Who requires Step II score to rank or apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time teasing out information on school websites. They have different requirements for IMGs versus US grads.

I'm basically very happy with my Step 1.

How far can I push Step 2? I was thinking Feb 1, but is that bad? I've heard that many people in other competitive fields (like Radiology, Ortho) have waited until late Jan/early Feb to take Step 2.

I emailed a school and am waiting to hear back, but I want to know if anybody
knows for sure of schools that require BOTH scores to apply.

thanks!
mel

Members don't see this ad.

If you think Jan is late....I am taking both Step 2s this month. Some people in my class are taking it in April. Don't really think it matters to take it late. Except that the motivation is gone.

I can think of only one school that even broached the topic of step 2 requirements. MUSC sent out an email in August saying something about how it is required for ranking or maybe that we had to at least take it before match day...don't really remember - but it wasn't something that ever mentioned again. Somehow I think if you're a desirable candidate, "requirements" like this aren't set in stone. We'll see...

Just make sure you follow your school's deadlines.

By the way, I am not surprised you have not heard back from schools. Now is probably not the opportune time to be bothering schools with questions like this. At least wait until Match dust settles...

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I am not surprised you have not heard back from schools. Now is probably not the opportune time to be bothering schools with questions like this. At least wait until Match dust settles...

Hey there,

thank you SO much for allaying my fears. i will not pester the schools at this point. talk about being self-centered! :laugh:

good luck to you and thanks again!
mel

In my opinion it is best to take step 2 RIGHT after 3rd year

1)The info is all fresh in your head so much less studying
2) It doesnt look to programs like you're putting it off --- which to me seems like it would say you don't think you'll do well or don't want them to see your score

I took it in July after third year and did VERY well. I only got a 208 on Step 1, and increase that score by almost 50 points.

~N