Who's deferring next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginseng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic is probably on an old thread. But who's deferring next year, where from, and what are you going to do? I want to defer as well, but haven't had something concrete going for me for the upcoming year. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I requested and received permission to defer from Columbia. Dean Frantz there is actually quite supportive of people taking time off to do whatever they feel they need to do. I just said I wanted to work (teaching) for a year, something I've not really ever done as I've always been in school, even summers, and spent pretty much all of this past year on the application/interview process. So this will be my second year off. I just felt I needed a break before starting the grind all over again. Where have you been accepted? You might want to call them, and get the word on what their policy is regarding deferral before officially requesting one. That's what I did. Also the MSAR says whether or not a school will consider requests for deferrals.

is there a webpage that lists schools that accept deferrals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I know of, but according to the MSAR, most schools do. If you're wondering about a specific school, I'll look it up for you. :)

Hey-

Could you look up Ohio State for me, please???

Thanks!!!

Ohio State says they do consider requests for deferral.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SMW:
•Not that I know of, but according to the MSAR, most schools do. If you're wondering about a specific school, I'll look it up for you. :) •••••Thanks, SMW! Do you know anything about BU?

Boston does NOT consider deferral requests.

I'm deferring from Baylor until next year. I don't know their official policy, but I was accepted off the waitlist. However, I'm having a baby this fall and they don't grant any leave during the first semester so there really wasn't any other option.

So, I will be working at my current job until I have the baby, taking a nice long maternity leave, then going back to work in the spring. Maybe I'll take next summer off and have some fun.

Hi SMW,

You are really lucky to have that deferal--it sounds like a very important option for you, and for me. I have some unfinished business in the rest of my life I want to tie up before I go into my submarine for a few years...

Could you tell me what the book says about USF (University of South Florida)? Thanks a lot,

Roady

Welcome to SDN, yg. :) USF does consider requests for deferrments. I would still call and ask about the policy. When I called, I asked about the general policy, who exactly to address the request to, and how many people had asked for and how many had been granted deferrments for the past two years.

Thanks so much for your incredibly rapid and truly helpful reply; wish me luck, and enjoy your year!

Why would you even apply when you have an intention to defer? Do not waste your time now and apply the time when you are actually going to go to med school.

Because you're more in the groove for the application cyle, the closer you are to being in school. I'm deferring because I want to RELAX!!! I can't even imagine gearing up to apply now!!! :D