Who is the Eye Dr:)?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by WanabeDR, Jun 18, 2001.

1. WanabeDR

WanabeDR Senior Member

I need more details about the difrence between Opthamologists and Optometrist?
    Do they work together?
    Why patients have to visit both of them?
    Can Opthamologists do Optometrist job? ;)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dreamer

Dreamer Senior Member

Hey,
    I believe I saw this discussion either in the Optometry or in Pre-Optometry. In my opinion it was explanatory.

4. WanabeDR

WanabeDR Senior Member

yes, you don't have to comment if you had alrady seen this topic ;)

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess you have pursued your quest for knowledge between the two differing disciplines.... Post at the Pre-Optometry thread and you'll get your questions answered, if you haven't already.

6. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair

So you don't have to search for your answer, I thought I would help. I have been an Optician for eight years, so I have worked with both professions. Optometrists attend Optometry school for 4 years following a bachelor's degree (not required, but recommended, just like most med schools). They are not required to attend a residency, but one year residencies are available to specialize. The school covers most anatomy, but focuses on the eye (no pun intended!). As far as licensure, Optometrists can co-manage and treat all eye conditions; they cannot do surgery, but can prescribe medications, as long as they are eye-related. Ophthalmologists, on the other hand, attend medical school, D.O. or M.D., and complete a residency in Ophthalmology, allowing them to practice as unlimited physicians, performing eye surgery and any other function of medicine they desire and can relate to the eye. In other words, an Ophthalmologist can practice as an Optometrist, but not vice versa. Although he can practice Optometry, most Ophthalmologists prefer not to, because there is more money to be made in eye surgery than in eye refraction. Because of this (and because of Medicare guidelines), most Optometrists do not charge as much as Ophthalmolgists, thus the need for both. The usual patient routine is to see an Optometrist until a referral to an Ophthalmologist is necessitated, just as your PCP can refer you to a general surgeon as needed. I hope this helps!

7. WanabeDR

WanabeDR Senior Member

Thank you John DO, that is what I was looking for. :)

8. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    But, that's EXACTLY the answer you got over in the Optometry forum. ;)

9. WanabeDR

WanabeDR Senior Member

:) I know CPW, I am just saying (thank you) to the guy for his comment that is all.