Who uses energy drinks/supplements to improve their studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you use to help you study?

• Energy Drink (Monster, Red Bull, Amp, etc.)

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • 5-hour energy or a similar product

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Caffeine supplements

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Adderal (or other prescription drug)

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

AuFox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the adderal thread and it got me thinking: How many of you use an energy drink or some kind of supplement to aid in studying?

Members don't see this ad.

i use all of them except for amp/rockstarr/redbull cuz all that sugar makes me feel like i got 3 ninjas kicking me in the stomach :thumbup:

I use those type of drinks before a test. I started doing that over the last year and I think my scores improved by a few percentages, nothing big though. Never used anything like that for studying yet, but with dental school starting I feel that might very well be changing. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I drink coffee when I need to get a lot of studying done...you should make that an option! Also I think the poll might be a little more comprehensive if you made another option for people who don't use any kind of caffeine or stimulants while studying. Just my opinion :)

I am NOT a smart person. I just work my butt off to learn the material. I am a VERY SLOW reader. And on top of those things, as you get older, it is hard to stay away as long as you use to. SO, I survive on Monster. There is absolutely no way last fall I would have been able to only get 18 hours sleep during the 11 days of finals if it weren't for Monster! I love Amp the best, but I cannot get it in bulk at Costco and Krogers(from time to time) like I can Monster. Mt Dew doesn't do anything for me anymore. Can't stand coffee. I can't stand Red Bull. I once got a couple cases of Rockstar at Costco. A month later, the Rockstar literally dissolved holes in the aluminum cans. Not for me anymore. Therefore, Monster is my method of energy (besides late night whoopie sessions on study breaks.:D) Also, during big test weeks, my wife gets up every 1-2 hrs to make sure I am still studying.

Yeah maybe just make an option for "other caffeinated drinks (coffee, soda, etc)" lol

Yeah. Not surprisingly, just after I made the poll I thought, "Huh, I should have two more options. One for soda and one for not taking anything." The idea of coffee never even crossed my mind! I don't know if you can edit the poll though. I searched for about five minutes for options to do so, but have yet to find one! If you know how please let me know! Sorry about that!

i drank holy water 1 hour before the test.

il stick with having 3-4 water bottles a day along with an apple and banana a day. the banana naturally increases your seratonin levels to release stress. and i dont know much about apple, it has natural fructose, and something which could possibly be crack that just makes me feel refreshed. problem with caffeine is that i feel tired after 2 hrs, and my sleep patterns are disturbed unless i have it 8 am. and for energy drinks, well seriously guys thats 24 spoons of sugar and here we are all wanting to be dentists:laugh: i think i reserve that as last LAST resort and thats if i have an exam in 8 hrs and im not completely ready but im really tired of putting myself in those situations

I wonder who voted aderall...hmmmm

I'm assuming you are suggesting I did. I currently haven't voted. I have never taken an over the counter drug unless prescribed, and I currently have never been diagnosed or treated for ADHD or any other similar disorder. So, it wasn't me!

I got the feeling from the adderal thread that it was something that many had tinkered with or done. That, and my current addiction to caffeine lead me to create this thread/poll. I currently intake about 5-6 sodas per day. After reading the two posts about water I plan to try that approach.

However, if I were a reader I could definitely understand where the accusations towards the threads OP (myself) would come from.

I'm assuming you are suggesting I did. I currently haven't voted. I have never taken an over the counter drug unless prescribed, and I currently have never been diagnosed or treated for ADHD or any other similar disorder. So, it wasn't me!

I got the feeling from the adderal thread that it was something that many had tinkered with or done. That, and my current addiction to caffeine lead me to create this thread/poll. I currently intake about 5-6 sodas per day. After reading the two posts about water I plan to try that approach.

However, if I were a reader I could definitely understand where the accusations towards the threads OP (myself) would come from.

lol whoa there buddy, I wasnt talking about you i was talking about the guy who posted the aderall thread? :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
diet coke? :)... i'm a soda person :D

I do regular coke. I'm a crack person:D

During crunch time, having a snack let alone a meal was a big time waster for me. So I tried a drink called ensure. It filled me up and also kept me up during the night. Then I started drinking boost, it did the same thing.

I drank these for a semester. Then summer came along and I got fat. After that summer I chose a meal over studying. Sometimes, I would take pizza with me to the library and have the stacks smell like cheese. Although I didn't appreciate my friends stopping by to say hello, I didn't bring enough to share. :mad:

lol whoa there buddy, I wasnt talking about you i was talking about the guy who posted the aderall thread? :shrug:

Lol, my bad! I guess I read into that way too much!

How about adding "none" to the poll?

I am NOT a smart person. I just work my butt off to learn the material. I am a VERY SLOW reader. And on top of those things, as you get older, it is hard to stay away as long as you use to. SO, I survive on Monster. There is absolutely no way last fall I would have been able to only get 18 hours sleep during the 11 days of finals if it weren't for Monster! I love Amp the best, but I cannot get it in bulk at Costco and Krogers(from time to time) like I can Monster. Mt Dew doesn't do anything for me anymore. Can't stand coffee. I can't stand Red Bull. I once got a couple cases of Rockstar at Costco. A month later, the Rockstar literally dissolved holes in the aluminum cans. Not for me anymore. Therefore, Monster is my method of energy (besides late night whoopie sessions on study breaks.:D) Also, during big test weeks, my wife gets up every 1-2 hrs to make sure I am still studying.

Navy, your part time job isn't driving the Monster advertising cars around, is it? :laugh:

I do regular coke. I'm a crack person:D

During crunch time, having a snack let alone a meal was a big time waster for me. So I tried a drink called ensure. It filled me up and also kept me up during the night. Then I started drinking boost, it did the same thing.

I drank these for a semester. Then summer came along and I got fat. After that summer I chose a meal over studying. Sometimes, I would take pizza with me to the library and have the stacks smell like cheese. Although I didn't appreciate my friends stopping by to say hello, I didn't bring enough to share. :mad:

:laugh: Same here! It's all those good vitamins, lactose and gluten free that makes you feel full of energy....I had the high protein ones and then my jeans started to look more like "biking shorts" and that was the end of it.....but it helped me through a tough summer, was not hungry for hrs, and there was no need to keep it cold.....oh, those were golden days!

Navy, your part time job isn't driving the Monster advertising cars around, is it? :laugh:

****** MONSTER ******

No, but I would love to drive one of the trucks that advertise for MONSTER.

Who knows, maybe a family member of the owners of MONSTER will see me supporting MONSTER and give me one of the trucks advertising MONSTER. :D

Just to clarify. Adderall and other similar drugs are also used to treat various sleep disorders, not just ADHD, and sleep disorders are pretty common. So it's possible that people voting for Adderall have a legit prescription.

I definitely drink caffeine. Tea, Coffee, Coke, energy drinks. I've been trying to cut back, though.

What about good ole fashioned exercise? If you want to stay on top of your game, you need to keep your self in shape. We are future dentists; sugar-filled energy drinks and caffeine overdoses are not necessary or smart. But I do dig the occasional coffee.

Green monsters!! And any coffee I can get my hands on.... Maybe some BAWLS!

il stick with having 3-4 water bottles a day along with an apple and banana a day. the banana naturally increases your seratonin levels to release stress. and i dont know much about apple, it has natural fructose, and something which could possibly be crack that just makes me feel refreshed. problem with caffeine is that i feel tired after 2 hrs, and my sleep patterns are disturbed unless i have it 8 am. and for energy drinks, well seriously guys thats 24 spoons of sugar and here we are all wanting to be dentists:laugh: i think i reserve that as last LAST resort and thats if i have an exam in 8 hrs and im not completely ready but im really tired of putting myself in those situations
This... I'm more of an all natural kind of guy when it comes to this kind of thing, lol. Excluding the occasional Red Bull and vodka at the bar :laugh:

I love me some blue monster

When I walk into the bookstore at school, they have it ready for me. It's my DOC. sometimes I supplement with a pack of peanut m&ms. I need to find out where I can get me some of this.

For some odd reason, caffeine has no effect on me...I love coffee for the taste but it remains unreliable as a stimulator.

When I walk into the bookstore at school, they have it ready for me. It's my DOC. sometimes I supplement with a pack of peanut m&ms. I need to find out where I can get me some of this.

Here are a few places nearest to you they advertise on their website:

7-Eleven​
41260 Murrieta Hot Springs Rd
Murrieta, CA 92562​

7-Eleven
28015 Scott Rd
Menifee, CA 92584​

Eagle Market
14844 Magnolia Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
(818) 905-8566​

Gus's Liquor
22907 Ventura Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
(818) 224-4212​

Oops I voted caffeine sup...but what I really mean is COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE. I love coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not really into sodas or energy drinks :) Point me to the nearest starbucks for a skinny latte!

I had an energy drink once in my life. That was the night before my chemistry final.... I drank it and was able to stay all night (my chem final was 745 am in the next day). I was kinda okay during the exam, but afterward, I really wanted to kill myself for no reason.

I wanted to go to bed, but couldnt cuz the energy drink didnt let me.
And I had to see my professor about my grade in his independent study, so i was riding a bike and i was wicked depressed for no reason..

At my professor's office, he told me that i got an A, and I was 'extremely' happy to hear it, but couldnt respond at all.. he might regret to give me an A after looking at my facial expression (I didnt mean to tho), I think...

Since that, I've been avoiding any kinds of energy drink.. lol
If somebody wants to assassinate me, put energy drink in my water bottle... i will die lol

Here are a few places nearest to you they advertise on their website:

7-Eleven​
41260 Murrieta Hot Springs Rd
Murrieta, CA 92562​

7-Eleven
28015 Scott Rd
Menifee, CA 92584​

Eagle Market
14844 Magnolia Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
(818) 905-8566​

Gus's Liquor
22907 Ventura Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
(818) 224-4212​
Navy, what do you typically pay per energy drink? And, what's a "good deal per energy drink that you have found?

Navy, what do you typically pay per energy drink? And, what's a "good deal per energy drink that you have found?

I purchase Monster (mostly Blue, but occassionally green) at Costco and sometimes Krogers. I pay ~$27 for a case (24 cans) at Costco ~$1.13 per can. Every once in a while Kroger runs a special and I have gotten them as cheap as $0.94 per can there. That is the best deal on any drink I have found.