Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Who will be happy to narrow the focus of their education?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrBodacious, Mar 22, 2004.

1. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

This last semester of college has been pretty taxing in that I've got a diverse class schedule. American History, HIV/AIDS social perspectives class, biochem, developmental biology, and I'm also working on my thesis which an ecology research project/paper. More than ever, I'm finding it really tough to switch gears from one class to another; to go from writing a 20 pp. paper on socio-economic risk factors and treatment prevention for HIV in sub-Saharn Africa, to doing stats and graphs with mounds of data and organizing all of that into a paper to submit for publication with my ecology thesis project. Throw in memorizing 30 years of History or the TCA cycle on any given evening, argh. I've got a phys ed class too, but I won't complain about that, although it requires 3 hours of class per week.

I'm hoping, even though Med School will be at least as much effort as I'm putting in now, that since I'll be studying all science subjects it will be a little easier on the noggin. Throughout all my studying I'll be able to have the underlying purpose -- learning what I'll need to know to be a doctor. I think that will be much better than jumping through the variety of graduation requirements/hoops that I'm having to do right now. Anyone else feel this way? or think I'm delusional and that med school will be way harder than my wimpy undergrad classes?

2. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you generally tend to want what you dont have. When i am taking classes that are all "thinking" (i.e. math classes) I wish i was taking rote memory classes and when taking rote memory classes i wish I was takieng thinking classes.

3. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

Hmm... you might be on to something there. I guess I just want to graduate right now, and I'm trying to keep up an optomistic attitude for the fall/next 4 years. I can't say I've ever wanted to take rote memorization classes though over thinking classes. I guess med school is a hell of a lot of rote memorization... damnit there goes my optomism.