Who's going to Yale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bchengreat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is planning to go to Yale for MPH???? and if you don't mind can you post your stats??? thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm accepted to Health Policy.

Don't know if I'm going yet (need to hear back from everyone else before I make that decision) but they are definitely under consideration.

3.5+ GPA from an Ivy
1360 GRE
Good recs and solid statement
Lots of public/global health extra circulars.

Last edited:
I am also accepted for Health Policy. Ditto the waiting to hear... crossing my fingers that I'll get into Columbia and then it's going to be a tough choice between the two.

Stats:
GPA: 3.7 (Georgetown)
GRE
Verbal: 710
Quant: 630
Writing: 5.0

No real PH experience, but good statement and recs.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your timeline for hearing back from Yale?

What was your timeline for hearing back from Yale?

I designated right before Christmas and heard back the first week of Feb.

The holidays may have gummed up the process a bit so I'd say based on my experience and some others i've seen u needa give Yale about a month, maybe with an extra week or so.

I think my stuff ended up being all completed back early December (like the 4th) and I JUST got notification about acceptance yesterday. It still depends on where else I hear from (because I'm still waiting on UW which is one of my top choices).

I got in for Chronic Disease Epi

Stats
3.4 GPA (UCLA) - Bio/Poli Sci
Research in Conservation and Pathology and Periodontics
Volunteer and ran hospital organization concerning patient care
Did research abroad in Africa

If anyone hears back from UW let me know! I'm starting to get anxious since I know one person on these forums has already heard...

I designated December 12th and heard back Jan 27th.

Accepted for Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases with Global Health Concentration. Applied early November, accepted early January. I agree with a previous poster that turnaround time seems to be quicker now that the holidays are past.

GPA 3.7
GRE 1240
substantial experience with international public health orgs in policy depts
work in Kenya

i also got into Yale SPH for Health Policy and global health. I can't decide where to go as I also got into the Global Health Policy program at GWU and the International Health program at BU. I've been talking to a few students at Yale who seem to love the program, and Yale's administrators have contacted me like a billion times telling me they are there to answer questions, which is more than I can say for GWU and BU. I'm waiting on financial aid and crossing fingers for merit- and need-based...but it's still going to be a tough choice, because global health is really important to me and I'm finding it hard to gauge the strength of Yale's GH concentration since it's so new. thoughts? BU, GWU or Yale?

limetree,

I am having the same dilemma with respect to the GH concentration at Yale. Given that it is so new it is really hard to gauge the opportunities currently available for students. The only thing I can really offer is what I learned from my designated Yale question answering student (btw, incredibly helpful). From what I gather, there are a few international opportunities that are already set up for students (presumably based on the pursuits of past students who have interned and opened the door for new students). On the other hand, it seems that many students are having to be proactive and obtain internships by themselves or through the contacts of faculty.

In my view, the upside to the more "proactive" approach is that I know I will intern with an organization or research group based on EXACTLY what I want to do. In other words, I feel like if all of the opportunities were laid out in front of me for the taking (IE: Emory), I may just settle for something because I didn't have to put in any effort to get the position.

On another note, I am definitely attending the Yale visit day. Anyone else out there thinking of going?

Just thought I'd toss myself out there as a resource if anybody has questions or concerns. I'm a PhD student, so I'm not exactly the same as the MPHers, but I have some knowledge about most things SPH.

limetree,

I am having the same dilemma with respect to the GH concentration at Yale. Given that it is so new it is really hard to gauge the opportunities currently available for students. The only thing I can really offer is what I learned from my designated Yale question answering student (btw, incredibly helpful). From what I gather, there are a few international opportunities that are already set up for students (presumably based on the pursuits of past students who have interned and opened the door for new students). On the other hand, it seems that many students are having to be proactive and obtain internships by themselves or through the contacts of faculty.

In my view, the upside to the more "proactive" approach is that I know I will intern with an organization or research group based on EXACTLY what I want to do. In other words, I feel like if all of the opportunities were laid out in front of me for the taking (IE: Emory), I may just settle for something because I didn't have to put in any effort to get the position.

On another note, I am definitely attending the Yale visit day. Anyone else out there thinking of going?

I'll almost certainly be there.

Thanks Stories.

I guess the only question I can think of that you may be the best person to answer is: What is the perception of the GH concentration outside the YSPH? From what I gather, people know either A) the concentration is new, or B) well, there is no B.

The reason I ask is because when you get a response from faculty or students, the GH concentration is always "fantastic and full of opportunities" (which I am sure it is). Obviously, it is no Emory or Tulane...but I feel like it shouldn't be because it is more supplementary/complementary rather than an established primary focus. Does it sound like I am getting the correct gist?

Anyway, feel free to add anything you feel would be beneficial to the conversation (sorry, I don't really have any other specific questions).

Anyone else making it to the Yale visit day? Thanks!

Thanks Stories.

I guess the only question I can think of that you may be the best person to answer is: What is the perception of the GH concentration outside the YSPH? From what I gather, people know either A) the concentration is new, or B) well, there is no B.

The reason I ask is because when you get a response from faculty or students, the GH concentration is always "fantastic and full of opportunities" (which I am sure it is). Obviously, it is no Emory or Tulane...but I feel like it shouldn't be because it is more supplementary/complementary rather than an established primary focus. Does it sound like I am getting the correct gist?!

Well, the GH concentration isn't so "new" as it has just been reorganized a bit. Previously, GH used to be a full department on its own (like CDE, EMD, or HPA), but the administration decided that GH would be better coupled within every department. So what they essentially did was allow anyone in any department to add a global health focus to their base department. The previous foundation is still all there, but now, instead of having students graduate with a degree in global health (which in it by itself probably isn't as skills-oriented as other departments), you'll have a degree in CDE or HPA with a GH focus, which I honestly believe is a service to all students.

I had friends who came out of BU's International Health program who yearned for more tangible skills once they graduate from the MPH in IH. Because at BU, IH students didn't have to take nearly as many rigorous epi methods, biostats, program development/assessment as other departments did.

I think the reason why so many faculty and students rave about the GH concentration is because Yale has such a strong international presence. Every department (EHS and EMD, in particular, both have a boat load) has a ton of international research going on, and I would be shocked if Yale's international presence was significantly less than other schools.

I'll almost certainly be there.

:thumbup:

Also, thanks for the insight and clarification Stories. I am beginning to understand how useful the epi methods will be in the future and I think that is one of the reasons I was drawn to the EMD program at Yale. From what I have gathered on SDN and direct from an MPH friend who was in a purely global health track, it seems that many students are not academically challenged in such a program due to the lack of quantitative/biostat classes that, say, an EPI program offers. I could really see myself getting lazy without a challenge and that is the last thing I would want if I was shelling out god knows how much for the degree :oops: Its seems something like the EMD/GH concentration is the best of both worlds (IMO). A little of column A, and a little of column B per say. ;)

Last edited: