businessmen all day and tries to extort money from them". I have realized that my true calling is anything other then phone sales. I would rather have an elephant tap dance on my face with golf cleats on then spend another day in phone prison. I can't pick up a phone without trying to sell someone something they don't need. I sold my Mom a vaccuum that doesn't even work. J/K.

But the best part which I'm sure you're all dying to know, is which school I'm going to. Hooray, I'm still on the waiting lists. And the misery drags on.

I got a research tech job to fill the year between undergrad and medical school. My last day is 5/21, and I can't be happier. I start school August 23rd.

I know several things after working in my lab for a year.

1. I hate, hate, hate flourescent lights.
2. Management cliches are substitutes for thought, e.g. "Let's hit the ground running bright and early tomorrow." Who on Earth responds to this kind of horse****?
3. The technical side of research is incomparably boring.
4. Not actively pursuing your passion in life spells imminent spiritual death.
5. If I were doing this for more than a year, I would go crazy.

I do, however work with some of the best people I've ever met. They keep it enjoyable. I will definitely miss them, but I know now that clinical medicine is the only way to go for me. I need excitement in my career, and research just doesn't give me that.

Just handed in my notice -- my last day will be May 31, a company holiday. :smuggrin: My job was ok. If you consider glorified data entry to be intellectually stimulating. The weird thing is, I got paid more to do this than I would have been paid to be a lab rat. I only worked here for 7 months, but at least I had health insurance.

At least I'll have less paperwork as a physician. ;)

Gosh, I love this thread. I get warm fuzzies every time I read about people quitting their blue/white collar work and pursue the degree of choice. My count-- May 28th is the last day before I adios outta there. :cool:

Is anyone still working? My last day is June 30th. I can't wait. I don't want to be at work right now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My last day at my job was last Thursday. I'll be spending the rest of the day by the pool, thank you very much. :D :thumbup:

I am still working as a research assistant. I am getting married on saturday and I have to complete some data by tomorrow afternoon. Its sucks because it cant wait 'til after my honeymoon. Also, when I get back from my honeymoon I cant leave my job because I have to pay rent for atleast another month. Then my wife and I have to pack our bags for Philly.

I turned my 2 wks notice in last Friday! :clap:
It's really been a pretty good job and my co-workers are great...
but I can't say I'll be sorry to leave, if only because I'm moving on and doing something for me now...
Oh yeah, and not too sorry to be headed to sunny Mexico in a couple of weeks. :cool: :D

Ohh...One more thing. When I graduated college in 2001 my mom promised me a plane ticket to Costa Rica. Well, I never got to use it and I have not been to CR in three years. I was going to use it this year but that also fell through because of my f-ing job and the big R, responsibility. Uggghhhh

W222 said:
Ohh...One more thing. When I graduated college in 2001 my mom promised me a plane ticket to Costa Rica. Well, I never got to use it and I have not been to CR in three years. I was going to use it this year but that also fell through because of my f-ing job and the big R, responsibility. Uggghhhh

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :( I'm sorry, that totally $uck$! :(

Have fun in Mexico Celestron. I am jealous. I am sure we will run into one another at Jefferson, I'll look for the overly tan person with a sombraro.

Thanks! :hardy: :horns:
BTW Congrats on getting married! :thumbup:

(I graduated in 2000, so I guess there really will be alot of us oldies but goodies at Jeff ;) )

im currently working in life insurance. enough said.
i cant believe i have another whole year to work before i [HOPEFULLY *crossing fingers*] get to start school again. im really glad i took the time off and everything, but working a crap job just blows!!!

and YAY for everyone who has been able to already give their notices! :) :thumbup:

CELESTRON Yah, its good to know there are going to be some older folks. Not that my wife and I dont party, but we have sorta grown out of the "getting so drunk we puke on ourselves" stage of life. That was so last year.

sorry for you guys who have to sweat it out this summer--and very happy to hear that some have already gotten out!

my last day is july 2nd....and both the calendar and dry erase board have running counts ;)
moving my stuff to new york this weekend, then back up here for one more week of work. ugh
must......escape....this.....place....soon!

good luck to all

......sooooooo depressing......... :(

Happy for y?all though??

Am I the only one going to be working until the end of July? I am finishing up my AmeriCorps year and I have to complete the 1700 hours. I should be done by 7/31 but considering I am now doing nothing but data entry (isn't AmeriCorps all about Direct Service??! isn't data entry against their rules?! ... ) I am so looking forward to getting it over with. Nothing like sitting in a room by yourself all day doing computer work ... :rolleyes:

Fortunately my other volunteer spots are awesome, but this cr@p bites.

my last day is june 30. next wednesday!!! t minus five work days and counting. oh i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait! :hardy:

Just handed in my notice -- my last day will be May 31, a company holiday

I would *seriously* advise against this. I tried this stunt when I quit my last job. They kindly informed me that "Oh, since that's a company holiday, your last day of work will be the day before that."

The way to properly do this is to schedule your last day as the day after your company holiday. Just call in sick from the beach. Might as well get paid for two days you didn't work, right?

I'm assuming you worked for a blood-sucking corporation like mine. They had this perfect system set up where they could effectively make me work ovetime without paying me--at all. I definitely found ways to compensate myself, though, including the mentioned holiday scheduling.

Ames980 said:
im currently working in life insurance. enough said.
i cant believe i have another whole year to work before i [HOPEFULLY *crossing fingers*] get to start school again. im really glad i took the time off and everything, but working a crap job just blows!!!

and YAY for everyone who has been able to already give their notices! :) :thumbup:

I am in the same boat as you. I also work in a life insurance/investment company and will be stuck here for one more year (assuming that I get in somewhere). I often wonder how I will make it. I don't know how I have lasted 4 years at a tedious and unfulfilling job. At least I'll finally be vested in the retirement plan before I leave (unless they fire my lazy ass).

i

21 more days (including today) of employment.

Tick, tock, tick, tock....

Less than a week left! This time next week I will be a free woman! And now for some CD indexes :(

Yesterday was my last day!!!! Thank you God!!

I'm *really* hungover today. :p

I'm not even close to applying, but I am handing in my two week notice tomorrow a.m. with a big smile on my face! Chill out for a month and enjoy the gorgeous Colorado summer, then postbacc and less stressful job, here I come. I would gladly take a "cheesy" job right now, one that I can leave at work at the end of the day :thumbup:

I love my job, but I can't wait to do medical school.

*someone please accept me to your medical school*

dc

I quit on Friday July 2nd.

An annoying, incompetent client who somehow managed to get to a very lofty position in an aerospace contractor called me last night at 8:00pm on my personal line at home to ask me to help them with their eye tracking system. I pretended to care for 5 minutes, faked static, hung up, and refused to answer.

Boss is out of town, so the fallout and my eventual firing wouldn't be until, oh hey, july 2nd!!! yipee!

Three weeks from today is my last day! Only 13 more days of work (I'm taking a long fourth of July weekend)!!!

Kingcer0x - what kind of eyetracking systems do you work with? What are you using them for? I've worked with several different systems (ISACN, Eyelink, Fourward) in research on psycholinguistics.

Brickhouse said:
Yesterday was my last day!!!! Thank you God!!

I'm *really* hungover today. :p

Yay Brickhouse! Congrats! :clap: How exciting; what are you going to do with all of your free time? When are you guys leaving for Mexico?

I finished my CD Indexes. Yay! Now, for some quality SDN time and reading :) And then some more accounting after lunch :(

June 29th is my last day..........I'M SO OVER THIS JOB uggggggggggggggggggh

Celestron2000 said:
In Mexico July 7!!! :hardy: :horns: :hardy:
...it's all good :thumbup:

ill be in the mexico the week after! yay for summer breaks!

Celestron2000 said:
In Mexico July 7!!! :hardy: :horns: :hardy:
...it's all good :thumbup:

I am leaving for Rio de Janeiro on July 5th :clap: :hardy:
Yay!

my last day is 7/16. 14 more work days. God, get me out of here!!!!!!!!!

kristabel said:
Three weeks from today is my last day! Only 13 more days of work (I'm taking a long fourth of July weekend)!!!

Kingcer0x - what kind of eyetracking systems do you work with? What are you using them for? I've worked with several different systems (ISACN, Eyelink, Fourward) in research on psycholinguistics.

I work for SensoMotoric Instruments. If your eyelink system is the original eyelink, it is probably from us. We make video based systems just like the ones you are used to from ISCAN and EyeLink. I dont know the Fourward system, could you tell me a little about it?

We have one system that is used extensively for psycholinguistics, its our high speed eye tracker (the Hi-Speed)... also the fastest shift compensating video based dark pupil system at 350Hz (thats pupil - CR tracking, also known to the academic literature readers as the 1st purkinje image I believe). We hope to have 1kHz eye trackers our for reading/psycholinguistics by the middle of next year. There is a rush to get that speed because, if you didnt already knopw, Skalar will discontinue production of scleral search coils soon, meaning that video based eyetrackers will be (in most cases) the only choice. I think video systems are better for your type of work anyway, those coils are annoying for subjects.

Check out our website www.smiusa.com, or drop me an email if you'd like to learn more ([email protected]). Where are/were you located? Specifically what kind of experiments do you run?

kingcer0x said:
I work for SensoMotoric Instruments. If your eyelink system is the original eyelink, it is probably from us. We make video based systems just like the ones you are used to from ISCAN and EyeLink. I dont know the Fourward system, could you tell me a little about it?

We have one system that is used extensively for psycholinguistics, its our high speed eye tracker (the Hi-Speed)... also the fastest shift compensating video based dark pupil system at 350Hz (thats pupil - CR tracking, also known to the academic literature readers as the 1st purkinje image I believe). We hope to have 1kHz eye trackers our for reading/psycholinguistics by the middle of next year. There is a rush to get that speed because, if you didnt already knopw, Skalar will discontinue production of scleral search coils soon, meaning that video based eyetrackers will be (in most cases) the only choice. I think video systems are better for your type of work anyway, those coils are annoying for subjects.

Check out our website www.smiusa.com, or drop me an email if you'd like to learn more ([email protected]). Where are/were you located? Specifically what kind of experiments do you run?

Your systems sound very similar the ones I have used. I have only used video systems - I don't know anything about the scleral search coils! A 1 kHz eyetracker sounds amazing - the eyetracker I primarily used (the ISCAN) was 120 Hz. I have done research at Mount Holyoke College - my professor there got one of the Fourward systems just before I graduated, so I only got to play with it a little bit. The Fourward eyetrackers are pretty similar in function to the ISCAN trackers, but they can be customized more readily. I did graduate work in the psychology department at Georgia Tech where I used the ISCAN and dabbled in working with the Eyelink (which was purchased second hand from another lab!). Our research was primarily on the relationship between eye movements and speech production. I left the lab about 6 months ago, but I had to say something when you mentioned to eyetracking - it certainly doesn't come up here often!

Sorry to highjack the thread - I'm still ready to quit my sorry job!! ;)

kristabel said:
Your systems sound very similar the ones I have used. I have only used video systems - I don't know anything about the scleral search coils! A 1 kHz eyetracker sounds amazing - the eyetracker I primarily used (the ISCAN) was 120 Hz. I have done research at Mount Holyoke College - my professor there got one of the Fourward systems just before I graduated, so I only got to play with it a little bit. The Fourward eyetrackers are pretty similar in function to the ISCAN trackers, but they can be customized more readily. I did graduate work in the psychology department at Georgia Tech where I used the ISCAN and dabbled in working with the Eyelink (which was purchased second hand from another lab!). Our research was primarily on the relationship between eye movements and speech production. I left the lab about 6 months ago, but I had to say something when you mentioned to eyetracking - it certainly doesn't come up here often!

Sorry to highjack the thread - I'm still ready to quit my sorry job!! ;)

That is cool! We have a 60 Hz system at GT, and I think an fMRI compatible one too. and I think know where that EyeLink came from :)

So i guess I dont hate my job all that much, eye tracking is interesting. But im thankful i dont have to do it again come friday !!! You wouldnt believe the egos of some of the people in this business.....

So what jobs does everyone do?

I am a receptionist/admin assistant at a law firm. Blehhhhhh :sleep:

I am stuck here until mid-August :mad: Oh well. UCD starts so late (mid-Sept) that I really have no choice if I want to be able to eat and pay rent. I envy all of you who are done sooner.

I am in a fellowship with the State of California. I do policy research. The job itself and the program I am in are not bad and have their really cool moments. But I am just so burnt out and ready to move on and start school. I can't wait :D

snowbear said:
So what jobs does everyone do?

I am a receptionist/admin assistant at a law firm. Blehhhhhh :sleep:

I'm a tech in a neuro research lab. :)

Hospital social worker. For 14 more working days.