Who's the Highest Paid Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank goodness you gave your authoritative statement!!!! My 30 years of being a pharmacist counts for nothing in comparison to what you know - whew! I can't tell what you are....a student, applicant to pharmacy, DO/MD...whatever.

However....I am one of those pharmacists who make good money & altho I have great legs (Zpak knows this!) my butt is very much intact (altho not spread as much as Zpaks because he sits down & I don't!).

But....we do so much thank you for all your knowledge of what my paycheck so clearly shows is a mistake.......I'm sure my colleagues, who have only been out of school for 5 years & make the same money I do agree with you also!

Well, that sucks for you that your colleagues are making the same amount as you.....especially after 30 years of work, versus 5 years of work. Im not a hater, friend.......I am just being realistic. You tell me then, how much do you make, barring that I believe you in the first place, and I will shut up about this, and apologize on this thread that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Cool?

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that I will be making more money than the whole lot of you, so I am all good

Famous last words!:smuggrin:

Well, that sucks for you that your colleagues are making the same amount as you.....especially after 30 years of work, versus 5 years of work. Im not a hater, friend.......I am just being realistic. You tell me then, how much do you make, barring that I believe you in the first place, and I will shut up about this, and apologize on this thread that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Cool?

It doesn't matter what she makes... SDN and her husband Dr. SDN will always make more money than you ever will... oh.. and their lovely medical student daughter will make more money than all of us.. so. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter what she makes... SDN and her husband Dr. SDN will always make more money than you ever will... oh.. and their lovely medical student daughter will make more money than all of us.. so. :smuggrin:

Nope, I will make more than all of them......sorry dude!!!!

I am going to have a topless pharmacy, and charge a cover for all the patients to come in my store; I will be a billionaire, its just a matter of time.....

Pharmacists make jack-sh**. Go into medicine if you want money.

O, wait, your not smart enough.

Haha

Nope, I will make more than all of them......sorry dude!!!!

I am going to have a topless pharmacy, and charge a cover for all the patients to come in my store; I will be a billionaire, its just a matter of time.....

Heck.. at least you got a little sense of humor. But if you're curious about independent pharmacy operation, read the Pfizer digest... it's a free publication from Pfizer which goes into financial details of indenpendently owned pharmacies. Trust me, they do well. I also own a closed door pharmacy in my DME business.

Haha

Hey Look...Jaded Surgeon is back.

haha, jadedsurgeon is a *****. I can see why he got baned, just search his posts.

Why the hell did i get banned (formerly nyc26)

Cool?

Sir.....I have no reason to convince you of my monetary worth. And...as someone previously put it so eloquently - it is in poor taste to actually ask what someone else is making and I'm certainly not going to share it on a public forum!

We can speak of the going "rates" - which in my area are very high. There have been many threads on the hourly rates across the country & folks have been truly honest. Why would they be otherwise?

I think Mountain stated & quite rightly - the hourly rates are extremely different with different geographic locations. So...what my rate is will not compare with dgrouix, Mountain or Requiem - who lives in a different country.

Personally, I have NO knowledge of independent pharmacists & what they make, but I find it laughable that you would since you're not even in the same field. I do know quite a bit about small businesses, however, since my husband (as Zpak so quaintly refers to him as Dr sdn) is actually a dentist & is a solo practioner. So...I know lots about overhead, employee costs, malpractice, lease agreements & insurance contracting - but as it relates to dentistry. I can't extrapolate that to owning a pharmacy...but be careful judging what folks say when you, yourself don't have the background.

However....the only one who this is important to is my employer who does indeed value me & compensates me very well (ok - well...two employers actually) and myself.

I do feel I can fairly well tell these current students & prospective students that they will indeed at some point in their careers make $100/hr because I can look back on what my hourly rate was in 1977 & do just a bit of small arithimetic to see what % increase has taken place in my career. Now...will I see it? Perhaps not - we'll see how long I work.

There is no need for you to not voice your opinion - opinions are always welcome. Just don't disparage the opinions of others who are actually in the field. And...there is no need to apologize! All I ask - is to respect those of us who are willing to share, as openly & honestly as we feel we can on a public forum, what students who actually want to go into the field have questions about. The OP asked if any of us made over 100K (I think:oops: ) and we answered.

If you indeed do find yourself in a medical field in the future - I hope you will respect & value the worth of those you work with - from the window washer to the CEO of your hospital, without evaluating, judging or more importantly disparaging them based on what they earn.

I wish you all the best in your choice of careers and look forward to working with you in the future!

Haha

This comment was inappropriate & completely unprofessional!

Sir.....I have no reason to convince you of my monetary worth. And...as someone previously put it so eloquently - it is in poor taste to actually ask what someone else is making and I'm certainly not going to share it on a public forum!

We can speak of the going "rates" - which in my area are very high. There have been many threads on the hourly rates across the country & folks have been truly honest. Why would they be otherwise?

I think Mountain stated & quite rightly - the hourly rates are extremely different with different geographic locations. So...what my rate is will not compare with dgrouix, Mountain or Requiem - who lives in a different country.

Personally, I have NO knowledge of independent pharmacists & what they make, but I find it laughable that you would since you're not even in the same field. I do know quite a bit about small businesses, however, since my husband (as Zpak so quaintly refers to him as Dr sdn) is actually a dentist & is a solo practioner. So...I know lots about overhead, employee costs, malpractice, lease agreements & insurance contracting - but as it relates to dentistry. I can't extrapolate that to owning a pharmacy...but be careful judging what folks say when you, yourself don't have the background.

However....the only one who this is important to is my employer who does indeed value me & compensates me very well (ok - well...two employers actually) and myself.

I do feel I can fairly well tell these current students & prospective students that they will indeed at some point in their careers make $100/hr because I can look back on what my hourly rate was in 1977 & do just a bit of small arithimetic to see what % increase has taken place in my career. Now...will I see it? Perhaps not - we'll see how long I work.

There is no need for you to not voice your opinion - opinions are always welcome. Just don't disparage the opinions of others who are actually in the field. And...there is no need to apologize! All I ask - is to respect those of us who are willing to share, as openly & honestly as we feel we can on a public forum, what students who actually want to go into the field have questions about. The OP asked if any of us made over 100K (I think:oops: ) and we answered.

If you indeed do find yourself in a medical field in the future - I hope you will respect & value the worth of those you work with - from the window washer to the CEO of your hospital, without evaluating, judging or more importantly disparaging them based on what they earn.

I wish you all the best in your choice of careers and look forward to working with you in the future!

c'mon....dig up the old Lilly Digest from your library... it tells you about the indy financials... :D

c'mon....dig up the old Lilly Digest from your library... it tells you about the indy financials... :D

Yeah.....I know it does - but I don't WANT to know, you know???? Do I even still have it? I wonder.....maybe with the baby books:rolleyes: ...

I hear it every night over the dinner table - but about hygienists, dental assistants & receptions rates. Fortunately, he has a 10 yr lease with a 10 year renew - he'll be retired by then! But....every year he comes up with a new gadget (oh - at about 20K a pop!). Dentists are gadget happy people!

I'm happy looking at my journals having to write an evaluation for a new drug for the P&T committee - thats my cup of tea! (oh...on that note - do you restrict propofol &/or ketamine to a particular service - other than the obvious - anesthesia??? just curious..)

Yeah.....I know it does - but I don't WANT to know, you know???? Do I even still have it? I wonder.....maybe with the baby books:rolleyes: ...

I hear it every night over the dinner table - but about hygienists, dental assistants & receptions rates. Fortunately, he has a 10 yr lease with a 10 year renew - he'll be retired by then! But....every year he comes up with a new gadget (oh - at about 20K a pop!). Dentists are gadget happy people!

I'm happy looking at my journals having to write an evaluation for a new drug for the P&T committee - thats my cup of tea! (oh...on that note - do you restrict propofol &/or ketamine to a particular service - other than the obvious - anesthesia??? just curious..)

Propofol - intubation protocol can be initiated by intensivists..critical care docs...like pulmonary guys.. and ER. Ketamine is restricted anesthesia but once in a while ER and OB guys ask for it.. of course they have to be "conscious sedation" certified or JCAHO frowns upon it. Only Anesthesia can order Propofol dose above 50mcg/kg/min..but pulmonary will order it to once in a while.

Members don't see this ad :)

Propofol - intubation protocol can be initiated by intensivists..critical care docs...like pulmonary guys.. and ER. Ketamine is restricted anesthesia but once in a while ER and OB guys ask for it.. of course they have to be "conscious sedation" certified or JCAHO frowns upon it. Only Anesthesia can order Propofol dose above 50mcg/kg/min..but pulmonary will order it to once in a while.

The days of restricting Propofol(diprivan) is over for pharmacy managment industry due to generic propofol being cheaper than Ativan drip.. I kid you not.

Of course a GI doc came to pharmacy last week insisting we stock brand Diprivan because he has patients with sulfur allergy... I said "dood... sulfur allergy comes from sulfonamide found in loop diuretics and sulfur antibiotics.. generic propofol has sulfite..which is not the same.. and if you believe your patient has sulfite allergy, you better not administer reglan, phenergan, dopamine.. dobutamine...and about 20 other injections which use bisulfite preservatives..." "but just for you...I'll stock another generic propfol with sodium benzoate preservative but over my dead body am I going to get diprivan because you think your patient has "sulfur" allergy."

He said.."oh.." and left.

the Medicine guys always bully the Pharm people.......but none of us can say anything back lol.....because they make more money. speaking of more money, whos richer? ZPACK or SDN1977? please dont be shy.

the Medicine guys always bully the Pharm people.......but none of us can say anything back lol.....because they make more money. speaking of more money, whos richer? ZPACK or SDN1977? please dont be shy.

You can say something back, as long as it is well-reasoned and said professionally. How much money doctors vs. pharmacists make is not relevant to patient care decisions.

Also, I think its time to stop asking individual posters what they personally make. No one needs to reveal that unless they just want to. Speaking of trends, regional rates, etc. is sufficient.

Of course SDN is..not only financially...but spiritually and everything in her life is more enriched than mine.. :love:

Of course SDN is..not only financially...but spiritually and everything in her life is more enriched than mine.. :love:

NOT!

Now...Zpak - you're in the deep south.....you are infinitely more spiritual than myself!

I'm guessing that my wine cellar might be a bit more enriched than yours though. Perhaps you can restock when you pass into CA this summer. After all - that rig of yours can hold quite a few cases:D .

Thanks for the info - one of the 2007 tasks is to look into & rewrite the two protocols for ketamine & propofol. Overdue, but this old stuff needs to be rewritten occassionally.

Texas is not the deep south...Texas is...different.

Its not????:confused:

I've only been there once - that was plenty. It seemed pretty south to me, but what do I know?

Perhaps you were referring more to the "spirituality" of the deep south - yeah...thats a whole 'nother thing I guess. I was thinking about the current "family values" thing of a Texan which comes to mind.

I do thank you for your clarification! I'd agree....Texas is....different! (I've got friends who claim they aren't part of the US - who knows - they could be right:D ).

I'm sure this has been talked about but what are your opinions on excessively high and increasing salaries? Won't they hurt pharmacists in the long run? I'm sure companies will try to find a way to try and cut their expenses if salaries keep going up...like less pharmacists and more techs, technology, etc...

This should be a topic for another thread. You are exactly correct. Chain pharmacies have already found and are looking for more ways to cut the number of pharmacists they need to employ. Dispensing robots, remote filling and verification, ATM machines ect. We are a huge expense that they what to reduce as much as possible. Take the recent example Wal-Mart set with their $4.00 prescriptions. Basically the message this sends is prescription medications are a commodity just like milk, bread, and butter. This stupid move did nothing to help Wal-Mart's overall store sales. What they did was to take pharmacy back one more step.

What I have found in talking to my coworkers and participating in this forum is most if not all Pharmacists have their head buried in the sand concerning this issue. Take this response to your question as proof….

hmmmm.......no! First - what we are paid is not excessively high altho it is increasing.

Don't worry about techs or technology.....we need them to help us do more than just lick & stick (gosh...that sounds like that other Levaquin thread:oops: ).

When I first started.....a long time ago...pharmacists would let anyone "handle" the drugs - just type the labels (before unit dose!!!). Can you imagine what our lives would be like if that were still true?

I think all my diabetics, depressive pts, CAD pts & the ICU pts & colleagues need my abilities more than just my skill at counting by fives!

This is a typical response you will get from someone who has been a pharmacist for a long time. They say stuff like "don't worry, things will be fine" or "oh they need our knowledge" or "we do more the count pills." The problem is upper management is increasingly seeing pharmacy as a commodity not as a skilled profession. For them its all about increasing profit anyway they can.

Remember the words of our own President Bush. In a speech he blamed the high cost of prescription drugs on the fact that pharmacists have high salaries and retail chains are gouging the customers to pay for it. If our own President is that out of touch with reality, we as a profession are in big trouble.

This should be a topic for another thread. You are exactly correct. Chain pharmacies have already found and are looking for more ways to cut the number of pharmacists they need to employ. Dispensing robots, remote filling and verification, ATM machines ect. We are a huge expense that they what to reduce as much as possible. Take the recent example Wal-Mart set with their $4.00 prescriptions. Basically the message this sends is prescription medications are a commodity just like milk, bread, and butter. This stupid move did nothing to help Wal-Mart’s overall store sales. What they did was to take pharmacy back one more step.

What I have found in talking to my coworkers and participating in this forum is most if not all Pharmacists have their head buried in the sand concerning this issue. Take this response to your question as proof….

This is a typical response you will get from someone who has been a pharmacist for a long time. They say stuff like "don't worry, things will be fine" or "oh they need our knowledge" or "we do more the count pills." The problem is upper management is increasingly seeing pharmacy as a commodity not as a skilled profession. For them its all about increasing profit anyway they can.

Remember the words of our own President Bush. In a speech he blamed the high cost of prescription drugs on the fact that pharmacists have high salaries and retail chains are gouging the customers to pay for it. If our own President is that out of touch with reality, we as a profession are in big trouble.

That was a good post, but OUR PRESIDENT is out of touch with ALOT of realities. He was just repeating what the Pharma lobbyists handed his speech people with the contributions.

P.S.: BAN Bidil it is a racist drug.

That was a good post, but OUR PRESIDENT is out of touch with ALOT of realities. He was just repeating what the Pharma lobbyists handed his speech people with the contributions.

P.S.: BAN Bidil it is a racist drug.

It's not a racist drug. It's an affirmative action drug.

This should be a topic for another thread. You are exactly correct. Chain pharmacies have already found and are looking for more ways to cut the number of pharmacists they need to employ. Dispensing robots, remote filling and verification, ATM machines ect. We are a huge expense that they what to reduce as much as possible. Take the recent example Wal-Mart set with their $4.00 prescriptions. Basically the message this sends is prescription medications are a commodity just like milk, bread, and butter. This stupid move did nothing to help Wal-Mart’s overall store sales. What they did was to take pharmacy back one more step.

As much as I respect your opinion....I don't think I have my head buried in the sand. I very much feel my employers do indeed want me to do more than count! Yes...I am a commodity - there are lots of other pharmacists who would like my job and are capable enough to do it. That's why i keep up & keep current.

If you want to be fearful of technology or the use of technicians, yes...you'll be stuck forever sorting out insurance issues & checking pyxis fills. Thats not what I choose to do.

I agree with you - Bush is totally out touch with reality when it comes to pharmacy - or anything else for that matter. But...we can look to our own association representatives for doing us a disservice. They have already admitted they did not represent us & some have lost their positions due to this (yes...I do follow the pharmacy politicians).

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not judging me for my age & experience within the field, but not all of us are "stuck in our ways". In fact, I see many young pharmacists who seem unwilling & downright afraid to take on expanded practice management abilities. I choose to seek out ways to do this - not just have it thrust upon me to be a reluctant participant. I've chosen my employers which will allow me to do this. For that reason, I do not work for Walmart nor Target, however, I don't judge those that do. Their reasons for choosing that practice environment may work for them & they certainly serve a market which seems to have had a need.

I don't see these changes (mtm, immunization services, diabetes screening, ICU or OR pharmacists, mental health pharmacists, etc) as increasing profit necessarily, but decreasing costs. A technician cannot decrease costs since they can't make therapeutic judgments. We, perhaps, must agree to disagree here.

I for one will open an independent pharmacy very soon, regardless of my income. I am pretty tired of the corporate world and am ready to venture into my own world. I already work like 60-65 hrs per week, so working a little more wont kill me. When I was an intern with drug emporium (Vix) In 2003, my pharmacy manager (whoe i became friends with) warned me that I would not last in the corporate world. I have the personality of an owner and I would not tolerate someone above me watching every move i made in terms of hours and budget. He was right. He made it very clear that i should be an owner. I am ready, now i just need the area and the money! I will probably sell my toys and live cheap for a good year. I will sacrifice for a year or so and then i will open. I am ready.

Dr. M

Online salary survey report is very inaccurate at best because it is based on what people report. The most accurate salary is is published locally. Most metropolitan areas have local healthcare salary published through Hospital Council in the area based on each institution's Human Resources report.

This is a fairly expensive subscription most hospitals participate in. In my area, average hospital staff pharmacist salary was $45 per hour excluding the differentials. So, a hospital pharmacist working M-F 40 hours week would have made $93,600 if no evening, no overtime, or no weekends were worked.

And since most pharmacist will do some evening, overtime, and weekends, hitting $100,000 per year for an average pharmacist isn't that hard.

The average salary for Director of Pharmacy in the area is close to $140,000 base per year which is skewed by some large hosptals who pay $180,000 per year.

But this is nothing compared to your local pharmacist who owns his own pharmacy.

I'm surprised no one used the Old Lilly Digest now known as the NCPA-Pfizer Digest as a resource.

In 2005, an average independently (24,500) owned pharmacy grossed $3.75million with 3.7% net profit. That is $140,000 profit and add $100,000 for the salary... that's $240,000 per year for an independent pharmacist.

http://www.ncpanet.org/pdf/digest06_summary.pdf

The independent pharmacist spent 13.4% on the payroll which is $500,000 per year. If the pharmacist worked lonesome with 3 full time pharmacy technicians, then the pharmacist paid himself $400,000 in salary + $140,000 in profit.

Subtract $120,000 per pharmacist... including benefits..

With the owner pharmacist and a full time pharmacist with 3 technicians, the owner pharmacist makes $280,000 in salary + $140,000 in profit.

There is a lot of money to be made.. but you must ask yourself how hard you want to work.
Employed pharmacist will make $100,000+ per year working 40 hours a week with no OT. Per diem 20 hours a week and $150,000 per year.. hold down 2 jobs and $200,000 per year.

Own your own..and you can either go bankrupt or make $500,000 per year or more.

I would rather work hard for myself than work hard for a corporation and put 15 million into the pocket of a CEO!!

Its not????:confused:

I've only been there once - that was plenty. It seemed pretty south to me, but what do I know?

Perhaps you were referring more to the "spirituality" of the deep south - yeah...thats a whole 'nother thing I guess. I was thinking about the current "family values" thing of a Texan which comes to mind.

I do thank you for your clarification! I'd agree....Texas is....different! (I've got friends who claim they aren't part of the US - who knows - they could be right:D ).

Hee, hee - I think it's all about regional perception.

To me in KY - the deep South is Alabama or Georgia.

Texas is like the West: cowboy hats, longhorns, our "cowboy" president.

Of course, we think of California as a very crowded place full of hippies.

We also say that people from Ohio can't drive - I'm not sure where this comes from?

Hee, hee - I think it's all about regional perception.

To me in KY - the deep South is Alabama or Georgia.

Texas is like the West: cowboy hats, longhorns, our "cowboy" president.

Of course, we think of California as a very crowded place full of hippies.

We also say that people from Ohio can't drive - I'm not sure where this comes from?

I was born in North Carolina, grew up in Arkansas, Lived for a short while in TX, NM, WY,MT, and now SoCal. Now, from an Arkansans point of view, The Great Waste of TX is SW. So are AZ,NM. LA,AL,GA are Deep South (FL Panhandle too) FL is old Folks, MO,TN,KY, SC,VA are South. I know I left a few out. Let's just call them Hillbillies. (AR included)
Oh and California is "diffferent".:eek:

I was born in North Carolina, grew up in Arkansas, Lived for a short while in TX, NM, WY,MT, and now SoCal. Now, from an Arkansans point of view, The Great Waste of TX is SW. So are AZ,NM. LA,AL,GA are Deep South (FL Panhandle too) FL is old Folks, MO,TN,KY, SC,VA are South. I know I left a few out. Let's just call them Hillbillies. (AR included)
Oh and California is "diffferent".:eek:

Yep - California is indeed different & thats a good thing:D

I graduate in May and signed with a large retail pharmacy for 1 year.

My bonuses and base salary (about 110) put me at a gross slightly higher than 120K.

Not bad for 23.

My bonuses and base salary (about 110) put me at a gross slightly higher than 120K.

Not bad for 23.

show off!

Not bad for 23.

What state/city/retailer?

It is great for 23, but what will you be making at 65? 125K? 170 max? Anyhow I hate how threads go off topic from answering the OP to attacks on each other and fields, where it becomes a MD vs Pharm crap, etc... who cares about what field your in, all health care fields are noble and greatly compensated, and they all have their pros and cons! ALL OF THEM!

show off!

What?

What state/city/retailer?

Im not going to disclose that much info.

Northeast/small city/one of the 3 largest retailers in the country.

Sorry for the ambiguity, but thats all im going to say on a public forum.

It is great for 23, but what will you be making at 65? 125K? 170 max? Anyhow I hate how threads go off topic from answering the OP to attacks on each other and fields, where it becomes a MD vs Pharm crap, etc... who cares about what field your in, all health care fields are noble and greatly compensated, and they all have their pros and cons! ALL OF THEM!

If you dont think their is room for growth in pharmacy your really kidding yourself. As far as what ill be making at 65- I hope to be not making anything from directly working as I plan on being retired by then. I dont plan on pushing pills for the next 40 years bro.

Your last post is quite a contradictory statement. Isnt that bolded comment above a bit of an attack on the growth of pharmacy, but in the next sentence you state how you hate how people attack other fields? Im sure youll clarify this.

So retail pharmacists can expect maybe a growth of 5-45K increase over the next 40 years? Yea ok. :rolleyes:

Practice what you preach.

Where is this coming from?:cool: Hopefully at 65 he'll be retired not having to worry about money. Getting a PharmD and becoming productive at 23 is awesome. I wasn't even close at that age. BTW... are you a healthcare student or professional?

I always hear the story my friend makes 100k...... is there anyone here making 100k? please dont be shy

I am a pharmacist in MD and I make more than a 100K and I just graduated in june. Current grads in MD this year are started at 110K. with OT I can gross 180K easy..the profession is very rewarding...right now I am looking for the 3 years contract for $1 million in Alaska...anyone with a lead? don't know if the Alaska deal is real or not

StallionRX,

I am proud of you. Good Job!:thumbup:

I am a pharmacist in MD and I make more than a 100K with OT I can gross 180K easy..the profession is very rewarding...right now I am looking for the 3 years contract for $1 million in Alaska...anyone with a lead? don't know if the Alaska deal is real or not

I hear that $1 million job is on the Alaskan King Crabbing ships... you must have a great sense of balance and count pills while the ship is battling storms and must be able to work 18 hour shifts. j/k

I am a pharmacist in MD and I make more than a 100K and I just graduated in june. Current grads in MD this year are started at 110K. with OT I can gross 180K easy..the profession is very rewarding...right now I am looking for the 3 years contract for $1 million in Alaska...anyone with a lead? don't know if the Alaska deal is real or not

Yea man. OT can set you up with some real nice numbers and it seems like theirs always a place where you can pick some up. My girlfriend is a pharmacist and they beg her to do OT and then pay her time and a half to do it.

Ive been hearing about the Alaska deal since I was a freshman. Ive heard from a few people that its completely bogus, thus Ive given up hope on it. Hopefully you hear different.

StallionRX,

I am proud of you. Good Job!:thumbup:

Thanks bro! :cool:

I've gotten a few job offers in the Chicagoland area (all retail):

Approximate starting salaries:
Walgreens: 105,000
CVS: 106,000
Osco/Supervalue: 98,500
Dominick's/Safeway: 98,750
Target: 98,000

were you offered a sign on bonus too?

i don't want to be a nurse...thanks for your input. i was just curious about that person's offer.