Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Who is studying for Jan. PCAT?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by shoppe, Dec 18, 2005.

1. shoppe

shoppe Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Ok, so i'm taking a break from studying for PCAT. No I didn't study 10 hrs a day but I manage to study well pass my bedtime story. hehe Today is my 3rd day studying and tomorrow, I will finish up on the biology section of the Kaplan book. Besides Kaplan, I also use my old biology notes. I don't know if all these studying will do me any good but I think i'm going to skip bacteria and viruses. On the 5th and 6th day, i'm just going to do A LOT of practice problems since I got the petersen's 2003-2005 and the Barron's and another book A&P review with lots of questions on there.

Phew... My head hurts. Who is studying with me?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Nope, but studying for the June one myself, since I really won't have hardly any time to study for it after the 1st. So, I'm in a similiar boat :p Good luck though!

4. Slangindempillz

Slangindempillz Shinin' like diamonds
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm studying with you. I wouldn't skip the bacteria and viruses if I was you. I know studying right now sucks bad, but I want to get into pharmacy school next fall. Just think, this summer we will have to do absolutely nothing just like the majority of our friends right now. It sucks because part of you wants to say, "Hey it is christmas break, and boy do I need a break!" While part of you knows that if you don't study your butt off all break your going to be PISSED when a Great PCAT score doesnt come back after January 21. We just need to encourage ourselves to keep going.

5. Plowi

Plowi Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Hey man. Im studying for it too. Right now Im using the 2006-2007 version of the Kaplan PCAT heavily. It is nice to get this test over with now IMO and show those pharmacy boys what we can do. Im tending to start off with biology and chemistry, and do practice review problems from another book which has 200 questions on each topic. I am considering PCAT professor but am not sure if I need it.

Goodluck with your PCAT man.

6. dstormz

dstormz Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm also studying for the test right now :)

I just wish I should have started sooner. sigh.

Good luck. Let us know if there are any pointers.

7. shoppe

shoppe Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hum.. Genetics take more time than I thought to study so I guess i'll finished the biology section tomorrow. I'm using the Kaplan 2006-2007 along with my old biology notes. For this week, I read an article or two every morning; practice math questions on other pcat book to work on speed; and study biology. If I have time, I would just look at this vocabulary cartoon book to learn new words. If not, I'm just going to end the day with biology. On thursday, I plan to be thru with the biology section and go out of town that day but return late at night. Friday, i'll start the chemistry section, although I will take 2 or 3 hrs each day building on my speed for math, biology, and reading. I think i'll study for chemistry and organic for the next two weeks.

So what are you guys studying so far? What are ya doing?

8. Slangindempillz

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I made a 91 in bio last time, and an 82 in quant somehow. And Bombed the remaining sections. So i'm pretty much looking at everything, concentrating on everyhing but biology.

9. shoppe

shoppe Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    how are you studying for reading and verbal?
    What's your composite? It seems like your subscores in the two hardest sections are purty good. Why take it again? Man.. if i make at least 85%, I will NEVER TAKE A LOOK AT PCAT AGAIN! heheh

10. Slangindempillz

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    LOL my composite was a 55. Yes I did that bad in everything else

11. dstormz

dstormz Member
    10+ Year Member

Was there orgo II in the chem section?

Also, was there a lot of focus on human biology? I never took anatomy or physiology.

hate it.

12. starrfishes

starrfishes Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

There's no Orgo II, just focus on elementary Orgo I--the first semester should do it! I never took anatomy or physiology either, but I'm thinking there may be a couple of questions on there. Know your general biology really well. I just hope they don't focus too heavily on any one part of biology and test us on something we won't really pay attention to.

I was taking the diagnostic exams and seeing how fast and accurate I can get the questions right, but oh my gosh, 30 minutes for 58 multiple choice questions, or it's either 45 minutes for 58 questions--basically, either you really know it or you don't!! That's about 2 questions per minute!! Doing these practice exams under time pressure really makes a difference. Time is the greatest enemy for me. You'll see how fast you have to go. Focus on your weaknesses the most.

...I can't wait until tet.

13. trinnieoh

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'll be studying for the January 21st test date.

First timer here, so kinda nervous. I've beat through the Barron's but I'm going to really study the biology on the Kaplan book.

14. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've bought CliffsQuickReview for Calculus, Biology and Chemistry. I also bought Barron's Organic Chemistry review book by J. Wm. Suggs. I'll skim over Kaplan's 2005-2006 PCAT book and mostly use it for working out time management.... and to study my verbal.

I wish I could focus on one or two subjects... but my past PCAT scores went like this:
    2004 Oct
    60 Verbal
    85 Biology
    86 Reading
    44 Quant
    79 Chemistry
    76 Composite

2005 Oct
    75 Verbal
    91 Biology
    71 Reading
    64 Quant
    44 Chemistry 4 Writing
    75 Composite

I'm so all over the freakin place...

15. dstormz

dstormz Member
    10+ Year Member

ethyl, your composites are good. you should have gotten in? :(

I was aiming for 70 composite.

16. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    My top goal is UF. :( From what I've read on SDN, we have to be near pefect. :oops: I wish our highest individual scores could be combined.

17. shoppe

shoppe Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm just taking a break from studying for PCAt. This is the 3rd week of my studying session. I am now studying for chemistry. Somehow the more I study, the more confident I feel because I feel like this is just a brush up on what I should have known and things come back very quickly. I got distracted for a few days since I have to work more hrs and my bf was here. Now that everything is settling down, I suppose I'll study hardcore for these last few weeks before PCAT.

Ok, so here's my question in case u're wondering what is her point! I decided to study for organic chem first since I just finished it two semester ago and the materials are relatively fresh compared to gen chem. I was wondering should I study for mechanisms and reactions? I'm skimming thru the Kaplan and from whatever it said on the organic chem section, I look it up in my textbook and study only that chapter pertaining to the materials covered in Kaplan. However, the materials in Kaplan for organic seem to be very short and easy. I was wondering ... am I missing something? Surely this is not it... right?

18. Swenis

Swenis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    My main worry right now is quantitative. I've gone over the QA section in Kaplan's, but where can I find lots of good questions that would actually be indicative of the PCAT?