who plays favorites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolen2000

coolen2000
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering which schools give preferential consideration to certain individuals based on school affiliation with their school, with family that are faculty, religion, etc....

in other words which schools are NOT known to be strictly by the book in recruitment.

if you got accepted already because of this, spill the beans already :) ,,,,its not like your gonna get caught. nobody knows who you are here....

Members don't see this ad.

coolen2000 said:
i was just wondering which schools give preferential consideration to certain individuals based on school affiliation with their school, with family that are faculty, religion, etc....

in other words which schools are NOT known to be strictly by the book in recruitment.

if you got accepted already because of this, spill the beans already :) ,,,,its not like your gonna get caught. nobody knows who you are here....

loma lina is a 7th day adventist school
UOP gives big time preference to it's alumni those are the two coming right now to my mind.

There is no "proof" but I have heard that UF prefers is own to others. Just hear-say, so take it with a grain of salt.
-C

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
EVERY school gives preference to students who have family members on faculty, or family members that are alumni, etc.
agreed.

Also,
I hear OHSU accepts a ton of LDS... some say favortism in that regard.

UoP likes their own. UW likes their own.

stony brook tends to select good looking applicants that would be acceptable by the general long island population. this is just a rumor. not confirmed!!!

ItsGavinC said:
EVERY school gives preference to students who have family members on faculty, or family members that are alumni, etc.

agreed and i dont think it is wrong to do so

ItsGavinC said:

I totally agree and know few students who have gotten in this way. Specially if they have relatives in the ADCOM. I don't like it but that's how it works.

fightingspirit said:
agreed and i dont think it is wrong to do so

I am just curious about your resons why you think is not wrong to do so.

mcshow2 said:
agreed.

Also,
I hear OHSU accepts a ton of LDS... some say favortism in that regard.

UoP likes their own. UW likes their own.

What's an LDS?

LDS = Latter Day Saint = People of the Mormon faith

My brother attends OHSU and there are a lot of Mormons there, but also there are a lot of them probably anywhere on the west coast (im not sure about the east). There is one ADCOM there that has bragged to my brother about rejecting a Mormon kid that had a 4.0 gpa, just because he doesnt like them. That is wrong but I would say its a stretch that OHSU has this preference, I think just a lot of them are applying to dental schools for whatever reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
there a lots of lds in dentistry

i know USC looks favorably at applicants who have alumni relatives. not sure how favorably though.

i also think the private schools tend to add more weight to having alumni relatives compare to public schools.

howui3 said:
i know USC looks favorably at applicants who have alumni relatives. not sure how favorably though.

i also think the private schools tend to add more weight to having alumni relatives compare to public schools.

especially if they donate $$$

I know some schools show preference to applicants with high GPA's and high DAT scores. :laugh:

Marquette Seems To Favor Applicants Who Have Dental Parents!!!!

Check Out The Other Threads!!!

With Such A Low Acceptance Rate And A 17 Dat Average, 3.2 Gpa How Do You Explain This!!!

GoDucks69 said:
There is one ADCOM there that has bragged to my brother about rejecting a Mormon kid that had a 4.0 gpa, just because he doesnt like them.

Can an ADCOM at OHSU (public school?) legally reject a candidate because he doesn't care for the LDS faith? Or members of the faith with whom he had previously come into contact? It would be one thing if the candidate demonstrated himself/herself to be a dufus in spite of his/her stats during the interview, but IF it is true that the Mormon candidate was actually rejected solely because the ADCOM doesn't like THEM, then shame on him. I am going to take it as hearsay and not get too worked up, but IF everything happened the way you say, then my sense of justice has just totally been violated by a member of the ADCOM at OHSU. BTW, I SPECULATE the highest concentrations of LDS dental students go to (from BYU):

UOP, Creighton, Case, OSU, AZ, and UNLV

Thats not to say that these schools give preferential treatment to LDS students, although they may. I know that WICHE makes some schools more financially attractive to Utah students which traditionally are more likely to be LDS than other states.

SuperC said:
There is no "proof" but I have heard that UF prefers is own to others. Just hear-say, so take it with a grain of salt.
-C

The proof is in the numbers, lol. Look at the number from UF and other florida schools.

Sincerely,
soon to be FSU grad hoping to gain admission to UFCOD 2011 :)

coolen2000 said:

I KNOW THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST GUARANTEED AN INTERVIEW AT CASE WESTERN IF YOUR HAVE A PARENT OR SIBLING THAT GRADUATED FROM THE DENTAL SCHOOL

Gulch said:
Can an ADCOM at OHSU (public school?) legally reject a candidate because he doesn't care for the LDS faith? Or members of the faith with whom he had previously come into contact?...

No, it is not legal for a state school to discriminate on the grounds of sex, religion, race, etc. In regards to Mormons, I think that a lot people are missing the big picture when it comes to why dental schools prefers these applicants. For starters, BYU is a pre-dental factory and their academics are very, very solid and applicants that come from that school have a strong academic background and traditionally perform very well on the DAT. Most Mormon applicants are a bit older than the average applicant due to the fact that most of the men complete a mission prior to college. A few years under your belt usually adds maturity to a person and adcoms are very much aware of this (e.g. a young, green applicant, still in college that hasn't seen the world and whose idea of a good time is getting slammed every Friday night versus an LDS applicant who has seen a lot, is usually married, and has demonstrated a high level of commitment and responsibility). LDS applicants/students have traditionally been very clean-cut, honest, and hardworking. When an adcom's experience with a particular type of applicant is a positive one time and time again of course they are going to give serious consideration to others like them. The perceived preference for LDS applicants has nothing to do with outwright religious favortism and everything to do with the personal culture and work ethic they bring to school. I'm sure the many people that buy Lexus vehicles don't do so because they are Japanese but rather because the company has poured tremendous resources into them to make their cars the industry benchmark for quality and value.

Sprgrover said:
LDS applicants/students have traditionally been very clean-cut, honest, and hardworking.

I have to disagree with you here, you can't just the same stick for ALL or MAJORITY of LDS people. I am not going to go into detail.

Sprgrover said:
For starters, BYU is a pre-dental factory...

Did you know that there were 200 pre-dents from BYU that got into dental school last year? :eek:

786mine said:
I have to disagree with you here, you can't just the same stick for ALL or MAJORITY of LDS people. I am not going to go into detail.

LOL. I totally agree with you. Where in the world did Sprgrover come up with a crazy generalization that the majority of Mormons are clean cut, honest and hard working? Everybody knows that most Mormons are long haired, beer drinking gypsies that are lazy, cannot be trusted and bring very little life experience to dental school.

Seriously, in order to remedy this ill-behaved religion BYU really ought to enforce a strict dress code on its 30,000 students that requires shaving and hair above the shirt collar for men. Sort of like the Air Force academy. Then at least 30,000 Mormons would be clean cut. :idea:

Maybe, in order to address LDS laziness the state of Utah should adopt a seal of something that represents hard work and industry like a beehive or something. Or maybe the LDS church should practically beattify its early pioneers for their extreme demonstration of hard work and sacrifice. :idea:

As for the honesty, are you honest in all your dealings? Because Mormons are regularly asked this soul scraping question by their ecclesiastical leader. Naturally, they are expected to answer it honestly. :idea:

I hope I haven't done more harm than good by demonstrating my own immaturity, but the LDS people have a strong reputation for being clean cut, hardworking, and honest. Disagree with the doctrine, disagree with the culture or the homogeneity of its demographic, but you will have a hard time refuting the general reputation mentioned by Sprgrover. I don't know what your particular situation is, but I expect your negative personal experiences with the LDS church have distorted your view of the Church at large. :eek:

Gulch said:
LOL. I totally agree with you. Where in the world did Sprgrover come up with a crazy generalization that the majority of Mormons are clean cut, honest and hard working? Everybody knows that most Mormons are long haired, beer drinking gypsies that are lazy, cannot be trusted and bring very little life experience to dental school.

Seriously, in order to remedy this ill-behaved religion BYU really ought to enforce a strict dress code on its 30,000 students that requires shaving and hair above the shirt collar for men. Sort of like the Air Force academy. Then at least 30,000 Mormons would be clean cut. :idea:

Maybe, in order to address LDS laziness the state of Utah should adopt a seal of something that represents hard work and industry like a beehive or something. Or maybe the LDS church should practically beattify its early pioneers for their extreme demonstration of hard work and sacrifice. :idea:

As for the honesty, are you honest in all your dealings? Because Mormons are regularly asked this soul scraping question by their ecclesiastical leader. Naturally, they are expected to answer it honestly. :idea:

I hope I haven't done more harm than good by demonstrating my own immaturity, but the LDS people have a strong reputation for being clean cut, hardworking, and honest. Disagree with the doctrine, disagree with the culture or the homogeneity of its demographic, but you will have a hard time refuting the general reputation mentioned by Sprgrover. I don't know what your particular situation is, but I expect your negative personal experiences with the LDS church have distorted your view of the Church at large. :eek:
boo-ya-ka-sha