stevo23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Status
I took them in August and actually didn't do as well as a 29. More like low 20's. Im taking Kaplan this time and finding it very helpful. Here's hoping for a 30+. Best of luck to you. :thumbup:

RUscrewed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
New Brunswick, NJ
Status
Good luck. If you're confident you can do better, of course retake. But I think being that you're an underrepresented minority, a 29 with your split might be ok. Just be sure that your score does not go down. Being that the April test is super easy in comparison to the August one, it is difficult to get really high scores (12+) because there is very little margin for error.

MIKE G said:
Hey everyone.

I got a 29R this past August....

Yeah I know thats not THAAT bad, but I want to get into a Cali school. I'm seriously shooting for a 35Q. :smuggrin:

Hows everyone progressing so far that are re-taking?

JDWflash44

Workin it...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Cleveland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got a 29M last april (11PS,8VR,10BS), but I had a really bad case of mononucleosis from february until may and studied maybe all of 2/3 of the material. So i'm figuring i can do better with a re-take, also shootin for a 35+.... good luck to everyone

stevo23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Status
RUscrewed Being that the April test is super easy in comparison to the August one said:
I was curious to see that the April test is considered easier than the August version. Has this been statistically true over the last few years? I'm taking it this April reguardless, but if anyone has any stats, it would be interesting to see them. Thanks and good luck.

OP
Elastase

Elastase

StanfUrd bound!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
Tha Bay
www.healthcareforall.org
Status
Pre-Medical
JDWflash44: I got the same break down as you...Isn't verbal a b#tch? But I plan to kill it in April.

As far as the April being easier, that could be true...But if you know your sciences better, and you study your a$$ off I don't see why you could not improve. You can always improve...Just make sure you go overboard with studying so you dont get screwed with a lower score....

Mike

R

Revolution #9

AAMC has stated a trillion times that the April MCAT is not harder than the August MCAT - it is the same test.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
I seriously doubt that its easier. I think the averages look a little different due to the fact that there are probably more test takers in the summer, due to the fact that most people have off in the summer. But maybe the number of test takers is even. Who knows????/ I would have to research it.

RUscrewed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
New Brunswick, NJ
Status
let me put it this way. i took the test in april and felt extremely confident about every answer in the science sections but only got 10 and 11. In august i blindly guessed on 2 passages, and could not have possibly gotten more than 75% right but got 11 and 12. furthermore, in august they asked for the NMR wavelength of a specific functional group, and a question that required memorization of the hendersen hasselbach equation. the april test was waaaaay easier, and AAMC acknowledges this (whoever said they don't shouldn't make stuff up) ... but they claim to normalize the curve in both cases so as to accurately reflect your MCAT knowledge.

RUscrewed said:
Good luck. If you're confident you can do better, of course retake. But I think being that you're an underrepresented minority, a 29 with your split might be ok. Just be sure that your score does not go down. Being that the April test is super easy in comparison to the August one, it is difficult to get really high scores (12+) because there is very little margin for error.