Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
I'm just curious about how you schedule your day when you're on Podiatric Surgery. I know many residencies have various hospitals and attendings to cover, so who tells you where to go?

When I was senior resident, I called my director up daily and went over the schedule, and basically split the day up, and then I was responsible to call the junior and go over our day. It was a drawn out affair, but our director was a bit of a control freak lol.

How does this work now? Do the attendings have an idea if someone's going to show to "help" or not? Mostly just curious on how this is done now, particularly in the really big programs.

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Southwest
Status
Attending Physician
I'm just curious about how you schedule your day when you're on Podiatric Surgery. I know many residencies have various hospitals and attendings to cover, so who tells you where to go?

When I was senior resident, I called my director up daily and went over the schedule, and basically split the day up, and then I was responsible to call the junior and go over our day. It was a drawn out affair, but our director was a bit of a control freak lol.

How does this work now? Do the attendings have an idea if someone's going to show to "help" or not? Mostly just curious on how this is done now, particularly in the really big programs.
At my program, one of the senior residents was in charge on a weekly basis. One of the 2nd years would get the schedule and had it up on the website by 4PM. The senior would have everyone assigned by 6PM.

OP
Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
At my program, one of the senior residents was in charge on a weekly basis. One of the 2nd years would get the schedule and had it up on the website by 4PM. The senior would have everyone assigned by 6PM.
I see. What if there is a dispute about coverage or an attending complains that they are not getting coverage? Who handles that?

densmore22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At my program, the R2's act like R3's at most programs because our R3's are out doing various elective/international/etc rotations. We just look at the schedule the day before and the R2 takes what he/she wants then the R1 gets whatever's leftover. Some cases (like TAR for example) it's nice to have 2 residents on because they can get complicated, but even those aren't a requirement for 2. Our main hospital has to be covered so whatever's going on there, one of us has to cover, then whoever's free can go to the surgical center's/other hospitals to cover whatever they can. Our director isn't very involved, only to the extent that if certain attending's cases aren't covered, then we get yelled at and then cover them better in the future. But basically, it's on us, we're very autonomous.

PADPM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2009
East Coast-maybe????
Status
Attending Physician
Kidsfeet,

Is there a "hidden message" in your post? Are residents not showing up for some of your cases? If for some reason that is the case, I personally would give the chief resident a call and speak with him/her prior to speaking with the director, but that would depend on my relationship with both.

OP
Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
Kidsfeet,

Is there a "hidden message" in your post? Are residents not showing up for some of your cases? If for some reason that is the case, I personally would give the chief resident a call and speak with him/her prior to speaking with the director, but that would depend on my relationship with both.
LOL not at all. This came up in a convo I had with some of my younger local colleagues in general last week. We were talking about how cases were split up in their residencies.

I'm hoping to also one day become a residency director, and was just curious what was going on in that regard. Why so cynical?

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Southwest
Status
Attending Physician
I see. What if there is a dispute about coverage or an attending complains that they are not getting coverage? Who handles that?
The senior resident handles it. If an attending isn't going to be covered (especially on days when there were 25-30 cases going on), the senior calls them and lets them know. I can honestly say there weren't really ever disputes over cases. The 1st and 2nds went where they were told to go and the 3rds just kind of payed attention and splint cases as evenly as possible.

OP
Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
The senior resident handles it. If an attending isn't going to be covered (especially on days when there were 25-30 cases going on), the senior calls them and lets them know. I can honestly say there weren't really ever disputes over cases. The 1st and 2nds went where they were told to go and the 3rds just kind of payed attention and splint cases as evenly as possible.
Nice. Thanks for the input!

PADPM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2009
East Coast-maybe????
Status
Attending Physician
LOL not at all. This came up in a convo I had with some of my younger local colleagues in general last week. We were talking about how cases were split up in their residencies.

I'm hoping to also one day become a residency director, and was just curious what was going on in that regard. Why so cynical?

Cynical?? I didn't think there was anything "cynical" in my post, I simply asked a question.

OP
Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
Cynical?? I didn't think there was anything "cynical" in my post, I simply asked a question.
I just found it odd that you assumed a lot by my question and asked if there was a "hidden message" in my post. I was also simply asking a question and you're reply surprised me as it didn't really address my question. I didn't say or ask anything about my personal coverage by the residents, or my relationship with the director of the program or with the senior resident. Its interesting to me how my question was perceived though. I certainly meant no offense by my "cynical" remark. I apologize if it somehow sent an offensive message to you, as this was not the intention at all.

Last edited:

PADPM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2009
East Coast-maybe????
Status
Attending Physician
I just found it odd that you assumed a lot by my question and asked if there was a "hidden message" in my post. I was also simply asking a question and you're reply surprised me as it didn't really address my question. I didn't say or ask anything about my personal coverage by the residents, or my relationship with the director of the program or with the senior resident. Its interesting to me how my question was perceived though. I certainly meant no offense by my "cynical" remark. I apologize if it somehow sent an offensive message to you, as this was not the intention at all.
One thing I learned a very long time ago, is to never make "assumptions". However, I'm not afraid to ask questions, especially when I qualify those questions when I wrote "if that is the case".

When I read a post, just like when I listen to a conversation, treat a patient, etc., I analyze the situation and attempt to create different possible scenarios. I made no accusations, and once again simply asked a question. Therefore, in the future I would strongly recommend that you turn off your sensitivity button and simply try to understand what the responder may be thinking.

Most of us have good intentions, we're not all cynical, at least not all the time.

OP
Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
One thing I learned a very long time ago, is to never make "assumptions". However, I'm not afraid to ask questions, especially when I qualify those questions when I wrote "if that is the case".

When I read a post, just like when I listen to a conversation, treat a patient, etc., I analyze the situation and attempt to create different possible scenarios. I made no accusations, and once again simply asked a question. Therefore, in the future I would strongly recommend that you turn off your sensitivity button and simply try to understand what the responder may be thinking.

Most of us have good intentions, we're not all cynical, at least not all the time.
My comment about cynicism was meant to be light hearted and wasn't an attack. I took no offense to your comment at all, but found it odd that you approached it the way you did. That's all. I appreciate your unsolicited advice on how I should take these questions and posts. I'll keep that in mind.

You still haven't answered my question about how you handled this when you were involved in a residency. Since now you know this has nothing to do with how things are currently with myself and the residency I help with, how did this work in your residency experience as an attending? Thanks!

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

all the cases are faxed or emailed to our residency coordinator who puts them on a weekly schedule.

The chief resident assigns cases to the residents based on in-house vs "floating" rotations as well as level of resident and attending preferences.

If a case needs to go uncovered the attending gets a phone call or email from the chief letting them know.

The schedule is emailed to all the residents, program director and most of the attendings.

Feli

Übermensch
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Mich
Status
Podiatrist
We have a 2nd year assigned to making the schedule, and all residents on pod surg service pick cases when it's finished. Third years (their pick order amongst eachother varies) choose until they are finished, then 2nd years until they're finished, then the first year on pod surg gets whatever's left... or can double cases with seniors. If we have more cases in a given day than we can cover, we can usually try to pull a resident who is on pod clinic or a non-pod rotation... or sometimes just call the attending and tell them we can't make it.

Residency director or chief resolve any pick issues or could potentially assign picks if it was needed to balance cases... has never happened in my time here, though. With the rotation of the pecking order, everyone's numbers seem to end up roughly equal and well above the MAVs.