who is the greatest physician of all time ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abracadabraone

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
please state your choice...

(osler ?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

In all seriousness, I don't think you could really say who was the greatest physician of all time, because there are so many definitions of a "great" physician. Great in research? Great with clinical diagnoses? Great with patient rapport? I'd argue that the physician who made the most impact was, of course, Hippocrates, if you could consider him a physician.

Andrew Taylor Still

(srs)

Two of my nominees:

b6488ee3.gif

tumblr_lac9tgK25F1qzmvhdo1_500.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Srs answer Louis Pasteur, but I think he was a doctor as opposed to a physician.

Last edited:
How about any doctor that cares and does their best to save your life, regardless of the seriousness of your condition?

It's ridiculous to try and rank doctors, real or fake, because there really isn't any way to rank this profession. You can't say that Dr. X is better than Dr. Y because he's saved more people or done more research or contributed to public medical ethics discourse more. The only people who can say that Dr. X is better are those who have a reason to, i.e. those patients who have had some sort of rapport with him. Whether that means that he was the first one to honestly tell them they need to consider losing some weight, or if he was the first one to empatheticaly suggest hospice, it doesn't matter. It differs with every patient and every case, and everyone has their own reasoning.

The best doctor is always the one who heals you or eases the pain of a terminal illness. You can't judge or list that.

/endseriousness

SDN is such a waste of server space.

Last edited:
Julius Erving (aka Dr. J!:thumbup:)

But seriously. Lebron James

Pfft....

Here's the real deal:

house.jpg

Btw, Dr. House disapproves of your choice.

Dr. Cox doesn't give a crap...
House ftl...he is always drugged and he is crippled,...whileDr. Cox is funny and muscular... I think we know who is the better man here

My rankings

1. Galen
2. Dre
3. Pepper
4. Jack from Lost
5. House

I really thought that jack from lost had potential but he blew it for me when he chose kate over juliet.

My rankings

1. Galen
2. Dre
3. Pepper
4. Jack from Lost
5. House

I really thought that jack from lost had potential but he blew it for me when he chose kate over juliet.

LOL but I think Juliet and Sawyer are better together

Dexter Morgan

But not a physician =x

/srsanswer
I have to lean towards Lister. How many millions of lives has "wash your hands between patients and before surgery" saved?

Ancient: Sabuncuoğlu Şerafeddin, an Ottoman Imperial surgeon who actually recorded the history of women physicians/surgeons at the time.

Modern: Paul Farmer. I think I'd do anything for that man.

I love House lol. If an adcom were asking me this question, I would never say House, but he saves people that would probably end up dying without him. But his horrible bedside manner basically disqualifies him from an intellectual conversation about good doctors. This is one thing that confuses me when I read about med schools and they talk about caring for the whole patient and being compassionate etc. I think that's all very important, but if I have a choice between Dr. House and an incompetent yet caring bleeding heart, I'll take House any day of the week! I think anyone would. Yet I would get chastised for saying that House is a better doctor than his opposite...

The original request was for a physician, not an egomaniacal sycophant.

Ron Paul? :laugh: I've always thought he's more like a senile clown (like when he talks about reinstating the gold standard).