Who messed up thier Fresman year in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiq

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know who believe that thier gpa is destroyed by thier freshman year?

Members don't see this ad.

Calculus in my freshman year really destroyed my science GPA. But I wouldn't worry about your freshman year. I hear that as long as you have a good upward trend in terms of grades by the time you apply you shold be fine.

u need to define messed up :)

i got a D- in bio lab .. but ended up with a 3.3 science gpa and 3.4 overall gpa. Interviews will ask me what happened, and i love to explain what happened- simple error on my part taking a bio lab class b4 take any bio :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did have 2 F's and one C in a 5 credit hour course, so... I would consider I messed up during my Freshman year, however, in all my interviews this has been brought up once. After my explanation, the person didn't seem concerned and I got an offer the day after my interview... so I guess this didn't play an important role in decision making. Good luck!

musiq said:
I wanted to know who believe that thier gpa is destroyed by thier freshman year?

Mine took a dip my sophmore year - a couple of C's in five credit courses (ouch!). Like wimmcs, it was only brought up once during my interviews and they seemed fine with my explaination. If you mess up a bit during your first years it is not the end of the world - just make sure that you don't make a habit of repeating your mistakes. ;)

musiq said:

I believe the question should be, who hasn't messed up their freshman year?

JamesD said:

I DIDN'T! unfortunately i died in 3rd yr... oh microbiology :eek:

fruity_trident said:
I DIDN'T! unfortunately i died in 3rd yr... oh microbiology :eek:

you gotta love microbiology.. i am taking it currently at grad level. if it werent' for those old exams i be screwed..

rocknightmare said:
you gotta love microbiology.. i am taking it currently at grad level. if it werent' for those old exams i be screwed..

i HAVE to take microbio II next semester to GRADUATE. oh man... hopefully i'll get accepted before they see THAT grade...

haha dream on fruity_trident...dream on :rolleyes:

I messed up my freshman year.

And my sophomore year.

Fun stuff.

I had a sub 2.0 average my first year and recovered with a 3.8 average over the last 2 years of undergrad. Many schools look at trends in grades, so if you do well in upper level science classes 3rd and 4th year they like that. Just be able to explain what happened and you'll be fine.
20+ on the DAT helps too :)

Rezdawg said:
I messed up my freshman year.

And my sophomore year.

Fun stuff.

I messed up my freshman, sophomore, and junior years. :laugh:

when i was an engineer, i took a programming class 3 times!!!!! 1st time i got a D, 2nd time an F, and 3rd time a C (with mom helping me on every assignment). I'm either really persistent or really stubborn.

I messed up by not messing up...
I don't reccomend freaking yourself out about dental school..its just not healthy. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
Mine took a dip my sophmore year - a couple of C's in five credit courses (ouch!). Like wimmcs, it was only brought up once during my interviews and they seemed fine with my explaination. If you mess up a bit during your first years it is not the end of the world - just make sure that you don't make a habit of repeating your mistakes. ;)

yeah, i messed up in my sophmore year too. Got C's in orgo and physiology.

Here's my advice on how to deal with it. 1) Don't ever bring up poor marks yourself. I felt compelled to explain myself on a couple of interviews because I was sure the interviewer was thinking it. But that's not true - they might not be thinking it at all. Keep Quiet. 2) If the interviewer does bring it, don't list off a bunch of excuses. The way I handled it was: "well, you know, I really can't make any excuses for that grade." But then I would quickly slip in an excuse, and say that I learned my lesson. Then, tried to change the topic.

But, I only had one interviewer that brought it up.

JamesD said:
Im so glad that I was accepted early, although I did not mess up freshman year, Im gonna mess up this semester. Another reason why I decieded to graduate in three years, easier to keep a good GPA for two years versus three years.

I got a c- in mat 1050 (intermediate algebra) when I was a junior in highschool when going to lunch was a lot more fun then going to class. That grades been haunting me ever since. I got a C in music 1010 to but I can't say much about even though it's everyones' easy A class I sucked at it. I thing I'll just stick to the math and science courses that I'm good at None of this abstract crap for me

Yup, been there, done that...2.3 if I remember correctly. I think the worst thing is I got a D in a class called intro. to computers. The adcoms are going to think I can't use a mouse, but it was actually FORTRAN programming for engineers.

I got straight A's during my freshman year. Oh, those were the days. Then physics and immunology came along. I got C's in both. :(

I failed out of college, my first time. I now have 5 acceptances to selective dental schools. Do not let anyone tell you that one or two bad grades in undergrad is going to ruin your chances for success.

edkNARF said:
I failed out of college, my first time. I now have 5 acceptances to selective dental schools. Do not let anyone tell you that one or two bad grades in undergrad is going to ruin your chances for success.

:)

yep, i am in my sophmore year currently and i'm messing up left and right as we speak.

i honestly don't know what to do sometimes. this past month i pulled multiple all-nighters for exams i studied like CRAZY for with friends and failed both (biochem and ochem). this was extremely discouraging and i just hope that i can do better next semester.

otherwise, i will have to re-consider dentistry... sigh...

overall GPA currently around 3.0... after this semester probably 2.8
science GPA probably 2.5

i'm at a top 20 ranked university, known to be extremely rigorous

2.65 first semester freshman year. I partied my arse off, if anyone needs tips on how to seriously take down a gpa, shoot me a pm.

same story as zurik, went away to a school that's known notoriously for partying (UW-madison) and ended up rocking a 2.2ish i think gpa my first semester then slightly recovering to 3.0 the second. Knew if i wanted any shot at professional school I had to get out of the "dont study, come have a Rose Bowl at State Street Brats" atmosphere. so i took a year off and transferred to my new school. Currently on pace to finish up next spring with around 3.3-3.5 cumlative gpa and same BCP gpa. then i will determine if really want to give the dental thing a shot. it's nice to hear others with the same story.

UMDeeMan said:
same story as zurik, went away to a school that's known notoriously for partying (UW-madison) and ended up rocking a 2.2ish i think gpa my first semester then slightly recovering to 3.0 the second. Knew if i wanted any shot at professional school I had to get out of the "dont study, come have a Rose Bowl at State Street Brats" atmosphere. so i took a year off and transferred to my new school. Currently on pace to finish up next spring with around 3.3-3.5 cumlative gpa and same BCP gpa. then i will determine if really want to give the dental thing a shot. it's nice to hear others with the same story.

UW-Madison?? That's where i'm at now!.......

JamesD said:
UW-Madison?? That's where i'm at now!.......

great school man, i miss it everyday. i wish i had enough self-discipline to still be there. i just was way too immature and put more into developing social relationships and connections throughout the school the going to lecture to listen basam shakasuri talk about bucky balls. haha, i also somehow got into the "women's in science" discussion section for chem I with a man-hating lesbian (no joke, she was open about this, and was mad at the school for allowing me and 1 other male to be in the class). in the end though it was good, it made me "grow-up" and realize that if i want to do what i really want to do then i had to set my priorities right. so far so good. too bad about the football team too, i had my plans all set for Pasadena.

UMDeeMan said:
put more into developing social relationships and connections throughout the school the going to lecture to listen basam shakasuri talk about bucky balls.

Social relationships, that's a good one :rolleyes:
Madison is a good town, but never ranked #1 in party schools.

Relationships often get in the way of school. Or at least that was my experience during my 3rd year. My bf was very high maintenance , and as a result, I neglected my courses and ended up with 2 D's and a cluster of C's and B's. Since then I have learned the proper way to balance school and a relationship. It was a learning experience, but sadly, I am suffering for it now.

favabean said:
Relationships often get in the way of school. Or at least that was my experience during my 3rd year. My bf was very high maintenance , and as a result, I neglected my courses and ended up with 2 D's and a cluster of C's and B's. Since then I have learned the proper way to balance school and a relationship. It was a learning experience, but sadly, I am suffering for it now.

OMG! :eek: this is ME NOW...not a good idea huh?...but the distance helps, since he's 2 hrs away (waterloo) :oops:

i pretty much stopped dating during undergrad. i don't know too many chicks that are willing to follow a kid to whatever area i head to continue my education, nor will i let a relationship play a factor. i just keep it casual.

UMDeeMan said:
great school man, i miss it everyday. i wish i had enough self-discipline to still be there. i just was way too immature and put more into developing social relationships and connections throughout the school the going to lecture to listen basam shakasuri talk about bucky balls. haha, i also somehow got into the "women's in science" discussion section for chem I with a man-hating lesbian (no joke, she was open about this, and was mad at the school for allowing me and 1 other male to be in the class). in the end though it was good, it made me "grow-up" and realize that if i want to do what i really want to do then i had to set my priorities right. so far so good. too bad about the football team too, i had my plans all set for Pasadena.

I hate shakasuri, i felt he was an arrogant dingus, who always seemed to have someone else teach his lectures. I had Whitlock for genchem, a great teacher..I had the opposite problem as you, i never bothered to get to know many people and now i wish i would have, as i live off campus and its just not as fun as the dorms....

Did you drop out or did they kick you out? A friend of mine is going through the same kinda thing i guess.

James,

My roommate (best friend) freshmen year got kicked out for grades and behavior (great story to that). I left under my own will, i had around 2.4-2.5 gpa at the end of freshmen year, but i knew that wasnt going to cut it. so i stayed in madtown for another year and went fall semester and took the spring semester off and just worked and figured things out. I can't remember who i had for gen chem II, all i know is that he let us us a notecard and it was a joke. went to lecture probably 10 times all semester, rocked an A. Shakasuri is an arrogant prick also, but he's a university "gem" of the chem department. oh well. what program you doing JamesD?

in regard to the social, i was everywhere. had the fake ID, was in a fraternity (we also did worthy charity work), and met a girl i continued to date for 2 years while in madison. so yeah, i was a stupid youngin. Ogg Hall was so much fun though.

UMDeeMan said:
James,

My roommate (best friend) freshmen year got kicked out for grades and behavior (great story to that). I left under my own will, i had around 2.4-2.5 gpa at the end of freshmen year, but i knew that wasnt going to cut it. so i stayed in madtown for another year and went fall semester and took the spring semester off and just worked and figured things out. I can't remember who i had for gen chem II, all i know is that he let us us a notecard and it was a joke. went to lecture probably 10 times all semester, rocked an A. Shakasuri is an arrogant prick also, but he's a university "gem" of the chem department. oh well. what program you doing JamesD?

in regard to the social, i was everywhere. had the fake ID, was in a fraternity (we also did worthy charity work), and met a girl i continued to date for 2 years while in madison. so yeah, i was a stupid youngin. Ogg Hall was so much fun though.

I'm doing neurobiology. Ogg hall represent! I was in East Ogg, 10th floor, was a ton of fun, but i dont see those people much more...didnt get numbers. :(

My friend is got a 1.9 gpa and on probation, so he has to get above a 2.0 this semester or he's gone.

JamesD said:
I'm doing neurobiology. Ogg hall represent! I was in East Ogg, 10th floor, was a ton of fun, but i dont see those people much more...didnt get numbers. :(

My friend is got a 1.9 gpa and on probation, so he has to get above a 2.0 this semester or he's gone.

neurobiology sounded very interesting. i would look into that major if i wasn't doing waht i'm currnetly doing. yeah Ogg rocked.

so many memories, like the one about suicide kid who was found dead outside my window during finals week in december. i was on the 2nd floor of the west tower,go to open my curtains in the morning and opps, there's a dead body there. what a merry thought before i headed off to take my chem final. besides the end of semester suicide, the rest of the memories are quite good.

GO BADGER HOCKEY!! they better win the Final 5. Going to be stylin for that tourney, luxury box for all the games.

UMDeeMan said:
neurobiology sounded very interesting. i would look into that major if i wasn't doing waht i'm currnetly doing. yeah Ogg rocked.

so many memories, like the one about suicide kid who was found dead outside my window during finals week in december. i was on the 2nd floor of the west tower,go to open my curtains in the morning and opps, there's a dead body there. what a merry thought before i headed off to take my chem final. besides the end of semester suicide, the rest of the memories are quite good.

GO BADGER HOCKEY!! they better win the Final 5. Going to be stylin for that tourney, luxury box for all the games.

What year was that suicide, i thought i heard something about it? That cracks me..He just jumped?

Isnt duluth hockey up near the top? Should be good

JamesD said:
What year was that suicide, i thought i heard something about it? That cracks me..He just jumped?

Isnt duluth hockey up near the top? Should be good

it was December 2000 i believe. UMD hockey blows. They were 18th in the nation though before tonight. They came into the season extremely overhyped. The fact of the matter is they lost Lessard to eligibility and he turned out to be everything for the team. they got smoked by UND tonight 5-1. Crappy deal though is that UW lost also, 4-3 i believe in OT to Minnesota State-Mankato. MSU blows.