Whos more competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just so we have an understanding of what's going on and what really matters...

Going into third year, who is more competitive?

Applicant A: step 1: 250, 1 paper
Applicant B: step 1: 240, 5 papers

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with applicant A as more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not a PD, but the scores are less than two standard errors of difference apart from each other. One cannot safely assume that the 250 is more proficient than the 240 based on the score alone, according the score interpretation guidelines.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say it varies based on the field, but if all the pubs were in the field they're trying to match I'd say applicant B.

What does someone who interviews well look like vs someone who doesn't

If you have to ask, you're probably not the former ;)

Reactions: 2 users
First off, Applicant B is in the driver's seat. Board scores are fine, but being able to work with others and complete projects in a competitive academic environment is far more tangible -- especially when the scores are grouped closely. However, if those 5 publications are 6th author out of 10+ in a Nobel prize-winner's lab, who produces 20+ publications per year, then that opinion may change. 5 first-author publications would be a real winner, but that is rare of outside of very good PhD students.

IlDestriero is right -- no one gets accepted to the best residencies if no one wants to work with them, regardless of scores. The vetting of scores is just how programs whittle down the application list; at the end of the day the faculty really wants to work with people who do a good job taking care of their patients and who are not too difficult to place in faculty spots at the end of residency. The faculty is there year after year, and they don't want to be annoyed by socially impaired residents.

Remember the first line from the movie "Rounders": If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you are the sucker. People with sociopathic tendencies rarely have insight into the way they come across to others. Display empathy, humor, grace, and humility during your interview, and you will outperform your board scores. I interview applicants for a super competitive fellowship almost every year, and I always put way more stock into the interview performance than the paper application -- the paper just gets you in the door.

Reactions: 7 users
First off, Applicant B is in the driver's seat. Board scores are fine, but being able to work with others and complete projects in a competitive academic environment is far more tangible -- especially when the scores are grouped closely. However, if those 5 publications are 6th author out of 10+ in a Nobel prize-winner's lab, who produces 20+ publications per year, then that opinion may change. 5 first-author publications would be a real winner, but that is rare of outside of very good PhD students.

IlDestriero is right -- no one gets accepted to the best residencies if no one wants to work with them, regardless of scores. The vetting of scores is just how programs whittle down the application list; at the end of the day the faculty really wants to work with people who do a good job taking care of their patients and who are not too difficult to place in faculty spots at the end of residency. The faculty is there year after year, and they don't want to be annoyed by socially impaired residents.

Remember the first line from the movie "Rounders": If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you are the sucker. People with sociopathic tendencies rarely have insight into the way they come across to others. Display empathy, humor, grace, and humility during your interview, and you will outperform your board scores. I interview applicants for a super competitive fellowship almost every year, and I always put way more stock into the interview performance than the paper application -- the paper just gets you in the door.

Thank you for the insight, it was valuable.

Last edited:

I think the only thing you need to understand at this point is that it's not that simple. The fact that you didn't even mention which specialty you're talking about, are asking this question before the most important year of med school, and didn't mention which med school these two are coming from shows that you don't get it.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the only thing you need to understand at this point is that it's not that simple. The fact that you didn't even mention which specialty you're talking about, are asking this question before the most important year of med school, and didn't mention which med school these two are coming from shows that you don't get it.
J/w, which is the most important year of med school? 2 or 3?

Members don't see this ad :)

I hope you can get banned for that. Sexist jokes shouldn't be accepted casually. You'd probably think twice before posting a racist joke.

Last edited:
I hope you can get banned for that. Sexist jokes shouldn't be accepted casually. You'd probably think twice before posting a racist joke.
Not defending the comment, but can't men have perky **** as well? :)

get-rid-of-man-boobs.jpg

It doesn't matter. Both candidates will match any specialty if they have a decent application aside from those things.

Pc patrol rolling through, trampling on the right to freedom of expression

Reactions: 1 users
Pc patrol rolling through, trampling on the right to freedom of expression

Not being allowed to sit at the grownup table when you can't act like a grownup is neither a PC or a "freedom of expression" issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Not being allowed to sit at the grownup table when you can't act like a grownup is neither a PC or a "freedom of expression" issue.

Dude chill with your hey look at me I'm an adult shtick. It's old and no one cares

Dude chill with your hey look at me I'm an adult shtick. It's old and no one cares

My apologies: I'll re-type my post
"Do you seriously think enforced standards of not being a ******* on SDN is a 'freedom of expression' issue, Bro?"

Reactions: 3 users
My apologies: I'll re-type my post
"Do you seriously think enforced standards of not being a ******* on SDN is a 'freedom of expression' issue, Bro?"

It is when someone is calling for someone else to be banned for making what is a tactless but relatively harmful statement

Wow, someone has no sense of humor...

This thread:
mbKbZoZ.gif

I am quite certain that most millennials wake up in the morning and ask themselves " OK, what will I choose to be offended by today? "

I like the Internet, but I swear it ( and particularly social media) has resulted in an ongoing contest of who can most loudly proclaim that they have been offended. People wear that **** like a badge of honor.

Reactions: 5 users
I am quite certain that most millennials wake up in the morning and ask themselves " OK, what will I choose to be offended by today? "

I like the Internet, but I swear it ( and particularly social media) has resulted in an ongoing contest of who can most loudly proclaim that they have been offended. People wear that **** like a badge of honor.

ironically said topic was discussed in a shockingly productive manner over on the pre-allo board last night.

Still trying to find this "sexist" joke. For a future radiologist, I'm having trouble spotting it. :shrug:
He deleted it. More crass and crude rather than funny.
I don't think it was a joke, and may actually be valid. Though I wouldn't have phrased it so crassly on the public forum.
The ERAS picture doesn't focus that close on the bust line! :laugh:

Wait why was my post deleted lol all I did was ask if you guys were referring to the comment about perkier tits?