who thinks the federal law of transferring controls should be removed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MARX22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,

the state I studied in did not allow the transfer of controls, but i’m studying for another MPJE now which does allow it. I don’t understand why they’d allow it, as if non controls weren’t enough of a hassle to transfer. Controls have so much more info that’s required

1-what if I waste my time transferring it in then I determine I don’t want to dispense it for whatever reason (ddi, too early, etc.)? So useless

2-it asks for original number of fills, locations they were filled, and how many fills remain. Is the fills remaining including the one I’m using up now when getting it transferred in, or do you subtract one?

3- if the patient got partial amounts, how do you even determine how many refills are left? I don’t want to sit there and add all the previous quantities up then subtract from original quantity times refills to determine how many pills are left. Nobody has time for that!

Maybe my more experienced fellows can chime in! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask how many pills are remaining and the original quantity. Both will probably be given from the other pharmacy without you having to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Just ask how many pills are remaining and the original quantity. Both will probably be given from the other pharmacy without you having to ask.

so if original was 30 with 3 refills then thats 120 total,if they say 75 is left (assuming they got weird amounts like 30 then 15), then thats 75/30= 2.5 refills. Do you just round down and put it as 2 refills remaining? Or is it 1 because now I’m going to use one up?

Also, does the computer even show how many pills are left for them to provide me with that info? Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s the same as every other transfer. Don’t overthink it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It’s the same as every other transfer. Don’t overthink it.

In my home state we dont transfer controls and its done on a one time basis for non controls, so refills never transfer. I never had to think about it before so im just wondering how to calculate the refills properly so i dont end up authorizing more than I’m supposed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my home state we dont transfer controls and its done on a one time basis for non controls, so refills never transfer. I never had to think about it before so im just wondering how to calculate the refills properly so i dont end up authorizing more than I’m supposed to

As others have said, just find out how many tablets are left on the Rx. NY pharmacy law is ridiculous.

As others have said, just find out how many tablets are left on the Rx. NY pharmacy law is ridiculous.
Haha, everyone says ny is ridiculous but now that I think of it, I think it’s easier not allowing transfers on controls. We’re already busy as it is without those.

idk if all systems show pills remaining, but even if they did, i dont recall my system letting me input that. Just quantity written (30) and how many refills remain, which we always left 0 because we could only transfer one at a time haha

Haha, everyone says ny is ridiculous but now that I think of it, I think it’s easier not allowing transfers on controls. We’re already busy as it is without those.

idk if all systems show pills remaining, but even if they did, i dont recall my system letting me input that. Just quantity written (30) and how many refills remain, which we always left 0 because we could only transfer one at a time haha

It's more of a pain if you can't transfer controls when you are out-of-stock, that makes pt's pretty made. Transferring controls is no more difficult than transferring a regular RX. If it's for an odd amount, like Original was Suboxone 8/2mg, #30 + 2 refills, but the pt only gets #10/fill because they don't have insurance, so when you get the RX, their is only #40 left on the RX, then put it in the computer as #10 + 3 refills, or #40 + 0 refills.

It's more of a pain if you can't transfer controls when you are out-of-stock, that makes pt's pretty made. Transferring controls is no more difficult than transferring a regular RX. If it's for an odd amount, like Original was Suboxone 8/2mg, #30 + 2 refills, but the pt only gets #10/fill because they don't have insurance, so when you get the RX, their is only #40 left on the RX, then put it in the computer as #10 + 3 refills, or #40 + 0 refills.
Interesting method, I had never thought of it that way. I’ll have to find out if that’s ok by law here because in NY, you can’t change the quantity written for any rx without the doctor’s permission, so I probably wouldn’t be able to change to 10 with 3 refills if the original qty was written as 30. Also if the patient ended up wanting 30 at once (like original order stated), in NY i wouldn’t be able to dispense it as it would then exceed the quantity written of 10.

The only downside I viewed to transfer of controls was not only the extra work needed bc of a control, but that what if the pharmacy it got transferred to ends up not wanting to fill it bc of whatever judgment call like ddi or too early etc after it was already transferred to them?

What do you normally do when you transfer a medication and don’t want to fill it? Just do that.

You are way overthinking it. I can’t imagine doing a transfer that I didn’t plan to fill. Naturally you would just refuse the transfer in the first place.

Reactions: 2 users
What do you normally do when you transfer a medication and don’t want to fill it? Just do that.

You are way overthinking it. I can’t imagine doing a transfer that I didn’t plan to fill. Naturally you would just refuse the transfer in the first place.

That’s true, I’m always overthinking well sometimes when it’s busy you don’t realize until after you process then the system alerts you to something. Also the other issue with controls is I don’t find telephone rxs to be reliable since you really don’t know who’s on the other end. Plus, an rph may have decided to process that script after talking to the “prescriber” or agent but I’d still have a responsibility of doing my best to verify the identity of who called, so maybe it’s better to ask from the start and not transfer it in.

Also, do you guys hop onto the state registry while the transferring rph is on the phone to make sure the pt wouldn’t be getting it early? Just feel bad thinking of holding the fellow rph on the line

Would anyone ask the rph for names of all the drugs (and their doses) being transferred in, add it to the drug interaction checker in their profile (if theres an option), and make sure doses are within range that you’d be comfortable dispensing? (Talking about multiple transfers in general, not necessarily controls). I used to get a lot of transfers at once (not control in NY), and it would be overwhelming so I’d just do the transfer then contact the doc if there were any issues.

Last edited:
That’s true, I’m always overthinking well sometimes when it’s busy you don’t realize until after you process then the system alerts you to something. Also the other issue with controls is I don’t find telephone rxs to be reliable since you really don’t know who’s on the other end. Plus, an rph may have decided to process that script after talking to the “prescriber” or agent but I’d still have a responsibility of doing my best to verify the identity of who called, so maybe it’s better to ask from the start and not transfer it in.

Also, do you guys hop onto the state registry while the transferring rph is on the phone to make sure the pt wouldn’t be getting it early? Just feel bad thinking of holding the fellow rph on the line

Would anyone ask the rph for names of all the drugs (and their doses) being transferred in, add it to the drug interaction checker in their profile (if theres an option), and make sure doses are within range that you’d be comfortable dispensing? (Talking about multiple transfers in general, not necessarily controls). I used to get a lot of transfers at once (not control in NY), and it would be overwhelming so I’d just do the transfer then contact the doc if there were any issues.

You’re straight up talking crazy.

Relax.

Get the orders into the patient’s profile. Fill what is appropriate. Don’t fill what isn’t. Contact the prescriber(s) to deal with any problems. That’s how pharmacy works. It’s the same as if they handed you a fistful of hard copies.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I check PDMP before deciding to take a transfer. Why would I waste time transferring something I don't want to fill

Same thing for rando patients who have Rx called in. Sometimes pt is sleeping with the prescriber in exchange for benzos

LOL @ at asking about all the names of drugs on a transfer

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting method, I had never thought of it that way. I’ll have to find out if that’s ok by law here because in NY, you can’t change the quantity written for any rx without the doctor’s permission, so I probably wouldn’t be able to change to 10 with 3 refills if the original qty was written as 30. Also if the patient ended up wanting 30 at once (like original order stated), in NY i wouldn’t be able to dispense it as it would then exceed the quantity written of 10.

If you can't change the original qty in New York, then all the transfers you get should be multiples of the original qty (ie nobody should be getting a partial RX, unless you are taking out of state transfers.....in which case I would round it down and tell the pt that due to state law only intact refills could be transferred.

The only downside I viewed to transfer of controls was not only the extra work needed bc of a control, but that what if the pharmacy it got transferred to ends up not wanting to fill it bc of whatever judgment call like ddi or too early etc after it was already transferred to them?

Generally most pharmacists will volunteer that they refused to fill an RX because it's early, when you call for the transfer. If they don't, then just ask them when the RX was last filled (this is normally part of the transfer anyway.) If it's early, you can either refuse the transfer or take it and tell the patient that you won't fill it until it's due (but don't do this in IL, because the law limits to 1 transfer of a controlled substance, so then the pt will be stuck at your pharmacy and mad if you don't fill it. ) If the patient has been on it, then you would only have to worry about a DDI if they start a new drug, so you don't need their entire history from the other pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
In any transfer I always hated asking for the number of refills left. I would only ever ask for the quantity remaining.

I'm fine with no transfer of controls. Some pharmacies simply don't do anything to keep track of how many refills are being transferred out. I had this 1 patient whose doctor keeps sending all her prescriptions to 1 specific pharmacy against the patients request to our pharmacy so we had to call for a transfer refill every darn month for her medications. At some point calling it in her refills the pharmacist at the other end still gave the same original Rx number for the 7th time and I was like wait..didn't this script only have 5 refills originally?

I guess everyone has their own system but personally I would only do a transfer after deciding that I would fill the script. So I would check PDMP before initiating the transfer. I certainly wouldn’t try to make another pharmacist stay on the line while checking PDMP (seriously?). I also wouldn’t worry about interactions since the transfer would presumably be for a refill not a new medication.

You are just making up road blocks because the underlining issue is you don’t want to do transfers. I don’t blame you but the reality is controls aren’t much more work than any other transfers. You will get used to them in no time.

You’re straight up talking crazy.

Relax.

Get the orders into the patient’s profile. Fill what is appropriate. Don’t fill what isn’t. Contact the prescriber(s) to deal with any problems. That’s how pharmacy works. It’s the same as if they handed you a fistful of hard copies.

The only difference is first you need to write all the info on paper, then type up the rx, then transfer it in/enter the other pharmacy/pharmacist/original rx # etc into the system as well. I think transfers are just a pain in the butt vs getting the rx directly as a hard copy or erx. The only extra concern with controls is if you don’t want to fill it and your state doesn’t let you do another transfer on it to get rid of it, then pt will just need a new rx sent to another place. I guess it’s whatever, I’m just bugging myself over the pt getting mad haha

I check PDMP before deciding to take a transfer. Why would I waste time transferring something I don't want to fill

Same thing for rando patients who have Rx called in. Sometimes pt is sleeping with the prescriber in exchange for benzos

LOL @ at asking about all the names of drugs on a transfer

Haha, what I meant by asking for all names of drugs on the transfer was if the rph was transferring multiple drugs to me. How exactly do you know beforehand if you’re willing to fill it or not if you don’t know what kind of alerts you’ll run into after processing? I agree with you on not wasting time on a transfer if you don’t want to fill it, but just trying to get insight on your approach.

If you can't change the original qty in New York, then all the transfers you get should be multiples of the original qty (ie nobody should be getting a partial RX, unless you are taking out of state transfers.....in which case I would round it down and tell the pt that due to state law only intact refills could be transferred.

Generally most pharmacists will volunteer that they refused to fill an RX because it's early, when you call for the transfer. If they don't, then just ask them when the RX was last filled (this is normally part of the transfer anyway.) If it's early, you can either refuse the transfer or take it and tell the patient that you won't fill it until it's due (but don't do this in IL, because the law limits to 1 transfer of a controlled substance, so then the pt will be stuck at your pharmacy and mad if you don't fill it. ) If the patient has been on it, then you would only have to worry about a DDI if they start a new drug, so you don't need their entire history from the other pharmacy.

Thanks for your advice. I didn’t mean to ask the other rph for the patient’s whole profile LOL, sorry I wasn’t clear enough. What I meant was if the rph called me to transfer multiple rxs to me, what’s the best way to assess if I’ll even fill them? I don’t know every single DDI/contraindication so if they also have a profile at my store, something might pop up after I process. It’s ok if it’s something I can inform/advise md on, then dispense. My only concern is if it ends up being major and I don’t want to dispense even if I speak to md, then now in IL you can’t transfer it back. I guess pt will just have to get a new rx lmao

I'm fine with no transfer of controls. Some pharmacies simply don't do anything to keep track of how many refills are being transferred out. I had this 1 patient whose doctor keeps sending all her prescriptions to 1 specific pharmacy against the patients request to our pharmacy so we had to call for a transfer refill every darn month for her medications. At some point calling it in her refills the pharmacist at the other end still gave the same original Rx number for the 7th time and I was like wait..didn't this script only have 5 refills originally?

Wow, that’s another concern. I guess you can only do so much. I’d prefer no transfer on controls too, feel like things would be easier.

I guess everyone has their own system but personally I would only do a transfer after deciding that I would fill the script. So I would check PDMP before initiating the transfer. I certainly wouldn’t try to make another pharmacist stay on the line while checking PDMP (seriously?). I also wouldn’t worry about interactions since the transfer would presumably be for a refill not a new medication.

You are just making up road blocks because the underlining issue is you don’t want to do transfers. I don’t blame you but the reality is controls aren’t much more work than any other transfers. You will get used to them in no time.

Oh yea, of course I wouldn’t call the rph and make them wait. The issue is sometimes the rph from the other pharmacy calls you to tell you they’re transferring out to you... so at that point, if its a control you dont really have many options but to check while theyre on the line or call them back later to do it after u check pdmp.

As for not worrying about interactions because they’re refills, you guys see how much people differ on filling certain meds just from this forum alone. Some rphs are very lax, and some are more cautious. There have been times I’ve brought something up about a refill that I was encountering for the first time, and the MD was actually grateful and didn’t want me to dispense. It makes it difficult when you’re trying to be cautious and CYA as much as possible. That’s the only reason I’d feel more hesitant about transfers since I’d still want to assess it as I would any other new rx, except this takes more time since it’s a transfer plus its a control so even more steps. Another issue is if I dont want to fill it now I cant transfer it back elsewhere lol. I don’t have all DDIs/CI/doses memorized perfectly for every single drug for me to assess before I even accept the transfer, ya know? Esp if the other rph calls me vs me asking the pt about the drug then initiating the transfer myself.

You have other pharmacists calling you to initiate transfers? Maybe I have a bad memory but I don't recall that happening to me often if at all.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which I would initiate a transfer and then have reservations about filling it. I suppose I must be one of those lax pharmacists you are talking about.

I also cannot imagine initiating a call to another pharmacist to give a transfer. I am curious how many pharmacists here would do that or have had other pharmacists do that to them? I do not think it is industry standard at all.

I guess what I am really trying to understand is why you think transfers are different than any other scripts you have a concern about. Whatever your normal process is for resolving concerns is what you should do for transfers as well.

The scenario where you transfer in a control and decide not to fill it and then inform the patient that they will have to get a new script due to the transfer should be so rare it is basically a unicorn. I doubt any pharmacist will ever call you to initiate the transfer of a control. I think if that happened to me I would just tell the pharmacist to have the patient call me first. Why would any pharmacist call another pharmacist to give a control transfer?

Yep, if I get a rph asking for transfer, I definitely tell them I already refused to fill because it was 4 days early. Up to the other rph if they want to fill 4 days early, but it would be professional to uphold my judgement as appropriate.

You have other pharmacists calling you to initiate transfers? Maybe I have a bad memory but I don't recall that happening to me often if at all.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which I would initiate a transfer and then have reservations about filling it. I suppose I must be one of those lax pharmacists you are talking about.

I also cannot imagine initiating a call to another pharmacist to give a transfer. I am curious how many pharmacists here would do that or have had other pharmacists do that to them? I do not think it is industry standard at all.

I guess what I am really trying to understand is why you think transfers are different than any other scripts you have a concern about. Whatever your normal process is for resolving concerns is what you should do for transfers as well.

The scenario where you transfer in a control and decide not to fill it and then inform the patient that they will have to get a new script due to the transfer should be so rare it is basically a unicorn. I doubt any pharmacist will ever call you to initiate the transfer of a control. I think if that happened to me I would just tell the pharmacist to have the patient call me first. Why would any pharmacist call another pharmacist to give a control transfer?

Yeah, it’s happened to me before where the pt doesn’t want their med in another pharmacy and gets THAT rph to call me and have it transferred to us. Weird, I know lol. I don’t think it’s the industry standard either.

I get what you’re saying, and I guess why I’m viewing transfers different than other rxs is that not only are you writing everything down on paper, typing rx, then typing info about the transfer into system etc... which is a pain in the backside if you’re not going to end up filling lol but the main thing is a pt might transfer it to my pharmacy and assume they’ll get it right away, vs if it came to me through erx or a written rx I would be able to “justify” why it’s taking some time, or even refuse it. If it’s a transfer they’re probably more likely to expect it on the spot, and definitely not want to hear that you won’t fill. I think I need to stop caring about patients getting pissed off but I cant help it lol.

As for you being lax, I want to be more like that but I’m just so paranoid of someone suing or ODing on a control that I’ll end up losing my license or in jail. Jail scares me the most lol. Otherwise, I don’t care to complicate my life for fun

Last edited:
Yep, if I get a rph asking for transfer, I definitely tell them I already refused to fill because it was 4 days early. Up to the other rph if they want to fill 4 days early, but it would be professional to uphold my judgement as appropriate.

Yeah exactly, it would be considerate to let them know

I call to transfer out if I am unable to fill and it’s my fault (usually that means I’m out of stock).

Probably depending on the setting you are working at. It happens frequently at independent pharmacies when 1 pharmacy is familiar with another or have same owners and 1 is out of stock of a medication. We usually just call to ask if they have a medication and if they do, we just transfer the script.

How does this happen? Don't you have to transfer out the entire RX? I've never heard of this, transferring out 1 refill and then the original pharmacy keeps the rest.

Haha, what I meant by asking for all names of drugs on the transfer was if the rph was transferring multiple drugs to me. How exactly do you know beforehand if you’re willing to fill it or not if you don’t know what kind of alerts you’ll run into after processing? I agree with you on not wasting time on a transfer if you don’t want to fill it, but just trying to get insight on your approach.

If it's a refill, there will be little reason not to fill it. When you hear people talking on here about not refilling something their partner fills, it's almost 100% because 1) very high dose or 2) opiod/carisoprodol/benzodiazapine combo, so as long as you remember those 2, you are good to go.

If it’s a transfer they’re probably more likely to expect it on the spot, and definitely not want to hear that you won’t fill. I think I need to stop caring about patients getting pissed off but I cant help it lol.

People will get pissed off no matter what you. All of the people at least some of the time, and some of the people all of the time. So just do your professional duty and don't worry about pissing off people.

Also I wouldn’t do ‘on the spot’ transfers. Tell people it will take x hours. I used to tell people 2 hours personally. I had a partner who told people 24 hours.

How does this happen? Don't you have to transfer out the entire RX? I've never heard of this, transferring out 1 refill and then the original pharmacy keeps the rest.
NY lawmakers did not deem it necessary to have any awareness of the pharmacy laws of the federal government or any other state before inventing their own system whole cloth.

• Wow
Also I wouldn’t do ‘on the spot’ transfers. Tell people it will take x hours. I used to tell people 2 hours personally. I had a partner who told people 24 hours.

Luckily that's illegal in Texas

NYS law doesn't make sense sometimes like in the case of transfer, we are only allowed to transfer 1 refill at a time.

Different pharmacies do different things regarding these scripts with multiple refills. The only benefit of a chain sometimes is that if the doctor sends it to 1 chain, all stores of that chain cause use up whatever remaining refills as if it is 1 pharmacy. If it is being transferred from 1 chain/independent to another doe, some choose to just close out the script completely after transferring 1 refill. Some do the not so legal approach of printing out the script and faxing it over to the other pharmacy and having them process it as a phone or fax prescription. Some just refuse the transfer and call the doctor to send it over.

Last edited:
I just call voicemail of pharmacy across the street. They fax me at their convenience. Works better for both of us.

so if original was 30 with 3 refills then thats 120 total,if they say 75 is left (assuming they got weird amounts like 30 then 15), then thats 75/30= 2.5 refills. Do you just round down and put it as 2 refills remaining? Or is it 1 because now I’m going to use one up?

Also, does the computer even show how many pills are left for them to provide me with that info? Thanks
I round down (or at least I did when I moonlighted) - one of the computer systems I worked with actually let you enter partial refills remaining - I worked so many places (rent-a-pharmacist) I can't remember which one it was.

I
I’d probably forget if I didn’t do it right away. How’d you remember? Jus write yourself a note?

24 hours for a transfer is illegal in texas?

Yep! The limit is 4 hours. If you call CVS for a transfer at 8am and they you they're really busy they have until noon to send the transfer. Otherwise the patient can complain to the board about delaying care.

• Wow
Yep! The limit is 4 hours. If you call CVS for a transfer at 8am and they you they're really busy they have until noon to send the transfer. Otherwise the patient can complain to the board about delaying care.
That’s so stupid! We get busy at work, they can take initiative and bug their doctor to electronically prescribe it to the new pharmacy.

Sorry to rehash this topic again...I deal with a lot of snowbirds and want to be 100% positive of myself. What are the New York transfer laws within the same chain? Can an rx be transferred from another state to NY one time only? Can a control, say civ, ever be transferred or no? Not even if it’s within the same chain? Thank you guys

I just call voicemail of pharmacy across the street. They fax me at their convenience. Works better for both of us.

I absolutely hated the voicemail when I worked pharmacy. I hate to admit it but sometimes I would go my whole day without checking it and I would finally check it after hours..

• Haha
Sorry to rehash this topic again...I deal with a lot of snowbirds and want to be 100% positive of myself. What are the New York transfer laws within the same chain? Can an rx be transferred from another state to NY one time only? Can a control, say civ, ever be transferred or no? Not even if it’s within the same chain? Thank you guys
You can transfer non-controls as many times as you want, but you can only take 1 fill at a time. Controls cannot be transferred, even from another store in the same chain.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

You can transfer non-controls as many times as you want, but you can only take 1 fill at a time. Controls cannot be transferred, even from another store in the same chain.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile
Unless Rx is an original non-controlled (refills can all be transferred @ once if never filled).

Do you ever find yourself shaking your head at all this Byzantine bull**** pharmacists have to deal with, especially in over-regulated states like California?

The DEA is probably one of the dumbest federal agencies out there. You can't transfer a prescription on hold because it's only for "refills"? So have the doctor send it somewhere else. Great job DEA. Instead of having 1 prescription out there, now there are 2.

Reactions: 4 users
The DEA is probably one of the dumbest federal agencies out there. You can't transfer a prescription on hold because it's only for "refills"? So have the doctor send it somewhere else. Great job DEA. Instead of having 1 prescription out there, now there are 2.

DEA, doing everything they can to further US drug problems. Or maybe it's job security, because now they can go after the doctor and pharmacist both for writing and filling these duplicate prescriptions.

• Haha