Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Who typically sees more adolescents FP our Peds

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by WnderWmn10, Dec 12, 2008.

1. WnderWmn10

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just wondering if adolescents are more commenly seen in FP clinics or pediatric clinics. On my rotation in peds I noticed teenagers on the pediatric floor of the hospital but I only saw one or two in outpatient peds.

Thanks for weighing in on the subject!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Drawing Dead

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would have to say that is a tough question, because I don't have any facts to back up my statement. You mention seeing less adolecents outpatient, this is probably due to the fact that between 12-18, they really don't have anything to go to the doctor for. They are pretty much done with immunizations, (Except for HPV) there are really no screening catagories in that age group, so really, they only go to the doctor if they are sick. I still would have to assume that peds see more adolecents, based on the fact that they do get admitted to peds, so who are they to follow up with? I feel like the only time I see a teenager, is when either A) their parents have come to the clinic for years and want their children to come there. or B) There are no pediatricians in the area that take their insurance.

4. J-Rad

Physician Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's probably going to be a function of the mix of providers in any given area. But, while you're right that they don't come in quite as often as the younguns requiring routine health care maintenance visits, they come in plenty: school (school dependent as to whether an annual PE is required), college, and pre-sports physicals, acne, birth control options/Rx for females (and a requisite annual pelvic for STD [and Pap after 3 yrs] testing if sexually active), and musculoskeletal complaints being the most common (in my experience in Peds residency).

5. generic

generic Senile Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And they come in for swallowing soda can metal tabs...

Oh wait, that was just 1 patient. But he/she was definitely an adolescent.