jlicious

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
Washington..... state!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey, where's all the student-athletes? What sport/position did you play?

Myself: Football, corner, 3 seasons (and tried to be a kicker, but that didn't work out)

Also, do you think dental schools like student athletes or not? In my experience they seem to like to talk about it.

D

Drpr1982

4 Yeat oarsman at the University of Minnesota, two national titles, two degrees, and a spanish minor. Any other D1 people out there trying to eliminate the myth of the dumb jock?

About the Ads

PChemGrad

I am a banana.
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Varsity Water Polo, only played my first year, then I blew out my knee, and cant play anymore :(

3xCharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Rugby. I served as team captain at one school, and played inside/outside center, flanker, and "8" man. I now do sprint triathalons in hopes of working up to the real deal some day.

aggie-master

Scrub
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I played basketball, 4 years.*

* Intramurals, C-league. I would get laughed at if I tried out for our basketball team.

pescado

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Intramural flag football champs ASU three years and national runners up last year. I hope to get a championship next year at UNLV so I hope there are plenty of flag football hopefuls there now!

About the Ads

blueyes34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Varsity volleyball my freshman year and decided to stop after that because our program was a joke and I'd rather focus on doing well in my classes so I can progress to Dental School. College sports are insanely time consuming!

T

toothfairy85

Played NCAA Division 1 basketball (point guard/shooting guard) for 2 years and ran track (long jumper) for 1 year. Retired after my 2nd year so I could finish my degree in 4 years and start dental school in '07!!!

T

toothfairy85

Hey, where's all the student-athletes? What sport/position did you play?

Myself: Football, corner, 3 seasons (and tried to be a kicker, but that didn't work out)

Also, do you think dental schools like student athletes or not? In my experience they seem to like to talk about it.

I think professional schools like to see student-athletes who have done well in their classes. At all 4 of my interviews, being a college athlete was brought up in some form or fashion... time management, organization, teamwork, etc.

pescado

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Jim,
I reside in the 85213. are you from around there? what school?

StephL26

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Intramural and Club sports- Ping Pong, Racquetball, Kickboxing, Floor Hockey, and Dodgeball! Will these help me with admissions? :thumbup:

About the Ads

PChemGrad

I am a banana.
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How do you blow out your knee playing water polo?:confused: :confused: :confused:

I blew out my knee after my first year playing water polo, that winter when I was snowboarding. Went up to hit a rail, but caught my board and twisted my knee and pop went my ACL.

UCSB H2O Polo!

I did do IM Flag Football, Soccer, and Ice Hockey after the blew out my knee.

jewelsnz

Kiwi girl
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
D1 track and cross country athlete. Wish I still had eligibity, sports scholarships are sweet!

musiq

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
Memphis
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
2nd stream fullback for the Univeristy of Arkansas 04-05.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I was a dog musher. Seriously.

But I don't consider it a sport, because the dogs do most of the work.

About the Ads

pescado

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Mountain View HS '03 and ASU now also. Thats funny! Where are you going for dental? I'm going to UNLV.

PChemGrad

I am a banana.
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Mountain View HS '03 and ASU now also. Thats funny! Where are you going for dental? I'm going to UNLV.

Looks like quite a few of us are from the Bay Area and all going to Dental School. I am from Santa Rosa. As of right now it looks like I am going to Temple. Still waiting to hear from Colorado.

bellzk

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
NCAA Division 1 swimmer for 4 years and captian.... student/athletes all the way!

purduephigam

SuPurdueper Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2006
Suburbia
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
NCAA Division 1 swimmer for 4 years and captian.... student/athletes all the way!

I almost swam for Purdue, but realized the commitment would interfere with my naps and weekend phenomena. After state in high school, I somehow knew it would be my last race.

Leine4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Soccer...left wing and Rugby....fly half, center, or fullback

dizzle23x

10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
basketball, baseball, and football
4 years

i knew that xbox was a good investment

bassman65

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
D1-A Football for 5 seasons, including one redshirt year, starter for 37 games at offensive tackle:D Could have graduated early but decided to stick it out for the rest of my eligiblity. At 6'7" and 270 lbs (down from my playing weight of 325 lbs) I'm one of the biggest dentists you'll ever see! ;)

StephL26

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Wow...it certainly feels like I'm a high schooler applying to undergrad college... didn't realize that even in college, playing sports again would help out with admissions to grad school...:p

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.