• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

how may hours per week do you work

• 0 hours/wk

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • 1-5 hours/wk

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 6-10 hours/wk

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • 11-20 hours/wk

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • 21-30 hours/wk

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • 31-40 hours/wk

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • 41-60 hours/wk

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • 61-80 hours/wk

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 81+ hours/wk

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status (Visible)
usually 40-50 and don't get OT when every other tech does.....fair?

About the Ads

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2005
The United States of Texas
Status (Visible)
Put in only the paid hours but it doesn't matter.

Nice to see that SDN members are rather productive members of society,

I pull in at least 75 hours per week nowa days.:scared:

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
RT job: depends on the schedule and whether I feel like overtime or not, so between 24-60 hrs per week
Continuing education writing job: flexible hours, as it's a freelance gig, but usually <10 hrs per week
Volunteer EMS/Fire: depends on call volume and availability, but I try to be available about 24-36 hrs per week
Research/Writing: depends on what I'm working on but lately, 16-20 hrs per week would probably be pretty close

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I don't get overtime pay either for tutoring because I'm self employed but isn't there a law against that if you are employed, I think it's illegal for them to work you more than 40 hours without overtime pay.
It depends on the type of work you're doing and I believe it varies from state to state as well.

future_dr_house

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
For those of you with tech jobs, what certifications did you have to get them or did you train/certify afterwards? Did you apply online or ask people you knew?

dantt

15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't get overtime pay either for tutoring because I'm self employed but isn't there a law against that if you are employed, I think it's illegal for them to work you more than 40 hours without overtime pay.

"Exempt employee" (most salaried employees) are "exempt" from certain wage and hour laws including OT.

About the Ads

dantt

15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For those of you with tech jobs, what certifications did you have to get them or did you train/certify afterwards? Did you apply online or ask people you knew?

Common cert for entry level engineer is EIT. It's not that big of a deal but it gives you a little bit more credibility when applying for a job and maybe a small bonus or raise.

right now 20 hrs a week as limited by work-study. in undergrad, there were weeks i worked 40hrs with class/assignments/tests as a consultant. when i didn't have school, 50hrs a week.

tredici

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
full-time undergrad plus 25-hour workweeks (32 last week) plus 8-10 hours doing research each week.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Throughout my degree I've worked as many as 32 hours a week while taking 16 upper division science credits. Average is probably around 15 hrs/wk with 15 upper division science credits

Halligan

10+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
usually 40-50 and don't get OT when every other tech does.....fair?

I don't get OT as a tech, it's BS. They took it away to give to the nurses and LPNs!!!!!!!!!!! Bah! I work the same . . . about 50...but I also volly on a fire dpt for about 10 hrs a week..so like murphy said...it seems to be a little subjective.

future_dr_house

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Common cert for entry level engineer is EIT. It's not that big of a deal but it gives you a little bit more credibility when applying for a job and maybe a small bonus or raise.

Sorry, not that. I've had a job offer for entry level engineering. I need paid clinical experience

GIGATT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
50 hours of real work (biopharm. company) and full time Masters program (18 credits) on top of that plus thesis write up. Hubby is a busy guy. At least he's not doing all of that AND studying for his MCAT like last year! Phew!

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
60-64 hrs. over 7 days, so its not too bad, but that just means no weekend for KaraKiz.. more :sleep: would be nice...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.