Who is working full time and studying for the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McNursey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working part-time and studying for the DAT and summer school. Any more warriors out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working part-time and studying for the DAT and summer school. Any more warriors out there?

My job's officially part-time but I've been putting in full-time so far. I work for my cousin at his brand new dental clinic as the office manager and some complications came up with the lady that was supposed to be our office manager so I had to take over. Good experience, but it sucks because I've never been an office manager before so I had to learn a lot on the fly. I study here and there but haven't really been able to figure out a real study schedule yet.

Studying well for the DAT whether you're in school or working is very doable. All it takes is a good sense of time management (think of it as practice for d-school ). Let your friends and family know you won't be able to hang out much until xx-xx-xxxx date and use your free time to get in some quality study time. Setting a date to take the test is key because it gives you an end point to work towards AND look forward to! You might plan to take two to three days off of work before your exam to review the science material and take a lot of full length practice tests. Then take your test and celebrate being done with it!!

P.S. I took the DAT in the summer while working two 40hr/wk jobs. Studying and working full time is definitely doable.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was working 40-50 hrs/week as a biochemist in pharma when I was studying for the DAT. As someone else has previously said, it's definitely doable as long as you're disciplined enough - it's all about how badly you want it.

I've been working full-time pretty much all my life lol so, I'm kinda used to getting 5 hours of sleep every night!

working 24 hr/week and taking microbiology course while studying for DAT

me too. 40 hrs/week @ dental research lab =D. My test is on June 30.

I'm working 40 hours a week as a dental assistant and studying for the DAT august 2! wooohooo looks like we have a fun summer planned ahead for all of us :thumbup:

Last edited:
yup working 2 jobs at my university and taking a summer course, will be taking DAT in the august. woo hoo

I actually took a month off of work to study for my DAT last year. Best decision I ever made. My girlfriend was studying for her step 1 medical boards at the same time, so it worked out pretty well. We studied for a month, 8 hours a day - with 2 days off and 4 half days.

My girlfriend's faculty advisor is the author of some well-known USMLE step 1 prep books, and made a 1 month study plan for all of the med students to follow. Basically, you cram everything into one month. Anymore than a month, you start forgetting stuff. The advisor would basically tell the students when to study, when to eat, when to sleep, and what days you have off. So I basically did it with my girlfriend and tweaked it for the DAT. It was pretty intense, but it paid off in my opinion.

I started off scoring in the 14's-15's in my sciences on my practice tests. On the actual DAT, I scored a 23 in Bio, and a 22 in both GChem and OChem.

I'm working 35 hrs/wk as an ortho assistant while studying...taking it the end of june. It's hard to study w/ such nice weather and with friends who have too much free time but I'm trying my best to stick to the books...

part time at my lab, maybe full since grad classes are done. taking DAT in a month, ZING!

Working part time, starting Ochem II in about a week, and studying for the DAT. Looks like a good socialite summer.

P.S. I took the DAT in the summer while working two 40hr/wk jobs. Studying and working full time is definitely doable.

That's pretty impressive working 80 hours a week and managing to study for the DAT. Definitely inspiring! :)

That's pretty impressive working 80 hours a week and managing to study for the DAT. Definitely inspiring! :)

agreed, and I thought working a full time job was tough. I will stop complaining now :p

I worked full time in research while studying for the DAT. I studied when I had time for about 3 weeks.

I think having a job, whether part time or full time, is advantageous because it structures your day thus giving you a more disciplined schedule. You know what you need to get done.

studying well for the dat whether you're in school or working is very doable. All it takes is a good sense of time management (think of it as practice for d-school ). Let your friends and family know you won't be able to hang out much until xx-xx-xxxx date and use your free time to get in some quality study time. Setting a date to take the test is key because it gives you an end point to work towards and look forward to! You might plan to take two to three days off of work before your exam to review the science material and take a lot of full length practice tests. Then take your test and celebrate being done with it!!

P.s. I took the dat in the summer while working two 40hr/wk jobs. Studying and working full time is definitely doable.

wow!!!!!

I spent my summer working 2 jobs for about 50 total hours per week also expecting my son to be born. I spent the last two weeks before my test working my jobs with a newborn to take care of. Anyone with children can probably relate when I say it was the hardest thing I've ever done.