Who played a sport in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlicious

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, where's all the student-athletes? What sport/position did you play?

Myself: Football, corner, 3 seasons (and tried to be a kicker, but that didn't work out)

Also, do you think dental schools like student athletes or not? In my experience they seem to like to talk about it.

Members don't see this ad.

4 Yeat oarsman at the University of Minnesota, two national titles, two degrees, and a spanish minor. Any other D1 people out there trying to eliminate the myth of the dumb jock?

Members don't see this ad :)
Varsity Water Polo, only played my first year, then I blew out my knee, and cant play anymore :(

cheerleader
yes, it is a sport

not an official team..but president of uva's taekwondo club :D

Rugby. I served as team captain at one school, and played inside/outside center, flanker, and "8" man. I now do sprint triathalons in hopes of working up to the real deal some day.

NCAA Rifle, 3 years, team captain for two.

I played basketball, 4 years.*

* Intramurals, C-league. I would get laughed at if I tried out for our basketball team.

Intramural flag football champs ASU three years and national runners up last year. I hope to get a championship next year at UNLV so I hope there are plenty of flag football hopefuls there now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Varsity volleyball my freshman year and decided to stop after that because our program was a joke and I'd rather focus on doing well in my classes so I can progress to Dental School. College sports are insanely time consuming!

Varsity Water Polo, only played my first year, then I blew out my knee, and cant play anymore :(

How do you blow out your knee playing water polo?:confused: :confused: :confused:

pchemgrad, where did you play?

Played NCAA Division 1 basketball (point guard/shooting guard) for 2 years and ran track (long jumper) for 1 year. Retired after my 2nd year so I could finish my degree in 4 years and start dental school in '07!!!

Hey, where's all the student-athletes? What sport/position did you play?

Myself: Football, corner, 3 seasons (and tried to be a kicker, but that didn't work out)

Also, do you think dental schools like student athletes or not? In my experience they seem to like to talk about it.

I think professional schools like to see student-athletes who have done well in their classes. At all 4 of my interviews, being a college athlete was brought up in some form or fashion... time management, organization, teamwork, etc.

Jim,
I reside in the 85213. are you from around there? what school?

Intramural and Club sports- Ping Pong, Racquetball, Kickboxing, Floor Hockey, and Dodgeball! Will these help me with admissions? :thumbup:

Mt. View HS...? Marcos de Niza!

How do you blow out your knee playing water polo?:confused: :confused: :confused:

I blew out my knee after my first year playing water polo, that winter when I was snowboarding. Went up to hit a rail, but caught my board and twisted my knee and pop went my ACL.

UCSB H2O Polo!

I did do IM Flag Football, Soccer, and Ice Hockey after the blew out my knee.

D1 track and cross country athlete. Wish I still had eligibity, sports scholarships are sweet!

Intramural and Club sports- Ping Pong, Racquetball, Kickboxing, Floor Hockey, and Dodgeball! Will these help me with admissions? :thumbup:

definitely! especially if your list includes flip cup and beer pong!

2nd stream fullback for the Univeristy of Arkansas 04-05.

I was a dog musher. Seriously.

But I don't consider it a sport, because the dogs do most of the work.

Mountain View HS '03 and ASU now also. Thats funny! Where are you going for dental? I'm going to UNLV.

Mountain View HS '03 and ASU now also. Thats funny! Where are you going for dental? I'm going to UNLV.

Looks like quite a few of us are from the Bay Area and all going to Dental School. I am from Santa Rosa. As of right now it looks like I am going to Temple. Still waiting to hear from Colorado.

NCAA Division 1 swimmer for 4 years and captian.... student/athletes all the way!

NCAA Division 1 swimmer for 4 years and captian.... student/athletes all the way!

I almost swam for Purdue, but realized the commitment would interfere with my naps and weekend phenomena. After state in high school, I somehow knew it would be my last race.

Soccer...left wing and Rugby....fly half, center, or fullback

Cross Country/ Track, 4 years

basketball, baseball, and football
4 years

i knew that xbox was a good investment

D1 fencing 3 years

D1-A Football for 5 seasons, including one redshirt year, starter for 37 games at offensive tackle:D Could have graduated early but decided to stick it out for the rest of my eligiblity. At 6'7" and 270 lbs (down from my playing weight of 325 lbs) I'm one of the biggest dentists you'll ever see! ;)

Wow...it certainly feels like I'm a high schooler applying to undergrad college... didn't realize that even in college, playing sports again would help out with admissions to grad school...:p