1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

who's going to PCOM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by sleepyhouse, Nov 27, 2002.

1. sleepyhouse

sleepyhouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everyone, I got my acceptance letter from PCOM last week, who else is gonna be going there next fall?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

I'd go there if I ever heard from them about an interview...:mad:

4. sleepyhouse

10+ Year Member

hey homersimpson, how long ago was your file complete? everything went really quick for me at PCOM, my file was only complete for about a week when i got an interview letter, and i got my acceptance letter exactly a week after my interview. i still havent heard anything from any other schools yet though. If its been a while maybe you should call and make sure they have everything. anyway, good luck man and i hope you hear from them soon

5. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    im with h0mer. Id love to go, but I need an interview first and stuff :)

I think my pre-med comitee letters finally went out on monday.

yesh

6. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

My stuff has been completely in since early september. I've called twice and was told both times my app was "under review". Yeah right...:mad:

7. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    but hey, at least you've gotten in somewhere right? was it you who got in at LECOM? and you got a lot more action from evcom than I think 95% of the applicants

8. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

yeah, sorry didn't mean to come off as a ungrateful jerk. Just kind of annoyed at the schools I haven't heard from.

BELIEVE ME, LIFE IS GOOOOD...

yes, LECOM and yes EV VCOM was awesome...

9. TraumaDR

TraumaDR Member
    10+ Year Member

How does PCOM contact you about an interview, snail mail or e mail?? I am very anxious to hear from them. I received my letter stating that my file was complete just before break started. thanks and good luck to everyone!!

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good old U.S. Postal Service.

11. sleepyhouse

10+ Year Member

yep, they contact you by US mail, i never got anything saying my application was complete though, thefirst i heardfrom them was theinterview letter. Anyone else hear anything new yet?

12. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I still haven't received my rejection letter (interviewed 10/31/01) so my fingers are still crossed!

13. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ussdfiant

I can talk to the admissions office if you want something in writing! :D

How are things at TU?

14. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The pace is killing me, but other than that...

Yeah, walk over to the fishbowl and tell Deb Erdner that I am waiting for my "official" reply!

15. williestyle81

williestyle81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted to pcom and am overjoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! however, i was wondering if you pay the $250 tuition deposit is just to hold your spot? or does it mean you must matriculate at pcom ? i'm still waiting to hear from 8 other schools... when do i have to give a final decision to pcom? ( i'm not talking about the dec. 14th tuition deadline, but the final final decision)
    thanx
    EMW

16. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

17. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pay the $250.00 and your spot is here.

If you decide not to attend, you lose the $250.00.

18. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

Does anyone know the amount of hours spent in lecture each day at PCOM? thanx

EMW

19. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

20. metsn02

metsn02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, I'm only in my second semester as a first year, so I can only comment on what I have seen so far. In my opinion the first semester was much more challenging than this semester. First semester ran from early August through the first week of November. In that period of time you have Anatomy (which includes Gross, Human Development, and Radiology), Cell and Tissue (essentially cell biology and histology), OMM, and Primary Care Skills. There were lectures and labs for each course making for alot of time spent at school. Lectures generally ran from 8:00 AM to around 11:00 or 12:00 (varied depending on the day) and then their were combinations of labs and possibly more lectures after lunch. Gross Anatomy lab was four times per week at approximately 3 hours (I say approximate because my group always always stayed at least a half hour later), Histology lab was once per week for 3 hours, OMM lab was 1 and a half hours once per week, and Primary Care Skills was about one hour every other week. Add to this that you will most likely be coming back on weekends to review the week's work in gross lab and you have what amounts to a roller coaster ride first semester. If you can hold on and survive this, you will definitely be rewarded during the second semester.

Second semester incorporates Cell and Tissue part II (which is an integration of pharmacology, biochemistry, pathology, immunology, and microbiology), OMM, and Primary Care Skills part II. The number of lecture hours are somewhat increased, however the amount of time spent in labs is significantly reduced, allowing you more time to study on your own.

My advice, have alot of fun over the next couple of months and forget about med school until like late July. Your lives will change dramatically once you hit that first semester so just hang on and you will be rewarded come second semester. Bottomline, I came 2,000 miles to go to school here and I have no doubt that the rigors I am currently enduring will pay off on the wards as a 3rd and 4th year med student.

Hope this helps

21. williestyle81

7+ Year Member

thanx so much metsn02,

wow...2,000 miles... where are you from?!?!?:)