who's hospital is one in ER show?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm withdrawing my application from all Chicago schools and just curious what I'm losing :)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well, really it isn't any one school's hospital -- it's a set on a lot in Hollywood.

But seriously, it is referred to as the "County" hospital on the show, so if there is a Chicago General Hospital, that would be the one that is most closely represented. But I know nothing about Chicago, so someone else will have to help.

Based on Cook County Hospital located between UIC and Rush's campuses, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's Cook County Hospital.

yup, ER's 'county general' is based on cook county hospital, which is affiliated with UIC and rush.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Nikki:
•Sometimes they're in Chicago cause they use the el•••••yeah, apparently they come to chicago several times a year to get some 'chicago shots' but film the rest on a set in CA. there are ER cast member sightings from time to time, although i can't say that i've seen any of them.

Its supposed to be Cook County hospital but looks nothing like the ER there. That hospital has students from Chicago Medical School rotating through as well. The current hospital is one of the oldest, most run down hospitals I have seen. The ER program is top notch. They will be moving into a brand new facility within the next year. I saw it from the outside and it looks beautiful. I suspect the same lack of ancillary services and nursing will continue though.

me and a couple friends were extras on the show a couple years back, and it's definitely a full hospital set out in los angeles - they even built an L stop in the back lot along with that basketball court, and they showed us the snow blowers they have - so some of the outdoor stuff is in l.a. too :)

A good friend of mine is a reoccuring guest star on this particular show. I can certainly confirm that the show does NOT take place in Chicago, but rather in an LA backlot at the Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, CA. Yes...the show is on NBC, but it is made by AOL/Time Warner Bros. and then sold to NBC on a per-episode basis.

Although there is an EL stop on the lot to shoot scenes nearby the hospital, the cast and crew (some of them--depending on the upcoming episodes) occasionally travels to Chicago (on the order of 2-4 times per season) to shoot scenes in Chicago in order to add realism to the show.

For example, when Mark Greene is running along lake Michigan with snow falling in the background, it IS chicago (perhaps not surprisingly). BUT...when they're in the snow, unloading someone from an ambulance at the ER main entrance, it is most definitely Burbank. Doesn't matter if its eighty degrees out, they still have to put on jackets and act as though it were cold.

Ever wonder why those snow flakes never dissolve but rather suddenly disappear in the next scene? Its because they're potato flakes!

Well...the old General Hospital show was based on LA County/USC hospital.

I think some of the ER residents from Northwestern also have to do a few rotations at Cook County. That's what one of the NU residents that I work with was telling me anyway.

really? i wasn't aware that NUMS had any affiliation with cook county whatsoever. maybe they rotated there as elective rotations???

apparently i went to college with sharif atkins, the new med student on the show. i didn't know him but he was a friend of a friend....