Who is the med school adcom on SDN? desperate!~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

I know there is someone here that is/was an adcom and I need to ask her something about grades at a CC. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

LizzyM, easily one of the most helpful and knowledgeable members on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, you're talking about Elizabeth. Well, you could try PMing her - but she's usually around. Perhaps we could help in the mean time?

Dr. Josh said:
I know there is someone here that is/was an adcom and I need to ask her something about grades at a CC. Thanks

I know that people have answered your question, but I wanted to add that there are quite a few threads on this topic & you're likely to find useful info by doing a search.

Thanks all, that's who I was thinking of but didn't remember her name as I'm not here much. I will PM her but here's my dilemna which I sort of started to question yesterday(?), can't really remember since it seems like a nightmare that won't go away.

I'm enrolled in a CC; I know you all think that's worse than death but due to a variety of reasons I didn't really have a choice for 2 science courses this summer. I gernally go to a state U (I know another bad deal).

My physcis teacher is nuts and a horrible prof. Everyone knows it and when i called the chairman today his secy told me that he can't be fired because he has tenure. i didn't even mention the name, didn't need to, since the whole department knows. Most people fail the course but a few manage to do decent, i guess. Right now I have a B but it is soooo much work. I am debating switching sections, but was told it's probably too late and switcvhing would make my schedule worse than it already is and it already sucks. Otherwise i could stick it out and hope for a B, no chance of an A, or i could take a "W". What do i do. My science GPA is about a 3.5 now. My overall GPA is about a 3.4. No MCAT and otherwise a very average applicant.

Receiving a B in physics--even at a CC--isn't the end of the world, especially if you plan to take other advanced science courses at your normal university. Rocking the Physical Sciences section of the MCAT wouldn't hurt either ;) .

However, if you absolutely can't stand the professor, why not switch sections? I've always gone for the hellish time over the hellish teacher, but that's just a personal preference. If you're thinking a C or below is very real possibility though, I'm sure a W would be preferable to a poor grade-provided, of course, that you don't have a string of withdraws already.

Yet as a disclaimer, these are just the musings of another applicant for the 07/08 cycle. I'd take what I and others say into consideration, but don't consider it gospel. Good luck; it sounds like you might need it.

Dr Durden said:
Receiving a B in physics--even at a CC--isn't the end of the world, especially if you plan to take other advanced science courses at your normal university. Rocking the Physical Sciences section of the MCAT wouldn't hurt either ;) .

However, if you absolutely can't stand the professor, why not switch sections? I've always gone for the hellish time over the hellish teacher, but that's just a personal preference. If you're thinking a C or below is very real possibility though, I'm sure a W would be preferable to a poor grade-provided, of course, that you don't have a string of withdraws already.

Yet as a disclaimer, these are just the musings of another applicant for the 07/08 cycle. I'd take what I and others say into consideration, but don't consider it gospel. Good luck; it sounds like you might need it.
Thanks. Well who can predict the future. We're down to 6 in ther class out of the original 15. All sections are supposed to be closed at 20. All other sections have over 25 students; does this tell us something? I can't predict the future. I have a solid B now possibly slightly higher. I tried to switch sections but have gotten no response from the professor. :(