Who typically sees more adolescents FP our Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if adolescents are more commenly seen in FP clinics or pediatric clinics. On my rotation in peds I noticed teenagers on the pediatric floor of the hospital but I only saw one or two in outpatient peds.

Thanks for weighing in on the subject!

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to say that is a tough question, because I don't have any facts to back up my statement. You mention seeing less adolecents outpatient, this is probably due to the fact that between 12-18, they really don't have anything to go to the doctor for. They are pretty much done with immunizations, (Except for HPV) there are really no screening catagories in that age group, so really, they only go to the doctor if they are sick. I still would have to assume that peds see more adolecents, based on the fact that they do get admitted to peds, so who are they to follow up with? I feel like the only time I see a teenager, is when either A) their parents have come to the clinic for years and want their children to come there. or B) There are no pediatricians in the area that take their insurance.

I would have to say that is a tough question, because I don't have any facts to back up my statement. You mention seeing less adolecents outpatient, this is probably due to the fact that between 12-18, they really don't have anything to go to the doctor for. They are pretty much done with immunizations, (Except for HPV) there are really no screening catagories in that age group, so really, they only go to the doctor if they are sick. I still would have to assume that peds see more adolecents, based on the fact that they do get admitted to peds, so who are they to follow up with? I feel like the only time I see a teenager, is when either A) their parents have come to the clinic for years and want their children to come there. or B) There are no pediatricians in the area that take their insurance.

It's probably going to be a function of the mix of providers in any given area. But, while you're right that they don't come in quite as often as the younguns requiring routine health care maintenance visits, they come in plenty: school (school dependent as to whether an annual PE is required), college, and pre-sports physicals, acne, birth control options/Rx for females (and a requisite annual pelvic for STD [and Pap after 3 yrs] testing if sexually active), and musculoskeletal complaints being the most common (in my experience in Peds residency).

And they come in for swallowing soda can metal tabs...

Oh wait, that was just 1 patient. But he/she was definitely an adolescent.