1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Who to send DAT scores to?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by edkNARF, Mar 14, 2004.

1. edkNARF

edkNARF A is A
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I understand that when one signs up to take the DAT, you have to decide what schools you would like your scores sent to. This may be a dumb question, but can you send scores after you have taken the test? If so, how? I don't want to send out scores until I know what they are.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JRogoff

JRogoff Resident Palatal Phallacy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm not exactly sure how this works. But if you don't check any schools then they most likely won't send the scores. But if you take the DAT a second time they will send the scores of both tests! So there is no point in not sending them the first time. Hope this helps! :D

3. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    When registering for the DAT, don't check any schools to receive your scores. Then, after the DAT, hurry and fill out this form: https://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/online/addtranscript.asp

...with the schools you want to receive your scores. Adding the schools after you have taken the test is more expensive, however.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Part of your DAT application fee, $165, includes sending your scores to 5 dental schools (and you have to make the choices at the time of registeration. If you do not choose any schools you will still have to pay the same amount). However, if you want to score the scores to addition schools after the DAT has been taken, you can do so at the price of $15/school. This request can be made here:

https://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/online/addtranscript.asp

5. OP
    OP
    edkNARF

edkNARF A is A
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Is it really detrimental to my application to have it sent right after? Where the scores will be sent depends on what the scores are. I am planning on taking the DAT in early/mid May, will that be enough time. I don't mind paying later to send the scores out.

6. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

The schools get a record of ALL the times you've taken your DAT score. Even if you do bad and you take it again, the schools will get the scores of the first test.

IMO, send the scores out the first time so that you won't have to spend extra money to send them out again. Send them to the schools you really want to try to get into.

7. JRogoff

JRogoff Resident Palatal Phallacy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    edkNARF:

Dude, stop freeking and listen to ziptree and I, we have both made very good points.(see my other post above) If you take the DAT a couple of times and don't like your score you are not obligated to send them. But when you get a score that you like and send them, the schools with get reports from all tests taken! There is no point in not sending scores, you will just be waisting money. The schools will see the bad tests and the good, no matter what you do. The way in which they view this is a totally different story though.

8. sadiq khan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi,
    Iam planning to apply to dental schools around june to get enrolled in fall 2010,so do i have to take DAT exam before i apply?? or can i apply first around june and take exam around august?so that i have the whole summer to study for DAT..or is it compulsary that i should take DAT and send scores around the time i apply?