Who wants to help me edit my school list?! You do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STEVEHOLT1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello premedical and medical superstars. I'm trying to get in my primaries before Bonnaroo and really need some help finalizing a list. First some stats:

I'll be graduating from Northwestern University with honors in biology. Minors in spanish and global health. 3.8 science and regular GPA, 38 MCAT PS11/V13/BS14.

Research: 2 years of research on breast cancer stem cells (about 800 hours). Wrote an honors thesis and have given presentations. Got a $3000 grant to do this research in the summer of 2013.

Clinical Experience: Worked with a women's community health group in Chile for 2 months on violence against women and breast cancer awareness campaigns. Two week long trips to Guatemala on eye care missions. Shadowing at a hospital in Spain for 2 months (but this was high school). 60-70 hours in Chicago shadowing physicians in pediatrics, surgery, and oncology.

Volunteer work: Attended multiple ASB trips and led two trips, one to an HIV clinic in New York and the other to Habitat for Humanity in Mississippi. Volunteer with the global health safety/ ethics office revising all our orientation materials. Rape Victim Advocate in Chicago and lots of sexual assault activism nationally and on campus (founded a student survivor advocate group). Helped to advise the new White House Task Force on Sexual Assault

A bit about me: Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. I definitely want to do global health work during and after medical school, speak fluent spanish, and my main passion in this world is helping women to restore their confidence by giving them back their health and sexuality. I live for music and music festivals and am one of the head organizers of Northwestern's music festival Dillo Day. I consider myself a bit of a functional hippie and need a medical school that is open-minded, collaborative, not religious, in a culturally-rich area and ideally near mountains or water (west coast?). I want to apply to 15ish schools.

Without further ado...THE (working) LIST
Baylor
Creighton
Colorado
Feinberg
Mayo
Oregon
Perelman
Tulane
U Cal San Diego
U Illinois
U Florida
U Michigan
UNC
USF
UVA
U Washington
Vanderbuilt
Vermont
Wisconsin

How are these schools for oos? What are my safeties? Thanks for any and all feedback! You're all great.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yikes, can you separate your EC's into a more reader friendly format?

Also be sure to include your home state, how many schools you want to apply to, and if you have any regional preferences/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Yikes, can you separate your EC's into a more reader friendly format?

Also be sure to include your home state, how many schools you want to apply to, and if you have any regional preferences/etc.
Yep! This is my first post. I'll reformat this and post again later.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with aiming high; you're golden. I'd like to see a little more clinical ECs that are actually within your home city.

Goro suggests any of:

Baylor
Creighton
Colorado
Feinberg
Mayo
Perelman
Tulane
U Cal San Diego
U Illinois
U Michigan
USF
Vanderbilt
Vermont
Wisconsin
Pitt
USC
ALL ILL schools except SIU
Duke
Einstein
Mt Sinai
BU Tufts

Just letting you know that UF and USF heavily favor FL residents, but your stats and ecs are so good that you have a chance there. If you don't already know about the msar then you should google it and definitely buy it. Like goro said, more clinical ecs would be nice

As long as you apply to your state medical schools and have that option in the bag, you're in good shape.