Who's the laziest 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillindrdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
now that match lists are in, and most of us are done with step 2s...who here is the laziest 4th year? ;)

even people in my class who are "gunners" are starting to loaf bigtime.

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like me (sadly), and I'm only finishing the third year!

chillindrdude said:
now that match lists are in, and most of us are done with step 2s...who here is the laziest 4th year? ;)

even people in my class who are "gunners" are starting to loaf bigtime.

I just finished cardiology and definitely was lazy for the month. Typically I would leave by lunch and not study (last time I studied was for Step 2). Been spending my time doing other things that I took for granted during third year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been very lazy...for the past five months, i had three months off and spent a month on gas (went in 3 times for about 2hrs per) and radiology (did VERY little)...plan to improve on my laziness during my medicine subI in april (required, so gotta do it)....ain't fourth year GRAND!

I'm becoming a vegetable in FP clinic for 2 months, then a month of Optho office (hey, how stressful can eyeballs be, huh?). Thing that sux bigtime is that I had to schedule my ICU rotation for my VERY LAST ROTATION of my 4th year......let's all say it together.....OUCH!!!!! :barf:

Kat :laugh:

For some odd reason I decided to kill myself the last few months of med school. Right now I am doing a month of trauma surgery at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix and next month I am doing SICU. I still haven't figured out why I am not popping zits and passing gas right now.

klubguts said:
I have been very lazy...for the past five months, i had three months off and spent a month on gas (went in 3 times for about 2hrs per) and radiology (did VERY little)...plan to improve on my laziness during my medicine subI in april (required, so gotta do it)....ain't fourth year GRAND!

I hate to say it but...having this type of attitude during 4th year may not be the best thing...I backed down considerably after matching during 4th year..but like the saying goes..you get out of it what you put in...good luck

NurseyK said:
I'm becoming a vegetable in FP clinic for 2 months, then a month of Optho office (hey, how stressful can eyeballs be, huh?). Thing that sux bigtime is that I had to schedule my ICU rotation for my VERY LAST ROTATION of my 4th year......let's all say it together.....OUCH!!!!! :barf:

FP clinic is an exemption..you are allowed to be a vegetable :p

ericdamiansean said:
FP clinic is an exemption..you are allowed to be a vegetable :p

I agree that the vast majority of patients in a run of the mill FP clinic are "slugs" however, every once in a while you get good pathology and something to learn from...take advantage of those times...seeing things here and there really do add up and make your knowledge base grow...it'll make you a better doctor no matter what specialty you go into...but I do agree, FP clinic blows and I'd hate to be a phucking FP doc

I find FP clinic to be one of the more challenging rotations, I wonder why the discrepancy? I am constantly working ALL DAY, unlike being in the hospital, when I have so much down time and so many fewer patients to worry about.

I am now officially a slug. Done with rotations (except my "research rotation" that I already did the work for.)

ahhh

OPtho was the best rotation ever for laziness. Didn't do a damn thing and loved the doc I worked with.

Ummm...well, Im taking a bunch of electives for my last semester...

they meet about 2x a month.

Medical Spanish

Freud and psychoanalysis

Law and Ethics in clinical practice (important, especially for the jurisprudence exam)

Major medical novels

A History of Caring (amazingly, a required class)

NurseyK said:

OMG I scheduled an adult ICU month my last rotation in April-May after matching in Peds in December (I needed a ADT at Keesler and Psych was unavailable) - thankfully scheduling problems got me off my ****** moment and I'm happily trying to arrange a child psych rotation now! Totally vegging though - I've opened a textbook maybe three times in the past year, and only to work up a presentation specifically assigned to me! :laugh:

I win, I win, I win, hands down. Started a new 2-week rotation yesterday, admitted to only doing part of required reading as opposed to all of it, attending's head popped off in fury and I was summarily dismissed, never to return. My clinical education department didn't seem to give a dog's bollocks and told me to take the next 2 weeks off (as opposed to sticking me in some random rotation). So, the moral of the story is, laziness ---> honesty regarding laziness ---> don't have to spend 2 weeks with jackass attending and get 2 luxurious post-successful-match weeks off. Boo-yah!!!!

EUA said:
I win, I win, I win, hands down. Started a new 2-week rotation yesterday, admitted to only doing part of required reading as opposed to all of it, attending's head popped off in fury and I was summarily dismissed, never to return. My clinical education department didn't seem to give a dog's bollocks and told me to take the next 2 weeks off (as opposed to sticking me in some random rotation). So, the moral of the story is, laziness ---> honesty regarding laziness ---> don't have to spend 2 weeks with jackass attending and get 2 luxurious post-successful-match weeks off. Boo-yah!!!!
Sweet!!! Great job EUA..definately a winner! good luck w/the match!

Okay...let's see...

July - "Special Elective" month (I taught CPR in the community during third year and got an elective credit for it; ie - I spent July at the beach and drinking beer)

August - Junior Internship in Medicine (worked with a guy at the VA who is notorious for being very med student friendly; average work day was 9AM-2PM, woked one weekend, one night of call per week)

September - Radiology (wanted to impress to get good letters; after sufficient ass kissing, I left at noon the latter half of the month)

October - Ambulatory Medicine (rotated through different clinics on different days of the week; made it a point to skip every clinic at least once)

November - Radiology Away Rotation (same as above)

December/January - Off for interviews and Step 2CK

February - Neurology (spent as much time hiding from the residents as possible to minimize work load)

March - Surgical Subspecialties (as match day is approaching, the residents have been very generous; i think I've put in about 10-15 hours per week so far)

April - MICU (I scheduled this out of guilt)

That's it. I swear, if anyone can beat that, then please teach me your ways, because you are the master.

i win

6 weeks of neuro "research".. basically hung out with faculty and getting my feet wet in neuro stuff...

3 weeks of child neuro.. more stuff i'm actually interested in so it was pretty easy..

4 weeks of radiology.. i was in the radiology suite for 10-30 minutes each day.. pretended to study for step 2 ck

4 weeks of anaesthesia.. after an intubation.. i left before noon everyday.. studied for step 2 ck

4 weeks of cardiology.. i took 1 call the entire month because of interviews

4 week of opthalmology.. i went if 4 times the entire month because of interviews

4 weeks of emergency medicine.. 10 shifts in 1 month..

4 weeks of IM.. easiest sub-i known to man.. never took an overnight call.. since i was in the early match..my attending gave me a nickname.. FYBIGMI.. basically it's an acronym.. "f you b.. i got my internship"

3 weeks of neuroradiology.. i'll be done with med school on friday..

I win!

July - neuro (4 wks) days were from 8am-noon M-F; only 3 calls during the month

August - medicine subI (4 wks) - ok this wasnt fun ~75 hrs/wk

Sept/Oct - surgery rotation (8 wks) - ok this sucked, pushed this core till latest possible moment

November - off, studied for step 2 ck

December - off, interviews

January - off, interviews

February - off, did nothing but compile my rank list, step 2 cs

March - path elective (4 wks) average day 9am-noon

April - off

May - off/graduate!

I have completely lost motivation since the DO match last month, but I am another one of the gluttons for punishment who scheduled an ICU rotation as my next to last rotation. I plan on doing cardiology as my last rotation, so I guess whether I can be a slug or not will depend on where I do the rotation.

We are stuck on rotations until June 3. Graduation for LECOM is June 12...and then I get a whole 8 days between graduation and when my orientation for internship starts... :mad: +pissed+

DOtobe --

Hey I know!!! I just took PE exam yesterday and I think EVERY OTHER DO school in the damn country is done in either April or May!!

gggrr +pissed+

Not to mention that we have to be at the school for all those "mandatory meeting" days before graduation! +pissed+ +pissed+

Kat

Wait... Med school's 4 years?!?!

I thought it was 3 years and I had to wait a year to get my diploma..