Who's in? post to help others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Pedo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the MD's post and thought their topic on "giving back" was helpful. I was hoping some of the members who have been accepted somewhere would share their HONEST stats----so others could see where they stand or what type of marks they need to make the cut. Feel free to tell your story and stats. I'll start:

1)Undergrad school
2)GPA/Major
3)DAT/PAT
4)Extracurriculars
5)School accepted (list if you want)
6)Advice

1)Minn. State and U of Iowa
2)3.6 overall 3.5 Science/Biology and Psychology
3)19/18
4)Started a business---sold after 4 yrs.
Numerous volunteer work.
5)U of Iowa dental school
6)Start your application early! It will allow adequate time to correct any mistakes you might find with your AADSAS application. Get familiar with the computerized format of the DAT--whether through Kaplan or some CD-ROM. Definitely reduces stress. Good luck to all. If you have specific questions post them and I (or some other members) will try to answer them!

Members don't see this ad.

1)Baylor University
2)3.35 overall and science/Biology major
3)20/20
4)Worked at a dental clinic
5)Baylor college of Dentistry (TAMSHSC-BCD)
6)Have early contact with the school and addmission officers and ask questions.

Thanks Dbear and congrats on your acceptance!I'm always curious about interviews-----was Baylor's one-on-one or 2-on-one. Was it particularly formal or pretty relaxed? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
1)UC Irvine
2)3.18 overall/3.16 sci
3)23/24
4)part time dentassist for 1 yr

5)interviewed:
Boston,Temple,USC,Case,Umich,Tufts,UOP,NYU

outright rejected:
Loma Linda, UPenn

I'm going to attend USC

6)advice: Kaplan helped alot for the DAT
For the interview, just be genuine and honest. If you are doing dentistry for the right reasons, it will show through. Getting dental experience helps alot because one can truly understand the intricacies as well as the broader influences of dentistry and this will give you a definite advantage.

Hello Everyone,

I'll tell everyone one thing that really attracted me to dentistry, the lessened competitive attitude. I had to deal with that competitive attitude or cutt-throat scene for four years in college with pre-meds. I've lost potential friends from it, and it made me disgusted. Those fellow pre-meds would most definitely carry it over into medical school. I found fellow pre-dents a much more friendly, down-to-earth bunch with wonderful tales and true hearts. I would say so many of these true humans chose dentistry because it offered the possibility of a life. It provided an option to study medicine, help people, have relationships with your patients and have free time to make a full life of a long marriage, children and the whole nine yards. Unless you are a oral surgeon, you will not have much on-call, except residency. That's great!
I just wanted to share this information.

My stats:
1) Manhattanville College Class of 2000
2) AADSAS's stats 3.66 Overall and 3.68 Science BCPM
3)21/18
4)Kaplan DAT Teacher, Worked on HIV and Nephropathy research, Volunteered in the ER, Physical Therapy, Traumatic Brain and Coma Recovery Unit, Dental Assistant, working in a nursing home, President of a Biological Honor Society and received a whole bunch of awards at graduation
5) Accepted to: NJDS, TUFTS, Boston, SUNY-Buffalo (DDS-Ph.D.), UConn, SUNY-Stony Brook (will attend), UMaryland, UPenn, Columbia

Interview scheduled and declined: UMich and NYU

Rejected by: Harvard (I didn't like the idea of research included in the curriculum and didn't show enthusiasm about it.)

Advice: Make everyday seem like the last! You could be here one day and gone the next! Apply early, practice interviewing, save money!!! Don't go crazy applying to as many schools as I did! Cut them down to where you would really go because it will cost you several thousands in travel fees and hotels just to see these schools. Read the Surgeon General's Report on Oral Health. It is a wonderful collection of information. Thank you for your time reading this information. May God be with you and your patients as you start practicing on them!

Good luck!

Sterichind and Dangle----Thankyou!!! It is amazing to me the feelings you have (Sterichind) towards dentistry. They parallel mine in many ways---especially the family part. Being older (27) I realize now that being able to live a normal life, yet have a wonderful occupation is valuable!!! Congrats to you 2 and good luck in the coming year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are my stats:

1. SUNY-Binghamton undergrad---screwed up badly, but no science courses taken.
2. 3.46 science GPA at CUNY City College
3. 22/17
4. Covenant House Nineline Crisis Counselor
Volunteer at Beth Israel Medical Center and St. Claires Hospital
5. Accepted at Temple, Columbia, Tufts, SUNY-Buffalo, Boston University
6. Be yourself in interviews and prepare well for them, take Kaplan review for the DAT--give yourself 4 months to prepare. Make the DAT the latest evidence you have of your potential for dentistry.

1)Arizona State University/ University of Colorado, at Boulder
2)3.44non, 2.7science/ EPO Biology
3)18/24
4)Have been doing research at the CU medical school for the past 3 years, have much dental experience
5)will attend Loma Linda University next year
6)keep trying, apply early and research the schools you apply to before you apply.

3)19/18
Numerous volunteer work.
6)Start your application early! It will allow adequate time to correct any mistakes you might find with your AADSAS application. Get familiar with the computerized format of the DAT--whether through Kaplan or some CD-ROM. Definitely reduces stress. Good luck to all. If you have specific questions post them and I (or some other members) will try to answer them![/B][/QUOTE]

1)MTSU
2)3.8/3.75 Got in a year early so i dont have one but it woulda been bio
3)20/21
4)founder/president of predent club I linked it with the asda .. observed dentist yadayadayada
5)Applied to BU, Tufts, LLU, Pitt, UTM and Harvard.
Out right reject from Harvard said I had no research and no degree
frown.gif
oh well....
accepted to all others, I want to live in Boston (I have a kid .. my fam lives there .. so they can help) I went with Tufts, but BU was nice too.
5)advice hmmmm..... well i agree apply early i didnt apply till late oct so didnt get interviews till late nov and in jan .... do your best in the required courses .... it helps to be aggressive with your teachers ...get to know them so they write good letters of recommendation for you. and dont sweat it .... its not all that hard to get in... just make sure you plan things well and it will all fall in place. good luck

Originally posted by Dr.2b:
I was reading the MD's post and thought their topic on "giving back" was helpful. I was hoping some of the members who have been accepted somewhere would share their HONEST stats----so others could see where they stand or what type of marks they need to make the cut. Feel free to tell your story and stats. I'll start:

1)Undergrad school
2)GPA/Major
3)DAT/PAT
4)Extracurriculars
6)Advice

3)19/18
Numerous volunteer work.
6)Start your application early! It will allow adequate time to correct any mistakes you might find with your AADSAS application. Get familiar with the computerized format of the DAT--whether through Kaplan or some CD-ROM. Definitely reduces stress. Good luck to all. If you have specific questions post them and I (or some other members) will try to answer them!

[This message has been edited by DrDMD05 (edited 02-03-2001).]

Congrats to everyone-----and thanks for sharing your stories. I hope others will continue.

1)Columbia University
2)2.78 / Political science
3)vasity football, dental assistant, Reperfusion injury/Metabolism/Diabetes research, volunteer free clinic dental clinic
4)18/22
5)Accepted:CWRU, Michigan (will attend UM)
Waiting list: Buffalo, Ohio State
Rejected:Upenn, Florida, Temple
6)Apply early to avoid horrible ADSAS system problems. If you think you're GPA is low take extra classes over a year off between undergrad and Dental school to prove you're not a reflection of a number. Know thyself for the interview.

[This message has been edited by Jstream (edited 02-26-2001).]

thanks to all that have posted----congrats and please keep the stats coming.

This is message for 'Sterichind'.

Could you recommend where can I get the surgeon general's reports? I would appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by ejay (edited 02-15-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
You can go to www.google.com and type in Surgeon generals report on Oral health. It will give you a lot of places. There you can find the entire report (~300 pg), a briefing (~25pg), and links to pages where it is revised to 2-3pg.

Or you can go directly to the surgeon general's home page.
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/oralhealth/

Originally posted by ejay:
This is message for 'Sterichind'.

Could you recommend where can I get the surgeon general's reports? I would appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by ejay (edited 02-15-2001).]

1) Southern Arkansas University
2) 3.87/Biology
3) 17/shameful
4) University of Tennessee Memphis
5) I work at a shoe and sports store (great people experience FOR REAL)
6) Observe several dentists to because they are all different. Get a good feel for people. Go on a mission trip to a poor country. I went to the Romanian orphanages and it gave me a whole new compassion for people, and the touchdown on US soil was a high I never thought I'd have!! Other than that use CD roms to study for the DAT and keep those grades high!!!

aaaahhhhhhh,
hows it going. when was your interview date down in memphis? i think i interviewed there on nov 17th.

i think my interview was Oct. 20. Are you going to attend there?

Nevermind!!!! i just read above!!! Have fun in Boston!

Wow folks, congratulations! I'm happy that I can now add my stats to this list!
smile.gif

1) University of Toronto
2) Human Biology - 3.27 overall, 3.54 science
3) 20/19
4) Vice president of SAVE (Student volunteer group), volunteered at many hospitals, pretty much similar to the other applicants. Lots of research.
smile.gif

5) NYU, and Tufts (that's where I'm going!)
6) I can't really answer this because everyone else covered it quite well. But if there's one thing I'd do, it's keep in constant contact with the admissions people, and know *EXACTLY* where your application is at a given school.

DrDMD05, I suspect you and I are going to be in the same class next year.
smile.gif

Welcome aboard dante, that s great news! its good to get to know you before we start the real adventure at tufts. we'll have a great time, i cant wait to get started. talk to you later, me and the wife are heading out for dinner.

Okay, it looks like I'm 99% sure I'm headed to Tufts this August so here's my stats.

1)?
2)3.36/3.3 (would have been higher if not for my <1.8 first year gpa). Bachelors of Human Kinetics
3)DAT 23/21
4) Volunteer Medical/dental outreach mission to Mexico, 3 years volunteering in geriatrics, 6 months volunteer in psych hospital, lots of extracuricular sports, shadowed/assisted in 3 dental offices, and coached vball.
5)CWRU, BU, Temple, and Tufts. Waitlisted at Marquette. No news from Creighton, UOP or my school yet.
6)Advice: shadow dentists and try to assist one if possible. You'll learn if you truly enjoy dentistry and won't be one of those 1st or 2nd year drop outs in dental school. Apply as early as possible and check if your file is complete at every school you applied to. Keep records of everything and ask for extra reference letters in case AADSAS screws up (too often they do).

Sounds like Tuft's is going to have a wonderful fr. class. Congrats to everyone and keep the stats coming
smile.gif

R.R.B

[This message has been edited by Dr.2b (edited 03-05-2001).]

1)Indiana State University in 1997
2)3.96/Environmental Health
3)20/20
4)Volunteered at a VA Dental clinic for two
months where I saw all of the specialties
in action. Currently tutor/mentor a high
school student one night a week. Volunteer
for YMCA occasionally.
5)Accepted at UCLA and UCSF
Interviewed, but waiting to hear from UOP
Rejected from Oregon because AADSAS didn't
make it to them in time. Well, I should
have applied much earlier but wasn't
expecting them to take 5 weeks to send it
to a school after my application had
already been processed. What a nightmare.
I haven't decided which school to attend
yet.
6)Besides applying early, my biggest advice
is not to give up, perservere. If you
really want to do this don't give up, show
comittees how dedicated you are by your
actions.

1)UC Berkeley
2)3.32/MCB(Molecular and Cell Biology)
3)21/22
4)volunteered at dental clinics, research assistant at a Plant and Microbiology Lab at Cal, tutoring high school students
5)UPenn, Tufts(loved it!!), Boston U, U Detroit Mercy, and waitlisted at Tempple. Interviewed at UCLA and USC, and still waiting to hear from them
6) Like millions of other posters, do apply early.....Right now, I only have 2 weeks to decide for each school that accepts me, but since I am not done with all the interviews and have not heard from all the schools, the only choice to keep my options open is to deposit for more than 1 school and believe me, not only are they expensive(only if you decide not to attend) but also nonrefundable too, ouch!! Kaplan's computer lab, especially on the perception part, really helped me a lot.

Good luck with everything and I am sure our path will cross in the very near future...ie in 5 months!!

Go Bear!

[This message has been edited by GoBear (edited March 29, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by GoBear (edited March 29, 2001).]

Boy am I glad to be posting a reply in this forum.

1)U of Washington. Go Dawgs (should have played Oklahoma.....)
2)3.1/2.85 sci. Mol Cell Bio major w/ Geography minor.
3)Bio-22, Gchem-21, Ochem-19, Math-21, Reading-22, PAT-19, and Sci-20, Academic-21
4)3.5 years assistant/volunteer, and the usual community service.
5)Accepted to BU, Creighton alternate.
6)Please see http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum9/HTML/000267.html
Call the schools and make a regular habit of checking up on your status (at least 2X a month). Don't just sit there and wait for things to happen. Also read up and research about the schools before you apply. There is a wealth of infromation out there on the web, so take advantage of it.

Good luck y'all.

-Punit-

Personal opinion:

Having owned a biz myself, I realized my dreams were my own and those that wanted to help me get there would----those who didn't, wouldn't. Bottom line is that employees are a dime-a-dozen. I'm sure you are an asset and a wonderful employee but the company will continue without you. As far as saying good bye-----the real friends will understand your true desire and realize you have different passions to pursue.

You said that you are traveling to Europe this summer---so I suspect you'll be taking some time off. I would go in 3 weeks before your trip and give a 2 week notice. Out of respect to your employer---see if there is anything you can do that would help make the transition easier. (such as: training the new kid, showing them around....) Any employer worth their salt already realizes you are most likely leaving. (due to the interview) Be up-front, respectful, and thank them for giving you some experience.

Enjoy your summer and good luck in dental school.

R.R.B

hi guys, i'm so glad i can share my joy with you too!!

1) Northwestern University
2) 2.9/3.16 (biomedical engineering & music performance - yes, it's a weird combination!)
3) 20/21
4) I've worked in a research laboratory for 1+ year, switch to a dot com company for web design, also volunteer at dental office and hospitals.
5) Accepted to NYU, wait list on U of Buffalo, U of Michigan, and Creighton. I haven't decided what to do yet.. probably sent in my deposit for NYU while wait for other schools?
6) Advice: I would persoanlly stress "sending in your files EARLY"!! I was one of the victom of timing.. make sure EVERYTHING is in EARLY.. good luck everyone!!

REPLY to Doggie>>
I think you should tell your boss asap.. I was working for a dot com company while applying to dental school. People there are just soo nice to me.. I didnt' know how to quit. Finally, I did it 2 weeks ago.. it was a big release in my part! They will understand about teh choice you're making.. The earlier you told them, the more time they will have to prepare/interview new people. You shouldn't feel bad, i'm sure your co-worker is happy for you too (if they're as good as you said they are, IF NOT.. who cares, right!) DR. 2b's plan sounds good..tell them after you've plan out your schedule for this summer..and at least give them 2 week notice. Good Luck!

dreamfish

Hey Dr.2B & Dreamfish,

Thanks for your helpful inputs.

I definitely know that I should give a 2 week notice before taking off, but just not too sure of when I should actually leave. Since school starts in the fall, I was planning to take off in mid june and just relax for a good 2.5 months. You just reassured me that it IS ok to leave.....after all, employees are a dime a dozen. Since my mind is already set on school, they can perhaps find someone else who has more passion in a dot com than me.

Another thing that Dr.2B is correct about is that my boss kinda knows that I will be leaving. He would always make comments about dentists not making as much salary as a top corporate exec if i do excel in the company. Hehe...I just found that rather amusing.
biggrin.gif

Dreamfish, how did you break the news to your employer? I'm sure they really miss you still!

])o(j(jiE

Hi guys.... I wasn't sure whether I should put my GPA and stuff. I thought I was lucky to have gotten any interviews, let alone acceptance letters, given that I applied in late September (right after I took my DAT...)
Anyway, here goes...

1. UC Berkeley - I was very lucky to have known GoBear and Doggie there. ^^
2. 3.19 (Shamefully...) / Molec. & Cell Bio.
3. 21/let's just say that I suck at 3-D stuff
4. I volunteered in various clinics, including dental, in a hospital in Taiwan. I was lucky enough to have worked in my Dad's clinic and helped the orthodontist working there. I am currently working in a Dr's office. All the insurance stuff has assured me that dental school is a much better choice ^^
5. I am prob. gonna end up at UM. CWRU and NYU interviews coming up. I haven't heard anything from UCSF nor UCLA and will be expecting their rejection letter. >< Shamefully, I kinda lost track of exactly how many schools have rejected me.
6. I doubt anyone would want my advise given my not-so-impressive resume, however, there is one thing I must say: if you don't think your GPA/DAT is very competitive, APPLY EARLY!!! I wasn't sure how well I will do on my DAT or whether I should wait 'till next year to apply, so I waited until late September to send out my application. BAD decision!!!

Well, that's it. Congrats and good luck ^^

1)University at Buffalo
2)3.36 Sci/3.36 non-sci / Biochemistry.
3)24/21
4)Research exp in H.S, and college. Full-time R&D Chemist.
5)Columbia(my 1st choice),Buffalo and NYU. Wait listed at Temple. Still waiting from Baltimore.
6)Apply early!!!! Do well on DAT! Get people skills to improve communication and to aid in interview process. Talk to Dentists.

1)UCI
2)sci 3.34 non 3.30
3)bio 25 gchem 26 ochem 21 reading 18 math 17 percepture 22
4)research and volunteer
5)interviewed columbia uconn boston temple nova ucla
invited but didn't go tufts pitt cw usc nyu waiting list marquette creighton
still waiting ucsf maryland
rejected upenn
accepted columbia uconn boston temple nova

Hey Henkel,

I just noticed that we will be classmates next year! WOOHOO! Go Columbia!
biggrin.gif

hey yo Doggie and Henkel,
I will be there too! looking forward to meet you guys!

*drink some coke or coffee before taking the DAT* -- you might get a very comfy chair in a very quiet testing room.

Hey Doggie and badaboom,

Drop me an e-mail. I want to ask couple of question about their housing.

Thanks.

smile.gif
T minus 4 months to our first dental school class! YIKES

R.R.B

1)Undergrad - UCSD
2)3.86/3.93 (on my app), molecular biology
3)DAT 24/20
4)Extracurriculars - free dental clinic volunteering and other volunteering, IM.
5)Accepted:
UCLA, UOP, USC, BU, Michigan, Penn.
Invited, but never went to interview:
UCSF, NYU, CWRU.
Rejected after interview:
Harvard. (I think they rejected me because I didn't have research experience)
6)Advice: Try to research about the schools instead of blindly choosing which schools to apply to. Get completed app in early. Good luck!

Hey Chocobo,

Those are nice stats, but you never told us which dental school you finally picked to attend. Also, how old are you? Just wondering... :D

Racerdude

I'll be attending UCLA. I'm almost 23. Why were you curious of my age?

Hi Chocobo,

I was just curious about your age because I'm wondering how old in general these students are from Student Doctor Network going into dental school. Next, I was wonderng if you could tell us why you chose UCLA School of dentistry out of al those other dental schools. In my opinion UCLA is the all around best dental school, but I was just wondering what your thoughts were. Thanks for any info. you can share!

Racerdude

I agree w/you racerdude....I think UCLA is numero uno as well...only school that might make me hesitate to go if i get in would be harvard....Chocobo, I'd also like to hear your thoughts on why you specifically chose UCLA....

I'm a CA resident and plan on practicing in CA. So an out of state school needed to have something really spectacular about it for me to go there. Of the schools I visited, the only school I would have really considered as an option would have been Harvard because Harvard ranked #1 on boards part 1 & 2.

I chose UCLA because I wanted to go to a school that was good both academically and clinically. UCLA ranks usually after Harvard on boards part I, so I figured they are up there academically. Honestly, it's hard to determine how good a school is clinically. UCLA hsd a pretty high pass rate for the CA boards, but I'm not so sure if that's an indication of how good the clinical program is at the school. I'm sure it means they do teach the basics very well. The students get early clinical exposure through tiered clinics which is nice.

Other things that were nice about the school: P/NP system, fairly new clinics, location, cost, class size.

)Undergrad school
2)GPA/Major
3)DAT/PAT
4)Extracurriculars
6)Advice

1. University of Toronto
2. Science GPA: 3.8 Overall GPA: 3.81
3. 21/18
4. Alot of research, and volunteer work
5. Accepted: Unversity of Toronto, Buffalo, NYU, Columbia, University of Western Ontario, and Howard.
6. Going to attend, University of Toronto
7. Apply early to the US schools, however if you have a strong GPA, should have relatively not a hard time being accepted in Canada. (meaning 3.8 or above).

This is a a good thread ^^

so...... bump.

This is a a good thread ^^

so...... bump.

hahah dang you found this after a million years..crazy

here y'all go:

1)University of VA
2)3.479 cum. 3.43 sci (i think)..bio major, math minor
3)22 AA/21 TS/19 PAT
4)UVA Taekwondo Club President/vp/treasurer/demo team capt, Bio lab undergrad assistant, Persian Club Treasurer/vice pres, predental society
5) Case, NOVA, Maryland, UMDNJ, VCU (will be attending VCU)
6) apply earlyyyyyy that's the key to getting interviews!

It's scary to think that everyone who originally participated in this thread has (hopefully) graduated dental school by now. ... Yikes. :eek:

Anybody else notice this thread was started 6 years ago? :laugh:

Yes, pretty freaky. Those applicants are dentists by now.

Wonder if predents.com exist back then? That's probably why they needed to do this.

While I appreciate the fact that you used the forum's search function, zombie threads scare me.

Hello Everyone,

I'll tell everyone one thing that really attracted me to dentistry, the lessened competitive attitude. I had to deal with that competitive attitude or cutt-throat scene for four years in college with pre-meds. I've lost potential friends from it, and it made me disgusted. Those fellow pre-meds would most definitely carry it over into medical school. I found fellow pre-dents a much more friendly, down-to-earth bunch with wonderful tales and true hearts. I would say so many of these true humans chose dentistry because it offered the possibility of a life. It provided an option to study medicine, help people, have relationships with your patients and have free time to make a full life of a long marriage, children and the whole nine yards. Unless you are a oral surgeon, you will not have much on-call, except residency. That's great!
I just wanted to share this information.

My stats:
1) Manhattanville College Class of 2000
2) AADSAS's stats 3.66 Overall and 3.68 Science BCPM
3)21/18
4)Kaplan DAT Teacher, Worked on HIV and Nephropathy research, Volunteered in the ER, Physical Therapy, Traumatic Brain and Coma Recovery Unit, Dental Assistant, working in a nursing home, President of a Biological Honor Society and received a whole bunch of awards at graduation
5) Accepted to: NJDS, TUFTS, Boston, SUNY-Buffalo (DDS-Ph.D.), UConn, SUNY-Stony Brook (will attend), UMaryland, UPenn, Columbia

Interview scheduled and declined: UMich and NYU

Rejected by: Harvard (I didn't like the idea of research included in the curriculum and didn't show enthusiasm about it.)

Advice: Make everyday seem like the last! You could be here one day and gone the next! Apply early, practice interviewing, save money!!! Don't go crazy applying to as many schools as I did! Cut them down to where you would really go because it will cost you several thousands in travel fees and hotels just to see these schools. Read the Surgeon General's Report on Oral Health. It is a wonderful collection of information. Thank you for your time reading this information. May God be with you and your patients as you start practicing on them!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! How do yo find the surgeon general's report on oral health? I seems you took some time off after college. If you were to do it again, would you choose to go straight to dental schools after college? or experience something more? And the downside would be to graduate from dental school late. It's also a questions for everyone too! :)

1)Undergrad - UCSD
2)3.86/3.93 (on my app), molecular biology
3)DAT 24/20
4)Extracurriculars - free dental clinic volunteering and other volunteering, IM.
5)Accepted:
UCLA, UOP, USC, BU, Michigan, Penn.
Invited, but never went to interview:
UCSF, NYU, CWRU.
Rejected after interview:
Harvard. (I think they rejected me because I didn't have research experience)
6)Advice: Try to research about the schools instead of blindly choosing which schools to apply to. Get completed app in early. Good luck!

Hey Chocobo! I was just wondering if volunteering at free dental clinic is the only extracurricular you did? or can u list all of them? No offense, just wondering how much extracurricular activities I should be doing. btw, I'm @ UCSD too. :luck: And, congrats on your acceptance to UCLA!