Who's Going to Ros Franklin this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tkehinde

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I might start trying to meet people headed for North Chicago so make yourselves known.
What are you doing to prepare, where do you plan to live etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh Yeah and where are you coming from.
Me: Miami

Tkehinde said:
Oh Yeah and where are you coming from.
Me: Miami
i'll probably go ...

Anyone from Cal going to Finch this fall? I would like to get to know some

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a maybe...waitlist at MCW and just interviewed at Tulane. but i thought I'd throw my name in anyway.

not sure... yet. but their match list this year is muy impressive! im going to take a second look though on march 28th!

faradayampere said:
i'll probably go ...

Anyone from Cal going to Finch this fall? I would like to get to know some

I might be going- just still waiting on a few schools. I'm from Cali also- graduated from UCI.

Tkehinde said:
Figured I might start trying to meet people headed for North Chicago so make yourselves known.
What are you doing to prepare, where do you plan to live etc.

Hey! I am also a UCB grad and will probably be at RF starting July. I'm excited that someone finally posted something b/c I was interested in talking to other people thinking of going. Anyone planning on applying to stay in the dorms at RF or is it apartments for all? Any ideas of the best areas to look for housing if I was to look for an apartment? Do you guys think a car is really needed?

Freakingzooming said:
not sure... yet. but their match list this year is muy impressive! im going to take a second look though on march 28th!

Is that an official day for second look? Or are you just going on your own?

Last edited:
wow, their match list is pretty impressive; i was just accepted but bummed i wasnt selected for the tuition scholarship which made my decision not to attend quite a bit easier

Haybrant said:
wow, their match list is pretty impressive; i was just accepted but bummed i wasnt selected for the tuition scholarship which made my decision not to attend quite a bit easier

What tuition scholarship? When did you apply for this scholarship?
I wanna apply!!
What do I do. :scared: :scared:
Also, where do you guys get the residency matching info from?

okay, a few questions...

What tuition scholarship? Is that for the extra smart/exta-achieving people only?

Does RFU/CMS require parental info for school-based aid?

Is March 28 an official 2nd look day? If so, why didn't I hear about it?

Have they cashed your $100 check yet? Mine was sent at the end of Feb, but it's not cashed yet. Makes me worry that they didn't get it.

Thanks everyone.

I am from california too and might be going as well. :) I think 50% of their class is from california. Just waiting on a few schools before I decide for sure. does anyone know anything about their probation status? in the worst case scenario if they don't come off probation and lose their LCME status, what happens to the students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tkehinde said:
What tuition scholarship? When did you apply for this scholarship?
I wanna apply!!
What do I do. :scared: :scared:
Also, where do you guys get the residency matching info from?

You DON'T apply for the merit scholarship. They invited a few applicants for scholarship interviews for the last two weeks of Feb. These interview dates were reserved for the potential scholarship students only.

They were only planning on giving away one $20K scholarship or two $10K scholarships. If you weren't invited for the scholarship interview, then I don't think you qualified for their merit scholarships.

I'm not sure if there are any non-merit based scholarship offers out there though.

i hear RF is the one of the most expensive med schools? second in the nation at $60K/year?

echinoderm said:
i hear RF is the one of the most expensive med schools? second in the nation at $60K/year?

Actually, they are currently on a 5 year tuition freeze and the tuition is at ~37k per year. This means that for the next 5 years at RF, the tuition will not increase (which is less what can be said for many other private schools. 37k is less than other places like Tufts, BU, Albany, Drexel, and many other private schools. Plus it seems like they attempt to give some sort of scholarship to ~50% of their incoming class (given most of these scholarship amounts are most likely quite small). Anyone have any other feedback on this?

MD in 2009 said:
You DON'T apply for the merit scholarship. They invited a few applicants for scholarship interviews for the last two weeks of Feb. These interview dates were reserved for the potential scholarship students only.

They were only planning on giving away one $20K scholarship or two $10K scholarships. If you weren't invited for the scholarship interview, then I don't think you qualified for their merit scholarships.

I'm not sure if there are any non-merit based scholarship offers out there though.

yah, sorry about the confusion; the above poster has it right. Did you get the scholarship mdin09? Im surprised they only offer 3, and even then 10K isnt too enticing when compared to the total costs; the financial aide at some schools is even better than that. They have a good match list to tout but they need to do a better job on the scholarship front.

I personally thought the anatomy lab at RF was pretty sweet! They had mobile flat screen tv's on which a professor could project a good dissection. I thought that was pretty cool! The facilities there seemed so new too!

While the accreditation probation is a little scary, I still believe that RF would be a great school to attend. I actually emailed the LCME, which is the group that determines accreditation, and the person who replied told me that although they could not release any information in relation to RF's case, medical schools very rarely ever lose their accreditation. Basically RF is going to be fine; you have to figure so since they are attending to the items that the LCME pointed out they wanted fixed. Plus, doing rotations in Chicago would be a great academic, and non-academic experience. While I am still looking at my possible options at a few other schools, I could definitely see myself in North Chicago at the end of this July. What are your guys thoughts on RF's Pros, Cons, and its match up vs other private schools? Anyone else applying to Drexel as well? Albany? Temple?

Calizona said:
I personally thought the anatomy lab at RF was pretty sweet! They had mobile flat screen tv's on which a professor could project a good dissection. I thought that was pretty cool! The facilities there seemed so new too!

While the accreditation probation is a little scary, I still believe that RF would be a great school to attend. I actually emailed the LCME, which is the group that determines accreditation, and the person who replied told me that although they could not release any information in relation to RF's case, medical schools very rarely ever lose their accreditation. Basically RF is going to be fine; you have to figure so since they are attending to the items that the LCME pointed out they wanted fixed. Plus, doing rotations in Chicago would be a great academic, and non-academic experience. While I am still looking at my possible options at a few other schools, I could definitely see myself in North Chicago at the end of this July. What are your guys thoughts on RF's Pros, Cons, and its match up vs other private schools? Anyone else applying to Drexel as well? Albany? Temple?
about the probation thing, I remember that the dean said we are not going to be affected (not sure if i remember correctly). If they lose accreditation, the entering class of 2006 will be affected, not us. Because when we are accepted, they are still accredited. Anyone remember this? If i'm wrong, please correct me.

MD in 2009 said:
Is that an official day for second look? Or are you just going on your own?

That's an unofficial second look. Just going with parentals to look at dorms and the campus more. I was there when it snowed on Jan 5th for my interview so I drove in and drove out.

Match list is on the thread sticky called "Residency list for medical schools" on the pre-allopathic forum.

I don't think the dean quite said something like that about the accrediation issue (2006 would get the shaft not us) but I wouldn't worry about them losing accrediation. They took it seriously as a wake up call and many schools have gotten this probationary status. I think it's more of a threat to improve the situation and I like how the dean actually sat down with us to explain the situation out.

Calizona said:

I loved RF when I was there. I actually got a chance to spend about 3-4 days in chicago before my interview and I really loved it, I could definately see myself going there. I am just a little concerned about the probation thing. I have an interview at drexel next week and I am planning to go. I think the LCME have to review RF again in may. That's what it says in their website so hopefully we should get some sort of clue. Anyone tried calling their admissions office?

Im from chicago and will be attending RF as a choice over other schools. Its really a great school. Expensive yes, but so is many, many of the other schools many consider. Their matches are great. I talked to a current medical school and they were informed that the school would be off complete probation in a few months, before the summer. The rotation sites are a great diverse experience from what I have witnessed with my brother in law and others. I think its going to be a great education and we will come out doing very well.

Haybrant said:
yah, sorry about the confusion; the above poster has it right. Did you get the scholarship mdin09? Im surprised they only offer 3, and even then 10K isnt too enticing when compared to the total costs; the financial aide at some schools is even better than that. They have a good match list to tout but they need to do a better job on the scholarship front.

Nope, didn't get it. But, I got a letter along with my acceptance telling me that if someone with a scholarship withdraws, I would be considered again for the scholarship. I'm pretty sure you got the same letter though.

Either way, I'll just wait for the rest of my fin aid packages to come through before making a decision.

Basically, the accredidation issue is something we shouldn't even be worried about. If by chance, the school, or any school, for that matter lost its accredidation, current students would be transferred to other med schools. According to the dean from my interview day, the students that WOULD be affected would be the next class. In other words, if you got accepted to the school, but the school lost its accredidation before you matriculated, you would be outta luck. I think there's some sort of deadline before it would be SOL, but I'm not sure. But the dean made it clear to us that we shouldn't even worry about it, and it sounded like it wasn't even possible to lose accredidation this year, it would be later.

i applied for the university apartments, or whatever they're called...i'm thinking if i am given one of those, i'll just live there...if not, i'll worry about finding a place.

Calizona said:
Hey! I am also a UCB grad and will probably be at RF starting July. I'm excited that someone finally posted something b/c I was interested in talking to other people thinking of going. Anyone planning on applying to stay in the dorms at RF or is it apartments for all? Any ideas of the best areas to look for housing if I was to look for an apartment? Do you guys think a car is really needed?

I also apply for on-campus housing. I'm not sure ... but I think I would like to have a car.

faradayampere said:
I also apply for on-campus housing. I'm not sure ... but I think I would like to have a car.

For those of you from out of town, you should know that you don't HAVE to live in North Chicago. If you wanted, you could live downtown and take the commuter rail to school every day (there's a shuttle bus service to/from the Lake Bluff train station). Highland Park is a decent choice too, and it's only 20 minutes from campus. The only reason to live near/on campus is camraderie (actually, that's a very good reason). I felt pretty disconnected from the world for my first two years of med school (I lived at Northern Crossing in Waukegan), but in retrospect that may have been good for my study habits.

Congrats to those who got in, it really is a great school that's only getting better. The faculty and administration are warm, caring people, you WILL learn to be a good clinician, and opportunities abound for research if you need publications on your resume. The third/fourth year experience is outstanding. Consider doing rotations at the most difficult sites, you will be rewarded with an excellent education. Definitely do something at Cook County; you'll get lots of procedures there. The Sinai ER is good for procedures as well. The match list speaks well of the school. If you're good, and you work hard, you can match almost anywhere you want.

Hi there,

I'm a 27 year old non-trad who applied to 8 schools for '05 and didn't get in. I am re-applying this summer for fall '06. My stats are: overall GPA (art history): 3.45. Post-bacc science: 3.7. MCAT (August '04) 25Q. Re-taking April MCAT. Work experience in the O.R. this year for my glide year.

Do you think I have a shot at R.F.? I didn't apply there this cycle. I so badly want to be a doctor! I'd love to go there!

faradayampere said:

I received my acceptance packet ~10 days ago and sent my confirmation back with a deposit that same day. However, I haven't received any additional information regarding housing. Did you guys just look online regarding how to apply for on-campus housing, or did you get information via mail or email?? If so, how long did it take for them to send you this information?

the housing application came separately, after the acceptance, but there's no point in you waiting to fill it out - they send a paper application but also say that the same thing is online...

just go to www.rosalindfranklin.edu/housing and fill it out.

on that website, click on "prospective residents and guests" and then "application and contracting process 2005-2006"

Calizona said:
I received my acceptance packet ~10 days ago and sent my confirmation back with a deposit that same day. However, I haven't received any additional information regarding housing. Did you guys just look online regarding how to apply for on-campus housing, or did you get information via mail or email?? If so, how long did it take for them to send you this information?

Wdup yall. I got to UCI rite now, and most likely will attend chicago med next year. I'm pretty excited/happy. I luv cali tho!!! aaaaH!!!!! haha. yea, i applied for the dorms, and hopefully i'll get in. You guys know if there's a gym around? place to workout, and play indoor basketball? well, tell me when there's an official 2nd look guys!

brotherbloat said:
Hi there,

I'm a 27 year old non-trad who applied to 8 schools for '05 and didn't get in. I am re-applying this summer for fall '06. My stats are: overall GPA (art history): 3.45. Post-bacc science: 3.7. MCAT (August '04) 25Q. Re-taking April MCAT. Work experience in the O.R. this year for my glide year.

Do you think I have a shot at R.F.? I didn't apply there this cycle. I so badly want to be a doctor! I'd love to go there!

I think it is difficult to tell anyone's situation and their chances of getting into any particular med school. I have heard from quite a few people who applied who had decent numbers and didn't get an interview to RF. The whole process is quite random. I believe the average MCAT for R.F. matriculants in 2004 was ~29. Since I have no idea about each part of your application I cannot be exactly sure your chances.

I do support your actions to retake the MCAT and say you should try to boost your score and reapply. Your work experience in the O.R. will support your interest in medicine so that will be a plus to your app for next year as well. I also recommend checking out the reapplicant forum to get some more good tips. Many people there are in the same boat of figuring out what they would like to do in the next year to beef up their applications. Good luck with everything!

anyone tried to do financial aid for RF yet? It said online that we should wait to have some confirmation with the office of admissions before we can start. However, I have not received anything yet?? Anyone knows this?

brotherbloat said:
Hi there,

I agree with Calizona. The process is pretty random, and it's hard to tell if you wil get an interview/acceptance from a particular school.

You definitely have good clinical experience. Just try to boost up your MCAT score a bit. If possible, try to have some research experience as well. Definitely try to get LORs from people who know you well (i.e.from O.R. people). And, write a good personal statement. And apply early

Good luck

do you mean the Stafford loan and ALP application stuff? i already filled those out and submitted them to RF....i wasn't aware that we had to wait...it doesn't hurt to turn the forms in.

i just went to the fin aid website and followed the instructions - go to rosalindfranklin.edu and you can find financial aid under the "student services" drop down menu at the top.....then "info for incoming students" etc etc...

faradayampere said:
anyone tried to do financial aid for RF yet? It said online that we should wait to have some confirmation with the office of admissions before we can start. However, I have not received anything yet?? Anyone knows this?

Hi, I'll be attending ros. franklin this summer (through the prematriculation program). which means that I start anatomy in june (intense) and when the fall starts, I'll be taking biochemistry and neuroscience. can't wait to meet you all.

borisd said:
Hi, I'll be attending ros. franklin this summer (through the prematriculation program). which means that I start anatomy in june (intense) and when the fall starts, I'll be taking biochemistry and neuroscience. can't wait to meet you all.

I didn't know ros franklin had a pre matriculation program. I could have sworn I asked and they told me no.
How did you get into the program?
Is it open to anyone to participate?
Pls advise.

anyone know when the next adcom meeting is? how often do people generally send in "update letters"? as needed? monthly?

for post-interview people, did you get accepted after the monthly adcom meeting that immediately followed your interview? i ask because my application was either deferred or not looked at entirely at the last adcom meeting..

thanks.

when i asked how admissions works, this is what they told me: after your interview, they will review your application at the next monthly meeting (i believe that's the 15th of the month)....if you get accepted, they let you know right then (my letter was postmarked on the 16th of the month)....if not, then they just hold on to your app and review it again at the next meeting...etc etc....until you either get accepted or get on the official waitlist.

echinoderm said:
anyone know when the next adcom meeting is? how often do people generally send in "update letters"? as needed? monthly?

for post-interview people, did you get accepted after the monthly adcom meeting that immediately followed your interview? i ask because my application was either deferred or not looked at entirely at the last adcom meeting..

thanks.

I'll be there...........
I'm from the Chi.

What are you guys doing for housing.
Will you be leaving "on campus" or in individual apts close to the school.
The "on campus" housing seems so expensive and I don't know why.
Is there something that they provide and other regular apts don't? Am I missing something?
I will be bringing my own car so I don't care if where I live is not across the street from the school.
Advise please.

has anyone who has applied for on-campus apartments gotten an offer yet? they said starting the week of April 4th, so just wondering if people have gotten word back yet....i'm still waiting.

sunUCB said:
has anyone who has applied for on-campus apartments gotten an offer yet? they said starting the week of April 4th, so just wondering if people have gotten word back yet....i'm still waiting.
i'm still waiting ... they probably mail out the contratcs in order of the options??

faradayampere said:
i'm still waiting ... they probably mail out the contratcs in order of the options??

I called student housing earlier this week and the lady said that they were not mailed out yet but she was planning on mailing the contracts either on Friday (the 15th) or next week.

Has anyone actually been inside any of these apartments?
If so, is it nice, big or does it just look like a dorm room?

I haven't actually seen the rooms, but the pictures online look nice....go to the RF website and go to Student Services----> Student Housing. And from there, they have a link to pictures.

Tkehinde said:
Has anyone actually been inside any of these apartments?
If so, is it nice, big or does it just look like a dorm room?

anyone have an idea about what is going on with their probation status? I know they are having a review from may 1-5 but I was just wondering if anyone called the office about when they will know they are officially off probation ?

malumd2b said:
Im from chicago and will be attending RF as a choice over other schools. Its really a great school. Expensive yes, but so is many, many of the other schools many consider. Their matches are great. I talked to a current medical school and they were informed that the school would be off complete probation in a few months, before the summer. The rotation sites are a great diverse experience from what I have witnessed with my brother in law and others. I think its going to be a great education and we will come out doing very well.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but is english your first language?