Whoa! My biology professor knows me out of a class of 120 students!

alexfoleyc

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
Well, im not one of those annoying freshies who sit in the front and ask stupid questions or anything. I didnt go to her office hours either. I did email her few times and I did stay after class to ask a question. But the cool thing is today I was eating lunch outside and she said hi to me. I was like, "it was an honor to say hi to you, your excellency." Do you think I should go see her duting office hours? She does know me, obviously, but I guess not in-depth. Well, the main question is how do I keep in touch with her so she remembers me when it comes to LORs?

alexfoleyc

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
Oops, I meant 150 students!!
Well, im not one of those annoying freshies who sit in the front and ask stupid questions or anything. I didnt go to her office hours either. I did email her few times and I did stay after class to ask a question. But the cool thing is today I was eating lunch outside and she said hi to me. I was like, "it was an honor to say hi to you, your excellency." Do you think I should go see her duting office hours? She does know me, obviously, but I guess not in-depth. Well, the main question is how do I keep in touch with her so she remembers me when it comes to LORs?

About the Ads

Retsage

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
lolwut.jpg

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
OMFG 150 students?? that's like a freakin city man!!! You're amazing!!

TehDoc

What a pain...
10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2008
CA
Status (Visible)
I feel honored to reply to your thread since your professor knows you.

Docere

10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Usually professors really remember the ones that do super well in the class. Hopefully you're one of those. If you are, it would be a good idea to ask her questions, probably face-to-face, about some of the topics you learned and try to apply them to current news or something. Show that you're able to think for yourself rather than memorizing stuff out of books. Sure, it may seem a little like you're ass-kissing, but hey, if it gets you where you need to go, go for it. Plus, if it's not you, it'll probably be another student who would one day take your place in med school. That's my reasoning anyway.

After a few meetings with her, maybe ask her about her research or tell her that you're interested in med school and would like to do some research and could you count on her recommendation?

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Full name or just first name? It makes a big difference....

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i always recommend going to office hours even to network/schmooze for LOR. just treat your prof with the same respect you would with say your boss. don't treat him/her like some sort of demi-god. this has been my rule of thumb.

and ignore the snide comments. you did a good job standing out.

That's great and all and it's not a bad thing to stand out for good reasons, but I wouldn't trumpet the fact that your prof picked you out of a class about the size of some of my recitations. I'm exaggerating, but a class of 120 isn't all that huge.

Anyway, if you do go to office hours, don't be an annoying premed (fill that stereotype in your head however you want). A lot of science profs are used to premeds feigning interest in their research or the class material and can hear the sucking sound from a mile away. That said, they also know that writing LORs is part of their job.

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If you have questions or you want to talk to her about working in her lab, sure, go to her office hours. But it's not necessary to go just for the hell of it. Like you said, she obviously knows who you are already.

MattD

Curmudgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
www.yellow5.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My Cell and Mol. Bio professor in med school (class of 178) knew me. I attended class probably 20% of the time, never once asked a question, never once spoke to her, and when I was there sat far in the back of the lecture hall. I went by her office toward the end of the course to ask her about something, and she greeted me by name. I thought it was weird, so I straight up asked her, how did you know my name, we've never spoken before now. Turns out at the beginning of the course she looked at the class roster, which has pictures, and her memory is just THAT GOOD. I was impressed.

Forbes

K20A2
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Try and build a decent relationship with her because the perks are incredible. By build, I do not mean suck up. Be yourself, if you don't have any questions about the class go to her office hours for advice. The advisers at my school are downright awful, so I rely on my professors to dispense 'academic advice' to me. In my experience their advice is worthwhile and then you can build a good relationship with them.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.