Whoot! William Carey hires dean for new Louisiana branch campus

jkdoctor

Probationary Status
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2013
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Lake Charles College of Osteopathic Medicine William Carey University (LCCOM – WCU)
Approximately one year ago, the Southwest Louisiana Economic Development Alliance contacted William Carey University (WCU) in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, about opening a College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) campus in Lake Charles to meet the need for primary care physicians in the state. Louisiana is 50th in the country in overall health of the population and 42nd in the number of active primary care physicians per 100,000. WCUCOM leadership has met with multiple parties locally and throughout the state, including Governor Edwards, over the past year and determined that there is strong interest in having an osteopathic medical school in Lake Charles. Letters of support have been received from the Louisiana Osteopathic Medical Association.
WCU is planning to accept 80 students per year on the Lake Charles campus. An economic impact study conducted by Dr. Daryl Burckel at McNeese found that the initial construction project will create approximately 114 jobs, and the college itself will create approximately 224 new permanent jobs with an estimated sustained economic impact of $19,000,000 per year in the Lake Charles area.

Gregg S. Silberg, D.O., M.B.A., R.Ph., has been chosen to be the Dean of the LCCOM –WCU campus. The college is optimistically targeting a start date of summer 2018, pending the securing of funding, as well as accreditation from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation(COCA) and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and Commissions on College (SACSCOC).

Link:
http://www.thriveswla.com/places-faces/plans-announced-for-imperial-pointe

About the Ads

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Woah, woah, woah, wait a minute. WCUCOM has so many issues with attrition, pass rates, and residency placement, how could they possibly be opening a branch?

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Woah, woah, woah, wait a minute. WCUCOM has so many issues with attrition, pass rates, and residency placement, how could they possibly be opening a branch?
Tbh if it weren't for the school's harsh policies, its problems probably wouldnt be quite as bad.

Reactions: kb0275

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Tbh if it weren't for the school's harsh policies, its problems probably wouldnt be quite as bad.
There's more than just attendance issues that make it problematic. As a whole their students are reported to be generally very poorly prepared for clinic and as a whole their rotations are pretty poor too.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I find it troubling that one of the worst DO schools in the country was given the green light for this.
Are you kidding, COCA would green light the renovation of a school in an abandoned K-mart in the right location if it would get applicants. I actually know of a good location near Boston. I could forward the plans to the folks at COCA, maybe LECOM might want to open its 5th campus in Massachusetts. And I would bet serious money they would have the most competitive inaugural class statistics of any DO school.

Reactions: sally23 and Goro

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you kidding, COCA would green light the renovation of a school in an abandoned K-mart in the right location if it would get applicants. I actually know of a good location near Boston. I could forward the plans to the folks at COCA, maybe LECOM might want to open its 5th campus in Massachusetts. And I would bet serious money they would have the most competitive inaugural class statistics of any DO school.
I'll forward the idea to relevant parties. :laugh:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Being honest they'd have a 28 average their first year open.

When I finish my residency, I will my forward them my resume and a cover letter to be their Dean, I heard LECOM administrators are some of the best paid people in the AOA.
how's residency treating you/ whatcha doing?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I know Dr Silberg.

God help them.

If this gets approved, then there will be DO schools in every state of the old Confederacy. LA has long been resistant to DOs.

Lake Charles College of Osteopathic Medicine William Carey University (LCCOM – WCU)
Approximately one year ago, the Southwest Louisiana Economic Development Alliance contacted William Carey University (WCU) in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, about opening a College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) campus in Lake Charles to meet the need for primary care physicians in the state. Louisiana is 50th in the country in overall health of the population and 42nd in the number of active primary care physicians per 100,000. WCUCOM leadership has met with multiple parties locally and throughout the state, including Governor Edwards, over the past year and determined that there is strong interest in having an osteopathic medical school in Lake Charles. Letters of support have been received from the Louisiana Osteopathic Medical Association.
WCU is planning to accept 80 students per year on the Lake Charles campus. An economic impact study conducted by Dr. Daryl Burckel at McNeese found that the initial construction project will create approximately 114 jobs, and the college itself will create approximately 224 new permanent jobs with an estimated sustained economic impact of $19,000,000 per year in the Lake Charles area.

Gregg S. Silberg, D.O., M.B.A., R.Ph., has been chosen to be the Dean of the LCCOM –WCU campus. The college is optimistically targeting a start date of summer 2018, pending the securing of funding, as well as accreditation from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation(COCA) and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and Commissions on College (SACSCOC).

Link:
http://www.thriveswla.com/places-faces/plans-announced-for-imperial-pointe

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Ah yes, those FM and Peds clinics are going to be a downright hive of medical activity. Really top notch clinical training to be had here that will really help those students get acclimated to rural LA seeing as most of their class won't be from LA. That's exactly how to fill the shortage, fill it with 3.0/500 types with no ties to the region in need. :rolleyes:

Reactions: W19
About the Ads

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ah yes, those FM and Peds clinics are going to be a downright hive of medical activity. Really top notch clinical training to be had here that will really help those students get acclimated to rural LA seeing as most of their class won't be from LA. That's exactly how to fill the shortage, fill it with 3.0/500 types with no ties to the region in need. :rolleyes:
Essentially. And just ignore the fact that they have 10-15% attrition, lots of remediations, almost no one taking the usmle, and everyone matching into primary care. Top it off with the fact that half of them will go to Mi to do residency and then go back to their respective home states afterward.

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12

DocWinter

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Essentially. And just ignore the fact that they have 10-15% attrition, lots of remediations, almost no one taking the usmle, and everyone matching into primary care. Top it off with the fact that half of them will go to Mi to do residency and then go back to their respective home states afterward.
I'm with you on the remediation and poor attrition, those are real poor signs. But don't knock primary care fields, and please explain what's wrong with doing AOA residency or returning home? It's pretty commonplace to go elsewhere for your education and MI has some pretty impressive residencies

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I'm with you on the remediation and poor attrition, those are real poor signs. But don't knock primary care fields, and please explain what's wrong with doing AOA residency or returning home? It's pretty commonplace to go elsewhere for your education and MI has some pretty impressive residencies
Nothing wrong with primary care, but the issue with students returning home is that the premise behind the whole idea of the school is to help the physician needs in that area. That issue isn't being helped by admitting a 3.0/500 applicant from CA. If someone really wanted to help a state with a physician shortage then they would open up a state DO school like OSU. OSU has more residency spots than students and most of their class pursues PC residencies in OK and ends up practicing there because they admit mostly OK students. Now that is helping fill a need. WCU opening a private school in LA is not.

Reactions: user3 and DocWinter

DocWinter

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nothing wrong with primary care, but the issue with students returning home is that the premise behind the whole idea of the school is to help the physician needs in that area. That issue isn't being helped by admitting a 3.0/500 applicant from CA. If someone really wanted to help a state with a physician shortage then they would open up a state DO school like OSU. OSU has more residency spots than students and most of their class pursues PC residencies in OK and ends up practicing there because they admit mostly OK students. Now that is helping fill a need. WCU opening a private school in LA is not.
If they had IS/OOS tuition like MSU, TCOM, WV or several others that would certainly help. We've known for a whole tho that the mission statements to make new doctors for X state is far second to the dollar signs dancing...

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They go into PC due to poor performance, they end up MI because they're no residencies for them in LA that will likely take them, and then they go home which kills the point of attempting to address an a dif in physicians in LA.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know Dr Silberg.

God help them.

If this gets approved, then there will be DO schools in every state of the old Confederacy. LA has long been resistant to DOs.
What makes you say Louisiana is resistent to DOs? I actually agree, but I'm just curious what makes people besides me think that.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Historically resistant to allowing DOs to practice there.

What makes you say Louisiana is resistent to DOs? I actually agree, but I'm just curious what makes people besides me think that.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
He was also one of the people behind the abortive Milwaukee DO school.

He did a few of our 2nd year lectures. Not bad, but does he ever take that damn headset off?

About the Ads

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The proliferation of DO schools is scary!

They might treat DO like NP/PA in 10+ years if your institutions don't put a stop to that nonsense...

kenjixshadow

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2014
Totland
Status
Medical Student

They might treat DO like NP/PA in 10+ years if your institutions don't put a stop to that nonsense...
Who are they, the elitist MDs? Despite your claim, these DO students will still have to do 4 years of med school, passing all 3 boards (some will even do well on USMLE) + residency. Further, residency is when you are trained to become a doctor, not medical school. They won't be an attendings if they can't hack all of them. That is a short-sighted presumption to say DO will be treated like NP/PA. However, don't think that I am advocating for these expansions, lots of DOs here are agreeing that AOA/COCA is heading down on wrong path and they need to be restricted.

Reactions: Heol

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Aren't you at a carib school? I don't bring it up to be an ass, just that you shouldn't be so quick to cast stones in that glass house of yours.

Although we are in agreement, unbridled DO school accreditation is unsettling.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Aren't you at a carib school? I don't bring it up to be an ass, just that you shouldn't be so quick to cast stones in that glass house of yours.

Although we are in agreement, unbridled DO school accreditation is unsettling.
Low tier US MD... I would NEVER go to a carib school. I would even do PharmD before gambling with 300k+...

Reactions: sb247 and O Grady

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Who are they, the elitist MDs? Despite your claim, these DO students will still have to do 4 years of med school, passing all 3 boards (some will even do well on USMLE) + residency. Further, residency is when you are trained to become a doctor, not medical school. They won't be an attendings if they can't hack all of them. That is a short-sighted presumption to say DO will be treated like NP/PA. However, don't think that I am advocating for these expansions, lots of DOs here are agreeing that AOA/COCA is heading down on wrong path and they need to be restricted.
I have nothing against DO. I would have attended a DO school if it were not more expensive (80k+) than my low tier MD. I still think it was a mistake not attending that DO school. I am just worried about the proliferation of DO schools.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Low tier US MD... I would NEVER go to a carib school. I would even do PharmD before gambling with 300k+...
Oh my mistake. Yeah I briefly tossed around the idea of carib with my wife, but it was quickly decided DO is a more secure option. I do feel bad for IMGs who don't match though, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Reactions: hallowmann and W19
About the Ads

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh my mistake. Yeah I briefly tossed around the idea of carib with my wife, but it was quickly decided DO is a more secure option. I do feel bad for IMGs who don't match though, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
It was the right decision. All of the DO vs. MD in SDN is BS imho...

Last edited:
Reactions: IslandStyle808
Sep 16, 2014
WCU's perfect. Make sure they all go into primary care by selecting students and a university that will mean the students' board scores are uncompetitive for anything else.

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WCU's perfect. Make sure they all go into primary care by selecting students and a university that will mean the students' board scores are uncompetitive for anything else.
This is not an untrue statement. The push for us to just pass COMLEX and not take the USMLE is pretty hard.

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Want to talk a bit about your experiences at WCU?
I wouldnt mind answering any direct questions. I have to be careful, a few of the deans have warned us they are on the look out on the forums for anyone that may have a less than positive opinion about WCUCOM. Not sure how anonymous i am.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

kenjixshadow

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2014
Totland
Status
Medical Student
I wouldnt mind answering any direct questions. I have to be careful, a few of the deans have warned us they are on the look out on the forums for anyone that may have a less than positive opinion about WCUCOM. Not sure how anonymous i am.
Lol that alone tells me how ****ty your school is and it's not like SDN hasn't heard any negatives about it. After you graduate, please to feel free to write a review about WCU.

Reactions: BurntFlower

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lol that alone tells me how ****ty your school is and it's not like SDN hasn't heard any negatives about it. After you graduate, please to feel free to write a review about WCU.
No worries there I will be doing that.

Reactions: Giovanotto

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]

This gotta be a joke!

Flushot

10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When the merger of residencies complete in 2020, there won't be this haven of DO residencies to fall back on, which would be right around the time this school hits 2nd/3rd year I presume. What happens then? I mean, does the admin care or rather, do the applicants even care themselves at the tremendous risk they take by throwing money at this school? I feel like everyone who is in on these expansion projects is expecting a big payday and to split and run when things go sour.

That's pretty bold for them to throw down a gag order like this. For all the faults my school had, I don't think they cared what people said about them online. Well, maybe they didn't even consider it and never thought to say anything.

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This gotta be a joke!
I wish it was. Last year they found out who someone was and had a disciplinary hearing on the professionalism of the student's conduct while I know the student was ok in the end it led to the clause in our handbook about promoting and never bringing people to think ill of the school or the profession of osteopathy.

When the merger of residencies complete in 2020, there won't be this haven of DO residencies to fall back on, which would be right around the time this school hits 2nd/3rd year I presume. What happens then? I mean, does the admin care or rather, do the applicants even care themselves at the tremendous risk they take by throwing money at this school? I feel like everyone who is in on these expansion projects is expecting a big payday and to split and run when things go sour.

That's pretty bold for them to throw down a gag order like this. For all the faults my school had, I don't think they cared what people said about them online. Well, maybe they didn't even consider it and never thought to say anything.
Truth is the school and all the new ones that are popping up like crazy are all apart of this last grab for the cash. NOVA saw which way the winds are blowing and is opening an MD school. Two or three years after this school opens more people will find that they cant match into anything outside of primary care. Hell Carey is very proud of this. Eventually attendance will drop below levels the school can maintain and transfer the students to other schools. Main campus will not likely survive either. If the LCME doesnt step in the DO degree may die as well.

Reactions: Wjldenver

Wjldenver

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Status
Non-Student
COCA must go out
The proliferation of all of these new DO schools is a pure money grab and the losers will be a number of students who decided to obtain this educational credential. There is not an unlimited number of top students, so DO schools will see an academically weak in, academically weak out graduate. Eventually, more and more DO students will not successfully match into a specialty of their choice, and that will diminish the stature of the DO degree. DO schools, with the COCA's blessing, will become the 7-11's of the medical school world with one on every corner. It has about gotten to the point where I cannot recommend a DO degree to any student I run across in the health care industry. DO students certainly deserve better from the organization which manages DO school expansion.

Last edited:

Mehd School

7+ Year Member
May 2, 2012
West Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So what's the status on this? I have a relative that went to WCU and is doing residency in Louisiana and he had no idea about this.

Also, did WCU ever rebuild after that tornado?

12glaucoma34

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Very accurate. This pathetic excuse for opening more schools is entirely misleading by design. The only way to get physicians to stay in an area is to force them to by a variety of methods (scholarships, loan forgiveness) or only admitting students from the region. A student from the Southwest isn't likely to stay in eastern Kentucky (for example) if they have no ties to the region, that is just common sense.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So what's the status on this? I have a relative that went to WCU and is doing residency in Louisiana and he had no idea about this.

Also, did WCU ever rebuild after that tornado?
I think their rebuilding will take a legitimate while. But it effectively killed the plan to make a school in Louisiana as the program was clearly tight on money and likely room for administrative functions necessary for running a single school, let alone two.

Mehd School

7+ Year Member
May 2, 2012
West Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
>50% of the incoming students interested in surgery in coastal cities.
WCU has always favored students from the gulf region, and I doubt this will change anything. I have family down there, and there are a ton of people that can't get into LSU or Tulane but still want to be a physician in Louisiana. Seems like it could be a good fit under the right guidance.

I think their rebuilding will take a legitimate while. But it effectively killed the plan to make a school in Louisiana as the program was clearly tight on money and likely room for administrative functions necessary for running a single school, let alone two.
I was told by said family member that last year during one of the MS4 graduation events one of the deans spoke and encouraged everyone to donate to WCU-COM. Even the MS1-4's that would be donating loan money. How could a school with tuition like theirs have any sort of money trouble? It was apparently evident that money was tight even before the tornado.

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The rebuild is done and the school is fully up and running again. The Louisiana program is dead. NYCOM has taken up the interest in the program but this to isn't looking to good. Either way this will not be a WCU school.

About the Ads