Sekiray

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
Status
I was ripping through my secondaries in the first month (all through july)
but now... Im honestly starting to slow down. Maybe its because my work is getting busier, or my summer classes are nearing an end, or not seeing any changes to my status, or whatever but after turning in 14 secondaries... (and 14 to go, but I prob wont do many more) Im burning out... Anyone else?
Or are you guys like the energizer bunny? haha

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
dude i feel EXACTLY the way u do. in fact i have the exact same reasons for slownig down too. work is busier. stupid writing class ends in 2 weeks. no status changes whatsoever. 21 secondaries submitted already.. 6 more to go.

this is only the beginning of waiting man. gotta summon up some strength and make sure we work just as hard on these final secondaries as we did on the first ones. good luck!

About the Ads

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I'm just now getting started. It makes sense that I'm not yet fatigued, when I've only submitted 7 secondaries to date. You all are beasts.

...but Pritzker is going down. TODAY. And my only real hold-up with others is the want of a printer to print out PDF files such as Tulane's, and a decent digital head-shot for SLU's secondary.

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm with you. 5 submitted and working on the 6th. Still have 8 more to go. One of the things making me lose a little wind is that a few of my LOR's won't be sent in for a few more weeks at least (due to summer vacations for faculty). Most schools probably won't even look at a file until it is fully complete. So no immediate gratification for writing a bazillion essays. But it will all be worth it in the long run!

OP
S

Sekiray

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
Status
Robizzle said:
dude i feel EXACTLY the way u do. in fact i have the exact same reasons for slownig down too. work is busier. stupid writing class ends in 2 weeks. no status changes whatsoever. 21 secondaries submitted already.. 6 more to go.

this is only the beginning of waiting man. gotta summon up some strength and make sure we work just as hard on these final secondaries as we did on the first ones. good luck!
dude you are a beast 21???? holy damn

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
9 done. 1 in the midst. 4 waiting to be received.

I am so ready to just sit back and wait (though I am sure it will drive me crazy). But honestly, this secondary stuff is really hard to get done sometimes. I had a huge slow down for the applications I got before I went to the beach. 3rd week of july isn't a time to take a vacation let me tell you. then when i got home I had to move out of my apartment and work and all the other damn things we all do, so it was def. a slow down. I'm pickin' up pace again, but the slow certification process is getting to me.

i just want these to be done and start getting interview invites!!

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
joanofarc0907 said:
9 done. 1 in the midst. 4 waiting to be received.

I am so ready to just sit back and wait (though I am sure it will drive me crazy). But honestly, this secondary stuff is really hard to get done sometimes. I had a huge slow down for the applications I got before I went to the beach. 3rd week of july isn't a time to take a vacation let me tell you. then when i got home I had to move out of my apartment and work and all the other damn things we all do, so it was def. a slow down. I'm pickin' up pace again, but the slow certification process is getting to me.

i just want these to be done and start getting interview invites!!
Yeah, I kind of feel like I'll start to get anxious when I have no more secondaries in front of me to fill out. It's all out of my hands at that point; nothing more I can do.

...not that I should use that as an excuse to get lazy with secondaries.

ltrain

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
i submitted my primary and went on vacation. then i came back for a week and went on vacation again. now i have 19 secondaries waiting for me. i've only submitted six. i want to die.

as06

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Houston
Status
Pre-Medical
ltrain said:
i submitted my primary and went on vacation. then i came back for a week and went on vacation again. now i have 19 secondaries waiting for me. i've only submitted six. i want to die.
at least you didn't go on a vacation or two before submitting your primary...whoops

swtiepie711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I submitted my primary, then focused on our wedding (late June). Got back from the honeymoon and secondaries started rolling in. I was overwhelmed by the first few, but then got into a groove. I have submitted 23 to date, have 2 waiting to go in (Harvard & UConn - which, btw, they mailed to me with a letter saying the secondary was enclosed - but no secondary! I'm awaiting the papers as we speak), and have 3 yet to receive (Stanford, Oregon & UCLA/Drew)....

Yes, I'm no more anxious that I was before. It's pretty much all out there in space, now I just sit back and wait...

About the Ads

ltrain

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
as06 said:
at least you didn't go on a vacation or two before submitting your primary...whoops
haha. hey, it's the summer. all year long i've been working hard at my job, going to school, and studying for the freaking mcat. it's time for a break! (i bet you deserve one too)

yeah, i anticipate no anxious feelings when i finish them. i just want to go to back to feeling like it's okay to go out at night or sleep instead of staying up writing essays.

narc

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status
25 done and still going strong. Shooting for 30 by the end of this week.

narc

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status
Robizzle said:
DAMN HOWD U SURPASS ME? NOOOOOOOO

time to get workin on my damned life in discovery

I did 5 this weekend which helped. I really need to finish Davis and Loyola today.

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Wow...some of you guys are applying to a lot of schools.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Pritzker = done

whyadoctor

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
hey i have a question for all you people....
i don't have one of my Letters of rec yet, but can I turn in my secondary application without the letters, and then turn in the letters later on?
thanks for your help

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
whyadoctor said:
i don't have one of my Letters of rec yet, but can I turn in my secondary application without the letters, and then turn in the letters later on?
thanks for your help
hell yeah

ltrain

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
whyadoctor said:
thanks for your help
yep, absolutely. i'm still waiting on my composite letter from my undergrad, which should be done soon, but i've been sending in secondaries as i finish them. might as well get them your part so that once the letters are in you'll be complete (and not have to wait for your stuff to be processed).

as06

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Houston
Status
Pre-Medical
ltrain said:
haha. hey, it's the summer. all year long i've been working hard at my job, going to school, and studying for the freaking mcat. it's time for a break! (i bet you deserve one too)

yeah, i anticipate no anxious feelings when i finish them. i just want to go to back to feeling like it's okay to go out at night or sleep instead of staying up writing essays.
haha, trust me I'm not criticizing you for your vacations. I'm saying I took 2 before finishing my primaries. I thought I'd finish them in between the trips, but they ended up taking much more time than I thought. I completely hear you on the hard work. I needed a break and I'm glad I took two.

and this thread makes me feel so far behind (6 secondaries done, 14 to go...don't have them all, though, as I'm not verified)

About the Ads

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
swtiepie711 said:
I submitted my primary, then focused on our wedding (late June). Got back from the honeymoon and secondaries started rolling in. I was overwhelmed by the first few, but then got into a groove. I have submitted 23 to date, have 2 waiting to go in (Harvard & UConn - which, btw, they mailed to me with a letter saying the secondary was enclosed - but no secondary! I'm awaiting the papers as we speak), and have 3 yet to receive (Stanford, Oregon & UCLA/Drew)....

Yes, I'm no more anxious that I was before. It's pretty much all out there in space, now I just sit back and wait...
the harvard secondary is online...there is a link to it in the letter to the applicants attached in the email, if you got the same email i did.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
leahmaria said:
the harvard secondary is online...there is a link to it in the letter to the applicants attached in the email, if you got the same email i did.
Not to mention it's essay-free, if you're applying to "The New Pathway."

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah, it's been about a week since I've even attempted to submit something. I'm all essayed out.

booswim542

Walkin' on Sunshine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
East coast-ish
Status
Medical Student
I have 14 done, still waiting for Drexel and Emory, and then whatever that crazy process is at Mayo. They got my fee today, so if they like my primary, I suppose I will hear back about a secondary/phone secondary.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I've pretty much finished all of the secondaries I can, at this point. I may add to AMCAS another school that has released their secondary so I can keep myself busy.

swtiepie711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Looque said:
Not to mention it's essay-free, if you're applying to "The New Pathway."
Yeah, my problem is that I don't have a non-science LOR - most schools who require it have granted me an exemption, but I haven't heard back from Harvard yet - not going to bother with a secondary & fees & LOR Fees if they won't review me, you know? plus it's not rolling...

anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
You guys are applying to a LOT of schools. I submitted my primary two weeks ago to 15 schools, still waiting to be verified, and haven't submitted any secondaries yet. I'm a little sketched out about submitting a secondary before the primary went in.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
anka24 said:
You guys are applying to a LOT of schools. I submitted my primary two weeks ago to 15 schools, still waiting to be verified, and haven't submitted any secondaries yet. I'm a little sketched out about submitting a secondary before the primary went in.
Yeah, don't start submitting secondaries until you're verified. You can work on them, though.

ltrain

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
swtiepie711 said:
Yeah, my problem is that I don't have a non-science LOR - most schools who require it have granted me an exemption, but I haven't heard back from Harvard yet - not going to bother with a secondary & fees & LOR Fees if they won't review me, you know? plus it's not rolling...
Hmm, does Harvard specify that it has to be an academic non-science LOR? If so I may need to invoke the AMCAS-style separation of "science" and "engineering"...

ltrain

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
ltrain said:
Hmm, does Harvard specify that it has to be an academic non-science LOR? If so I may need to invoke the AMCAS-style separation of "science" and "engineering"...
Ah, never mind. Now I see. It's okay if I have a composite letter.

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looque said:
I've pretty much finished all of the secondaries I can, at this point. I may add to AMCAS another school that has released their secondary so I can keep myself busy.
unless you haven't updated your mdapps, maybe you should consider finishing those secondaries before adding new schools to complete for fun! :laugh:

And also, you guys are seriously applying to a ton of schools. I can't imagine trying to finish 20some secondaries!

Hkoser

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
Tempe, AZ
Status
Pre-Medical
Copy and paste.

Erina

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i've turned in everything i could so far and have had nothing to do for like a week...but im not complaining--i need all the energy i can get for that duke one when it comes out!

DF38

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
FL
Status
Attending Physician
Wow, you guys are beasts. I think I'd die if I had 20 or 30 secondaries to do!

I'm starting to slow down too. I've got 13 done, 4 to go (but one is Drexel, which hasn't been sent out yet). I *should* be done with Columbia and EVMS tonight, we'll see, I don't like my Columbia essay but frankly I've had the secondary for over a month and I don't think the essay is going to magically improve any. After that I just have to make it through the beast of a secondary that is Stony Brook (IMO, the contemporary medical issue that needs to be addressed is how ridiculously hard and obnoxious it is to get into med school, but I don't think they want to hear about that).

And I go back to school Saturday morning (working FULL TIME during football preseason) so I need to get this stuff finished asap! Eeek!

Svidrillion

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
F-town
Status
I've done 17, waiting to receive two, and I only need to finish one more that I have received: Stonybrook. I just don't want to do it. It's like...why does Stony have to make it so hard? You've got to print out the secondary, type up three one page essays that are nothing like anyone else's (so no cutting and pasting), and then make a photocopy of the whole secondary and send both the copy and the original in the mail with a check for $100.

I just don't know if I can go through with the whole thing.

Please...someone...help me. I can't go on like this anymore:

why can't everything just be done online?

DF38

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
FL
Status
Attending Physician
Svidrillion said:
I've done 17, waiting to receive two, and I only need to finish one more that I have received: Stonybrook. I just don't want to do it. It's like...why does Stony have to make it so hard? You've got to print out the secondary, type up three one page essays that are nothing like anyone else's (so no cutting and pasting), and then make a photocopy of the whole secondary and send both the copy and the original in the mail with a check for $100.

I just don't know if I can go through with the whole thing.

Please...someone...help me. I can't go on like this anymore:

why can't everything just be done online?
I feel the EXACT SAME WAY about it. Seriously, online is the way to go, they need to get on that. Or at least, make it so that we can type into the pdf. And they need to find better questions. Basically, they need to redo their whole damn secondary.

About the Ads