Whoot! Whoot! Another new school in Utah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Utah firm wants to build a private medical school on part of Provo’s public golf course — but some residents don't like the idea

Anyone else heard of this? I think this institution was working with LECOM back when the latter was trying to build a Provo campus.

The thought of having Rocky Vista University COM and Rocky Mountain University COM in the same state is... unsettling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Utah firm wants to build a private medical school on part of Provo’s public golf course — but some residents don't like the idea

Anyone else heard of this? I think this institution was working with LECOM back when the latter was trying to build a Provo campus.

The thought of having Rocky Vista University COM and Rocky Mountain University COM in the same state is... unsettling.

Eh I saw an article on this idea a while ago, I would be very surprised if it actually happened. LECOM tried this and was shut down pretty hard. I would say the only chance of a medical school opening in Provo would be if BYU started one and I don’t see that happening for a very long time if ever.

Eh I saw an article on this idea a while ago, I would be very surprised if it actually happened. LECOM tried this and was shut down pretty hard. I would say the only chance of a medical school opening in Provo would be if BYU started one and I don’t see that happening for a very long time if ever.
I figured it probably won't happen. Two med schools in Utah is probably enough, tbh. If RVU-Utah can open some residencies (there's a new IM program in Ogden that just got initial accreditation) then Utah will have zero problems attracting physicians overall.

Sadly, I don't think BYU has any interest in opening a medical school. If they did, however, it would probably become one of the most competitive med schools in the country.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, I don't think BYU has any interest in opening a medical school. If they did, however, it would probably become one of the most competitive med schools in the country.

Agreed. Interestingly enough I could see them opening a dental school though.

Haha, Utah doesn't need any more Dentists. At least not along the Wasatch Front.

Lol I know, my cousin just finished school and said that the job market on the wasatch front is like 50k lower than anywhere else. A new dentist office every 200 yds.

I figured it probably won't happen. Two med schools in Utah is probably enough, tbh. If RVU-Utah can open some residencies (there's a new IM program in Ogden that just got initial accreditation) then Utah will have zero problems attracting physicians overall.

I agree. Some of my best students have been BYU grads.

Interestingly, a new IM program recently gained initial accreditation Ogden, and the same hospital had an FM program with pre-accreditation status. There's another newly accredited IM program in Idaho Falls, ID which is basically Utah. If RVU-Utah would forge strong ties with these programs and if COCA could stop itself from green lighting another school, that would be the beginning of a good medical education system, with a school, hospitals for its students to rotate at, and "home programs" for its graduates to attend.

But alas, it isn't to be.

Update

New medical school coming to Utah County in 2021

This is such a bad idea. I love Utah and all but this will do nothing to increase the number of physicians in Utah.

Holy hell 175 students per year? Where on earth do they think these students will rotate? If they really want more doctors in the state they need to open more residency programs throughout the state that aren’t linked to the U. The AOA, through COCA, is ruining our degree by continuing to green light medical schools that will simply produce crappy physicians. RVU-Utah was actually a good decision IMO, but Utah has no need for 3 medical schools.

The bright side is that i see nothing in that article that says they have even applied to COCA, and I have hope that they will have major issues in getting accreditation.

I flew into LAS with a native SU gentleman (happened to be an EMT) in his 50's who told me a lot, lot, LOT about the state and changes therein.
Apparently the population is skyrocketing in his area (St. George metro) with projections of a population increase nearing exponential levels. (IIRC he said the metro is ~150k with a 10-year projection of 500k)
He also noted a 200 bed expansion of the local flagship inpatient service, and I drove by and verified it is expanding.

If everything he said was accurate, it sure seems like the state could eventually support three schools, and so maybe they are just trying to get a jump on it and work those contracts before things get more competitive/existing schools get locked in.

Holy hell 175 students per year? Where on earth do they think these students will rotate? If they really want more doctors in the state they need to open more residency programs throughout the state that aren’t linked to the U. The AOA, through COCA, is ruining our degree by continuing to green light medical schools that will simply produce crappy physicians. RVU-Utah was actually a good decision IMO, but Utah has no need for 3 medical schools.

The bright side is that i see nothing in that article that says they have even applied to COCA, and I have hope that they will have major issues in getting accreditation.
That's exactly what I think. The mountain west could certainly support more GME. St. George would be an awesome spot for an FM program. We need more residency. Not more med schools that'll send students from Utah to Kansas or something for rotation spots.