who's going to UCSF ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henna

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know how many of you are planning to go or have already joined UCSF.

I got a few questions here..

Are you looking into shared housing or studio ?

What's the best way to go about getting or looking for accommodation ?

Anyone know the closest neighbourhood around UCSF ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, are you sure you are going to UCSF? I have a friend who is still waiting for the result from there. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey perplexed,

i am 100% sure i will be attending ucsf this fall. :clap: :clap: :clap:

as for housing, i am looking for a studio or one bedroom apartment in or around campus. ucsf is located in the sunset district. i have been told that the following two sites will be helpful in looking for a potential place:
craigslist.com
renttech.com

since i am on the east coast, i will be flying out late june-early july to physically look for a place. good luck! and hopefully we'll be classmates, as i am unsure whether or not you plan on attending!
:)

I'll also be attending UCSF this fall! I live about 40 minutes from the city and have spent the last few weekends checking out housing options. The good news is, rents seem to be decreasing...and offering things like "No rent until May"!!! Here's a good map that will help you out with districts: <a href="http://www.metrorent.com/sanfrancisco.cfm?" target="_blank">http://www.metrorent.com/sanfrancisco.cfm?</a>
The school is located more in the "Inner Sunset"/"Cole Valley". Hope this helps!

Loki did you have a deposit at Penn? if u did can u please tell them u're not going and to let me have your spot :D

I will be attending UCSF next year as well. I am looking for a studio near the campus in the Inner Sunset District

Sorry...can't help ya out. I didn't have a deposit down at Penn. Good luck! :)

:clap: Thank you all for your replies, for a while there I was like ...Man ! no one is going to UCSF ... :confused:

Congratulations to you all on the acceptances..& thnx for the info...
Reena,
Thnx for all the info. I doubt we'll be classmates as I will be joining the advanced standing program. But we sure will be in UCSF :clap: I haven't started looking for the apt's yet .. Iam really new to this. Hopefully I'll get a good apt by June. I still haven't decided wether to take up a studio or go into shared housing.

Loki2,
I was just wonderding , if its just a 40 min commute , why are you looking for housing , is that something to do with SF traffic in the morning.. Iam kinda naive when it comes to all this ..so Iam sorry if this came out looking stupid.... :oops:
Bruin2k, Hey , if you find any apt available for rent for this year do let us know.. :wink:

Did any of you apply for on campus housing ? How diffcult/ easy is it to get housing there ?

Star girl, Good luck to you . Hope you hear from UPENN soon . And thnx for all you help previously ...( A while back ) that really helped so thnx again.

Ster.....
Who is that person???????? Why didn't you tell me before ????? :confused: :wink:

So I'm 95% sure that I'll be going to UCSF... sounds like there are a few out-of-staters here... you guys will love San Fracisco.. I was sold on the city first time out in 95 when I was visiting Stanford (which is fairly nearby -- 50 min). If you guys fly in to check out apartments, let me know if you need a guide in the bay area! :)

Hey guys! I will be going to ucsf next year as well. I applied for student housing, but I heard the chances of getting housing are about slim to none. Plus you have to share a bedroom, so I'm still not sure if I'd want to do it. I think I'll start looking for a studio in June... school doesn't start until late August, so I think that should be enough time. Does anyone know how difficult it is to find housing right by the campus?

HI,
In some of the post I've read so far , ppl have said they'll be joining school next year ...are you talking about 2003 or the coming academic year ( ie 2001 july for most of you ). :confused: :confused:

perplexed,

we're talking about the upcoming fall (late august of 2002). :wink:

renna

Members don't see this ad :)
Lin, I was told to be aware that housing around campus, while convenient, presents a serious issue with parking. The proximity to the school also means that there's a lot of metered parking.

I was told that as long as you live near some public transit line, that living a few miles away from the school is still convenient.

Anyone looking for a roommate at UCSF? :)

I will also be joining the class of 2006 at UCSF. As far as housing, I'm still looking for one near school...I guess as long as it's in Sunset district and close to the N-line (it takes you straight to school), I'm okay with it. Also, I've been checking up on some listings of available apartments and I've seen quiet a few near the area...Does anyone know when we start school?????

hey caligirl,

if you look at the ucsf school of dentistry bullentin they gave you during your interview (it is also available on-line), there is an academic calender available for 2001-2002. orientation began for last year's entering class the last week of august, so i would assume it would start around the same time for this year as well.

i can't wait to meet all of you!

reena

Reena, I look forward to meeting all of you too, although I take it that we'll all be identified with our real names once school starts. It could take awhile before we figure out who Caligirl or Lin, and others really are...

Though, I take it you *are* reena? :)

HI guys,
I was just going thru web sites for rooms/apt for rent etc..But Iam not sure which areas to look for . Other than inner sunset, which are the other areas closer to UCSF , any idea ?

Between ,
Outer sunset, inner Richmond, pacific heights, van Ness which is the closest ?

Thnx !

•••quote:•••Originally posted by reena:
•perplexed,

we're talking about the upcoming fall (late august of 2002). :wink:

renna•••••Hehe....Ok ..That clears up many doubts I had ... :D
Thnx.

(leland) stanford,

you're absolutely right, "reena" doesn't stray too far from my given name. i'll let you figure it out during orientation, while i harass others with which undergraduate institution they attended. :wink:

hey stanford fencer, I won't be bringing my car with me to UCSF, so I guess parking won't be a big deal for me. Are any of you guys planning on bringing a car with you? I heard that parking at UCSF is close to impossible, and for the most part, it's like that in SF in general. Is rent for an apt closer to campus more expensive than if you live farther away? And did any of you guys sign up for student housing at the Turk St. apartments?

Ster.....
Who is that person???????? Why didn't you tell me before ????? :confused: :wink: [/QB][/QUOTE]

Perplexed, Please check MP!

I am definitely bringing my car since I'm only moving up from Stanford, which is very nearby. I heard that rent gets better once you are beyond 10th avenue (10 min. walk to UCSF). The bay area has a lot to offer, and so the car will be useful. :)

guys!

Try to stay near N judah line, the damned thing never runs on time, but it's better than any thing else ucsf has to offer. Or stay within walking distance, from 14th to 2nd, as the campus is right on 2nd. I don't think that u guys should stay all the way to sunset. It's far and foggy, very, very foggy and it won't be good for u guys in the winter, especially when you have to take the bus and get home late. The campus has a housing web site, so check it out.
Any more question, please post
T

tinker bell ,
Thanks a lot .... :) That's some valuable info you gave us. ( Makes my search much more contained).
Thank youuuuu.