Who's ready to quit their old jobs (get out of undergrad) and start med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bushido416

Tired of basic research
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for those who are stuck in boring classes (senioritis) or like me with a job they can't wait to leave.

I do research for the military. It sounds cool on paper which is good for the interviews but when you get down to it day in and day out I do literally thousands of pipetting motions of clear liquids into clear liquids. Then I do so much math determining enzymatic kinetics of 4 seperate simultaneous stereoisomers at once that it takes about 6 shots of espresso to get me willing to get up to even go to work. I'm so freaking ready to get out of here with all the bureaucracy and red tape and get to work with patients or study or be challenged in some way. Any other similar stories would be therapeutic and appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There was definitely a similar thread to this a week or two ago if you want more theraputic stories. but i'll join in here as well. I can't wait. I am so bored of my life right now. I'm tired of philadelphia, i'm tired of my research job, i'm tired of everything. I'm ready to move. I don't necessarily want to skip to med school starting, but i'd like to at least fast forward to memorial day weekend and the start of summer. I am going to be soooooo much happier then, with nice weather, after losing a lot of weight, spending the summer moving and hanging out on my parents boat and getting ready for med school. I wish there was a fast-forward button on life.

There was definitely a similar thread to this a week or two ago if you want more theraputic stories. but i'll join in here as well. I can't wait. I am so bored of my life right now. I'm tired of philadelphia, i'm tired of my research job, i'm tired of everything. I'm ready to move. I don't necessarily want to skip to med school starting, but i'd like to at least fast forward to memorial day weekend and the start of summer. I am going to be soooooo much happier then, with nice weather, after losing a lot of weight, spending the summer moving and hanging out on my parents boat and getting ready for med school. I wish there was a fast-forward button on life.
Have you every watched Click??? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I write papers in policy speak for the government. Ready to get out of this job. Of course, as soon as I heard I got accepted at a place that starts in July I thought, "Damn, that's early!"

I've been waiting for this for a while though. I'm pretty psyched!

-

Last edited:
I'm starting in May, everyone knows I'm starting med school. I work at a grocery store in the pharmacy as a clerk, which rocks. However, I can't get all my hours in there so they make me go to the central check out area. A lot of times they send me on the parking lot to push f'in grocery carts. That is about as depressing of a "job" i can think of. The birds over head making you their target doesn't help. I think the worst thing though is the way people look at me, when I'm pushing carts.

I'm counting down the days I have left, which is 22. Once I heard back, I gave my supervisor a two-month notice. They have been very nice to me, but I'm at the breaking point. I'm so burned out with this job. I've already bought plane tickets for 6 weeks abroad. Haven't figured out what to do for the 2 months before school starts though.

haha, I am in a similar situation...

me = software engineer... sounds "Cool & exciting" right?
Well, imagine sitting infront of the computer screen for 8-10 hrs a day doing nothing but coding new code, or testing some module some ***** wrote (whom did NOT know what he/she was doing) and I end up not only testing it, but finding the bugs, fixing them, giving them back to my boss,

and while this whole thing is happening, some jackass upper level manager keeps walking around saying "nasem, is that EF58 UNEM task complete, I need it ready before the end of the day"... WHEN IN REALITY IT TAKES MORE THAN 2 WEEKS TO COMPLETE THIS "EF58" task (its even written on my task schedule sheet...*2 FREAKING WEEKS*) and I just started working on it 2 days ago.... haha

But I am not really complaining, I know it sounds like I am, the job is good, money is great, and I am blessed with low level managers who give me alot of flexibility with my schedule to finish up my post-bacc..... But honestly, I can't wait until the day I give them my 2 weeks due to an acceptance :)

At least some of you guys have jobs that sort of stimulate your brains. I am a registration clerk at an emergency room. Sometimes I see some cool stuff, but mostly I just collect insurance information and put it in the computer, along with demographic data. I try not to get anyone else's bodily fluids on me more than a couple of times a week. It wouldn't be so bad, except for the 12 HOUR SHIFTS!

^^ thank goodness for SDN. Definitely makes my job more bearable.

I started my research job back in Oct (after I submitted all my app). I did not lie about my app because I thought it would be a great opportunity to work for some of the biggest names in the field (hence I would probably defer). Now that some of the docs know about my acceptances, they are telling me to quit saying that I shouldn't defer one year for a job. One actually printed a "how to quit your research job professionally" instruction for me the other day. Haha.

I have been hesitating about planning summer travels since if I didnt get in I wouldnt be able to just leave my job for that long...

Now with an acceptance in hand all I think about is travelling and relaxing for a few months before I go back to killing myself in med school!

Yes!!! Sign me up!! It seems time just goes slower than ever now when I really want it to speed up...and my job/life is no where near as boring/bad as some of the posts up here...at least my school has a second look day so I can take off work and just get to briefly feel what it will be like in a few more months...

And to the guy complaining about having to do checkout/push carts at some retail job...I did that for years (all through HS and college), and I know what quite a few of the people are thinking...it's the expected/ok job for high school kids...but after that, people just assume you are basically a lifer, and that you probably dropped out of HS....seriously, I had several people tell me that I should go back to school or look into getting some type of educational training so I could do something with my life:(

Yes!!! Sign me up!! It seems time just goes slower than ever now when I really want it to speed up...and my job/life is no where near as boring/bad as some of the posts up here...at least my school has a second look day so I can take off work and just get to briefly feel what it will be like in a few more months...

And to the guy complaining about having to do checkout/push carts at some retail job...I did that for years (all through HS and college), and I know what quite a few of the people are thinking...it's the expected/ok job for high school kids...but after that, people just assume you are basically a lifer, and that you probably dropped out of HS....seriously, I had several people tell me that I should go back to school or look into getting some type of educational training so I could do something with my life:(

Arrgh, I know exactly what you mean :(

Until recently, I was working crummy retail because it's so hard to find a real job when employers take one look at your resume and can tell from a mile away you're not going to be around long. I've had customers ask me if my job is my "career" and they're so happy when I tell them it's not.

Just wanted to start a thread for those who are stuck in boring classes (senioritis) or like me with a job they can't wait to leave.

I do research for the military. It sounds cool on paper which is good for the interviews but when you get down to it day in and day out I do literally thousands of pipetting motions of clear liquids into clear liquids. Then I do so much math determining enzymatic kinetics of 4 seperate simultaneous stereoisomers at once that it takes about 6 shots of espresso to get me willing to get up to even go to work. I'm so freaking ready to get out of here with all the bureaucracy and red tape and get to work with patients or study or be challenged in some way. Any other similar stories would be therapeutic and appreciated.

I am definitely ready. I took time off too and found a job to pay the bills and get health experience. First the job starts at 6AM so that's something I can't wait to get over. Next, at work I constantly hear people tell me not to work at my current job for the rest of my life. I have told them on numerous occasions that those aren't my plans, and that I'm already leaving to continue my education, but I get it every single damn day. You don't know how many times I want to bang my head against my keyboard when I hear my coworkers bitch, and then tell me in a condescending tone, 'Don't do this for the rest of your life, honey. Make something of yourself. Do you want to be stuck here for the rest of your life? You're young and smart. Don't be stupid. I have a job at another hospital for you.' *bangs head against conveniently placed keyboard until loss of brain cells and concussion occurs* At this rate I will be too dumb to go to med school.

I'm ready to quit my job and get on with my life, but I'm not too excited about the paychecks stopping...

I've got a research job that pretty much sucks too. The key is online shows/movies. Turn the monitor away so your supervisor can't see it. Also, it's always good to slip out of work on a "long lunch" to work out, run errands, meet people for lunch, etc.

I would love to quit my job, but I am going on an extended vacation courtesy of your employer.:thumbdown:

I'm a graveyard phlebotomist....saving my pennies and counting down to quit time!!!

me? well, actually ive been looking for jobs instead of looking for them to end. granted i lifeguarded all through high school, i will be quiting that and looking for a more exciting job (or at least stimulating) that i will never get the chance to do ever again. i recently applied to CPK, olive garden, starbucks, and others. maybe ill take a bartending class? :luck: