whoa whoa whoa -- BCP? or BCPM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i see everyone on here puts up their bcp gpa, not bcpm. do dental schools just look at bcp, and not bcpm? the difference is a whole tenth of a point (for the better) without calc for me...

Members don't see this ad.

bcpm... I guess that would more be your overall science GPA, since math is counted as an "other-science." The dental schools not only see your cGPA, sGPA, BCP, but also individual Bio, Chem, and Physics GPA's calculated - so having one GPA be slightly better doesn't really make a difference in the long run.

i see everyone on here puts up their bcp gpa, not bcpm. do dental schools just look at bcp, and not bcpm? the difference is a whole tenth of a point (for the better) without calc for me...

I believe I remember reading on the AADSAS website that your science gpa includes bio, chem, physics, and math. For me the math raises my gpa so I hope it does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine: BCPM
Dental: BCP
sucks i know

so there's a BCP gpa which is bio, chem and physics. And then there's a science gpa which is bio, chem, physics, and math.

science not only includes BCPM, but also includes computer science, engineering, engineering writing, finances. check FAQ

science not only includes BCPM, but also includes computer science, engineering, engineering writing, finances. check FAQ

Actually,

computer science = non-science course

Who would've guessed?...

haha ok so then so far no two people have given me the same answer... there seem to be a lot of opinions out there. i took a stats course for psychology but that doesn't get counted... no one really seems to be sure!

AADSAS 2009 Application Cycle - 21 -

Course Subject
Use your best judgment to classify your courses as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Other Science (Sciences
other than biology-chemistry-physics), or Non Science. Use the examples below as guidelines.

Biology:
Examples: Anatomy
Biochemistry (if offered by a biology department)
Biology
Biophysics (if offered by a biology department)
Botany
Genetics
Medicine
Microbiology
Neuroscience
Pathology
Pharmacy/Pharmacology (could also be classified as Chemistry)
Physiology
Zoology

Chemistry:
Examples: Biochemistry (if offered by a chemistry department)
Chemistry
General Chemistry
Inorganic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Chemistry for Engineering Majors (offered through engineering programs)

Physics:
Examples: Biophysics (if offered by a physics department)
Physics

Other Science Courses (Other science courses that do not fall under the categories of Biology, Chemistry or
Physics)
Examples: Agriculture
Animal Sciences
Astronomy
Audiology
Clinical Sciences
Dental Hygiene
Nutrition
Engineering
Health Technology
Geology
Kinesiology
Mathematics
Nursing
Physical Sciences
Plant Sciences
Sports Sciences

Non-Science Courses (Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Services, Business and miscellaneous courses)
Examples: Anthropology
Art
Behavioral Sciences
Business
Computer Sciences
Communications
Economics
Education
English
Foreign Languages
Forensic Sciences
Geography
History Humanities
Music
Physical Education
Political Science
Psychology
Public Affairs/Administration
Public Health
Social Sciences
Sociology
Social Work
Speech
Sports Administration

The AADSAS Transcript Processing Department will verify each course subject after receipt of your official
transcripts.

Sometimes applicants complete courses in non-science departments that have an intense focus in a science
field. For example, a student may take a course offered through the Psychology Department called Physiology
of the Brain. In this situation, the applicant would classify the course as a Non-science, because all
Psychology courses are classified as non-science. AADSAS will not re-classify that course as a Biology
course, and it will not be used to compute your Biology-Chemistry-Physics GPA. (Applicants may want to
make special mention of such courses in other sections of their applications such as in the personal
statement.)

Thus, your stats course would be considered non-science because it was offered by the Psych department.

bcpm... I guess that would more be your overall science GPA, since math is counted as an "other-science." The dental schools not only see your cGPA, sGPA, BCP, but also individual Bio, Chem, and Physics GPA's calculated - so having one GPA be slightly better doesn't really make a difference in the long run.
No they don't. They see cumulative GPA, science GPA, non-science GPA, and BCP GPA. Look at your AADSAS GPA report.

Loma Linda showed me my print out during my interview and it had all of those GPA's calculated separately, as well as the standard ones. Maybe it's just them, but it would make sense that the other schools do the same.

I think schools calculate GPAs different. AADSAS is just a general guide for them.

Which GPA is more important, BCP or total science? I know they see both, but there's a big difference between my BCP & total science. All my engineering classes are in the total science, as well as in the total GPA, so it's like getting screwed twice for being engineering.

I'm hoping the BCP is what's important. Any thoughts?