who takes people off WL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1956Goldtop

Hey all. I'm trying to figure out who to address my LOI to. Is it the entire committee that takes people off the WL? the Director of Admissions? Dean of admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Members of the Admissions Committee. Except the Dean sends you a letter that says you can send any updates to him.

This is somewhat unrelated, can you get screwed with financial aid if you send an LOI? There is a particular school that I would attend over all others, but I'm worried of making that commitment if I don't get financial aid. I know I will likely get the max need-based money from the schools I've been accepted to, but want to be sure this can't be tweaked in light of my contractual obligation to attend said school if accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is somewhat unrelated, can you get screwed with financial aid if you send an LOI? There is a particular school that I would attend over all others, but I'm worried of making that commitment if I don't get financial aid. I know I will likely get the max need-based money from the schools I've been accepted to, but want to be sure this can't be tweaked in light of my contractual obligation to attend said school if accepted.

If you think you might be swayed by financial aid at other schools, then I wouldn't write a letter of intent. I don't think that your waitlist school wouldn't give you the same need-based money (I don't think they'd be like, well this guy is gonna come here no matter what so let's not give him any money), but on the other hand, if you are accepted from the waitlist, it is possible they have already assigned their money to other candidates already and may have less to give to you. I'm not really sure. There's no guarantee. But my point is that if you're writing an LOI, you should be thinking "I will attend this school, no ifs ands or buts." If you're not even open to the possibility of paying more $ for school X, then what's the point of getting off the waitlist if you'd rather attend another school for less $?

I understand your point, but I probably didn't make myself clear enough.

I don't mean will I get less money at this school compared to other schools. I am just wondering if I will get any institutional scholarships AT ALL (need based) since I would be accepted much later than their normal acceptances. I am fully willing to pay a quite a bit more money for this school. I would pick it with nothing but loans (which I am hoping is not the case) over any full ride I would get (which is not likely anyways). But anyways, I guess I will probably just call their financial aid department and see.

I understand your point, but I probably didn't make myself clear enough.

I don't mean will I get less money at this school compared to other schools. I am just wondering if I will get any institutional scholarships AT ALL (need based) since I would be accepted much later than their normal acceptances. I am fully willing to pay a quite a bit more money for this school. I would pick it with nothing but loans (which I am hoping is not the case) over any full ride I would get (which is not likely anyways). But anyways, I guess I will probably just call their financial aid department and see.

I've heard of a few people getting scholarships off the waitlist, but I don't think it's very common. It's likely that the only way you would get need-based ones are if people who got them withdraw from the school (which is possible, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it). I think it's a good idea to call the school and see what they say.

Hi everyone. So yes, what I believe happens is that once you are waitlisted, you will not be reviewed until after the May 15th deadline for accepted applicants to choose one school that they have been accepted to. After that time, the adcom meets and reviews your file and everyone else on the list. Some schools rank you and some schools don't rank you. Moreover, some of the schools that rank you may even have different types of wait lists which may be a high priority and a regular wait list. So, once they review you, they will rank you if the school ranks you. If not, they will decide which applicant has expressed the most interest n is also the most qualified to go to said school. Hope this helps.