WHOA! MCG 2ndary - 2 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ermonty

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got MCG's secondary today and it threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting to get any secondaries anytime soon, cause: 1) My AMCAS app is still waiting to be verified, and 2) I haven't taken the MCAT yet (AUG). So it caught me off gaurd when the 2ndary came in the mail today. But I was like that's cool UNTIL I READ THAT IT HAD TO BE RETURNED WITH MY RECOMMENDATIONS IN TWO WEEKS! I was like CRAP :eek: , cause I my premed committee advisor (and a professor that will be writing one of my personal recomendations) is out of the country until school starts back. Also, though I have my other recommendations lined up, I have yet to let them know when I need the recs, cause I thought I would wait until after the MCAT to let them know what's up.
SO, MY QUESTION IS - Is it an absolute must to return this secondary in two weeks. Anybody know about this stuff (MCG in particular)?

Also, how the heck does MCG know about me applying if my app isn't even verified yet?:confused:

ERIC

Members don't see this ad.

Is MCG = medical college of georgia?

Does anyone know what the typical window of time schools give for 2ndaries?

LittleMD,
Yes, MCG=Medical College of Georgia.
Some schools give you 2 weeks, some give you 4, and some give you as much time as you need, but in all cases, it's best if you submit the secondaries in a timely manner. Don't let them all pile up and wait till the last minute to send them in. That's BAD!

Members don't see this ad :)
ermonty,
Call MCG and explain the situation. I'm sure they'll be MORE than willing to grant you an extension. This is nothing new to them. There's no need to panic. :) MCG knows you're applying b/c soon after you submit your AMCAS, AAMC sends each school a list of applicants that have applied to their particular program. MCG saw your name on their list and sent you their secondary, so you could get started on it. :)

I have the same situation as you. I talked to my committee advisor and she told me they write a letter to the school your applying to and send in the recs that they have. In the letter they tell the school the committee letter will follow later. With this letter they send the schools will consider your file complete.

Thanks ThingAMaJig. I'm gonna call MCG monday and ask for the extension. I'll get my app in as soon as I can, and then just have my reccomendations sent in as soon as possible.

ThingAMaJig - do you know if Mercer sends out 2ndaries prior to screening MCAT scores also?:)

ermonty, I don't know the answer to your question regarding Mercer. Sorry I can't help you with that one. Did you try a search of the pre-allo threads? I thought I saw a thread awhile back listing schools that do/do not screen. Maybe I just dreamed it up...? :)