Whoot! Whoot! Whoot! Two new schools up for pre-accreditation, William Carey applies for increased class size

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I always forget the different statuses. So with pre-accreditation can they seat classes yet?

Wjldenver

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Status
Non-Student
Future COCA agenda items will include:

O Why Increasing Numbers of DO Graduates are Failing to Match
O Alternate, Non-Clinical Careers For DO Graduates

For current COCA members, it is all about new revenue and increasing the absolute number of DO students currently enrolled. It is never about improving DO school pre-clinical and clinical training quality or DO brand improvement. Many COCA actions seem to represent a huge disservice to the entire DO profession.

theriverman

2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Pre-Accreditation Application
California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Pre-Accreditation Application
Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Substantive Change: Planned Class Size Increase Application
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine

I'm tired of new school opening. I'd rather current schools who take good applicants and have good match lists expand their class sizes. William Carey is not one of those schools.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm tired of new school opening. I'd rather current schools who take good applicants and have good match lists expand their class sizes. William Carey is not one of those schools.
Don't worry that's already been happening. Almost every established DO school has already expanded their class size in the last decade.

Reactions: theriverman

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No, cannot solicit applications until preliminary accreditation status reached.
So in other words this is just more added to the list of hopefuls that will most likely not reach the light of day

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not necessarily. Check up on the status of Sam Houston State DO school in September or October to see if they have passed inspection
Now if Sam Houston is supported by Texas and goes through their app system it may not be the worst school trying to open up.

Alkain

2+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Now if Sam Houston is supported by Texas and goes through their app system it may not be the worst school trying to open up.
Don't all TX schools have to go through TMDSAS/are supported by the state?

DrStephenStrange

OMS-II C/O 2022
Bronze Donor
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere I like
Status
Medical Student
I don't think UIWSOM goes through TMDSAS, and tuition is also way higher (55K) than any other TX schools. In other words not supported by the state.

Last edited:

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
The most recent article I could find regarding the proposed Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine suggests that they will not be state-subsidized. This means that their tuition will be more in the range of private schools like UIWSOM. The proposed class size is 150 students.
Watch for news about their accreditation process after the next meeting in late August 2019.
Texas House signs off on medical schools for Sam Houston State, University of Houston

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The most recent article I could find regarding the proposed Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine suggests that they will not be state-subsidized. This means that their tuition will be more in the range of private schools like UIWSOM. The proposed class size is 150 students.
Watch for news about their accreditation process after the next meeting in late August 2019.
Texas House signs off on medical schools for Sam Houston State, University of Houston
That’s too bad really. TX will begin to have two tiers of medical schools in terms of tuition not degree