Whose not gettin' the love from their state's school(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Colorado here! I live so close to the med school that I can practically see the interviewees walking to the admissions office--full of potential. Whilst I sit here, potential-less.

Members don't see this ad.

gdbaby said:
Colorado here! I live so close to the med school that I can practically see the interviewees walking to the admissions office--full of potential. Whilst I sit here, potential-less.

lol...do you see them while you stalk the admissions director from the bushes?

I'll join in...applied to 9 schools in NY, got rejections from 4 of 'em, 1 hold (with an inevitable hold) and the others have hung me out to dry. First time, I hate being a NY resident...this wouldn't have happened to me in Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I just found out that I got waitlisted at my state school. So much for state schools being your best bet in this process.

RayhanS1282 said:
First time, I hate being a NY resident...this wouldn't have happened to me in Texas.

I got a little freaky love from Texas. I'm a TX resident and applied to 5 schools through TMDSAS. I've heard nada from the schools I thought were the real possibilities and I got an interview from the one school I had completely lost hope in. Don't get me wrong--I'm thrilled to have an interview--but that's just weird. This lack of alternatives is making me jumpy...

gdbaby, your "one interview, one acceptance" is my inspiration right now!

No love from Colorado here. And to make me feel worse about it, I just read in the non-trad forum about someone who got into Colorado with a 28 MCAT. I got a 29 and I can't even get a d*mn interview. I hate this process.

Must go play more sudoku.

I'll join too, but with California, what do you expect? I've come to accept the fact that, barring a miracle, I'm not going back to the West Coast for at least four more years. (Well unless I don't get in anywhere at all, but I'm trying to stay positive :) ).

sim4radonc said:
no word from UNC

Could be worse. I got a UNC secondary and still havent been called to schedule an interview..... while people get called back the day after submitting their secondary its been a couple of weeks for me already. :thumbdown:

Damn you Upstate.... put me on a pre-interview hold. And where is Downstate?

At least Buffalo and Stony seemed to like me.

Neither hide nor hair from UMass Medical. So much for state schools supporting their residents.

fiddler

The typical turnaround time for a response from Univ. of Florida is anywhere from 11 days to about 5 weeks. I called once and they said "we'll let you know immediately as soon as a decision is made." Well, it's been three months since I was complete and I still haven't heard anything. No "you're on hold", no "you've been rejected", just...nothing.

I'm withdrawing from there. I plan on including something about not appreciating their total lack of contact, but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it yet.

RayhanS1282 said:
lol...do you see them while you stalk the admissions director from the bushes?

I'll join in...applied to 9 schools in NY, got rejections from 4 of 'em, 1 hold (with an inevitable hold) and the others have hung me out to dry. First time, I hate being a NY resident...this wouldn't have happened to me in Texas.

2n this. NY residents have alot of options, but unless we are stellar, they tend to overlook the underdogs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a UT Houston interview here in TX. It's not as easy to make it in TX as it sounds.

Another New Yorker, rejected from Buffalo, on hold for a rejection letter at Upstate, and nothing from Downstate. The two interviews I have were at other public state schools.

sim4radonc said:
no word from UNC

Me too. No secondary, no word at all except they'd received my app back in August. Last year I got their secondary the last week of November, so I'll be patient.

It's kind of hard to hear people in Texas and NY complain about their state schools, since it seems like you guys have so many, while here in NC we only have two. But I understand when you don't get any love from your state schools either.

Hopefully we'll all come out of this process with at least one acceptance. :luck:

CuddlyKumquat said:
2n this. NY residents have alot of options, but unless we are stellar, they tend to overlook the underdogs.
I think that is what ShyRem and I are going through. Since Colorado is the only state school and its ranked in US News (tied with Iowa, ironically enough) AND people want to live in Colorado, the underdogs are few and far between. I sat in on some classes there last spring and talked to the Dean. He said the average MCAT score was a 33 for the 2005 class.

I also heard that Colorado is a "numbers" school--so much for the exceptionally beautiful people sans MCAT's like Shy and I!

Oh yes, I do not have to be behind the bushes to see the interviewees. they stand out like a turd in a punchbowl: black suits, white or blue shirts, similar-toned tie.

tigress said:
Yup, I just found out that I got waitlisted at my state school. So much for state schools being your best bet in this process.

WTF, are the PA schools crazy? You're definitely qualified and you should have gotten into both of your state schools. This process is too random.

no love from NY schools here either, one rejection one hold... awesome

me!! i have an interview from my former state's school, which is great but has a $36k price tag for out of state. however, i've not heard from ohsu, my state school yet. i'm already convinced that i'll wind up on their waitlist and maybe get in in the summer if i'm lucky.

what bothers me is that i think state schools should want to admit their qualified in state applicants instead of begrudgingly taking us late in the cycle. as it is, only 30% of ohsu grads practice in oregon, so maybe they should focus on taking some more oregonians to up that.

Powers said:
I got a little freaky love from Texas. I'm a TX resident and applied to 5 schools through TMDSAS. I've heard nada from the schools I thought were the real possibilities and I got an interview from the one school I had completely lost hope in. Don't get me wrong--I'm thrilled to have an interview--but that's just weird. This lack of alternatives is making me jumpy...

do you think texas is sort of mischaracterized here on sdn as an easy state for med school admissions? having lived in that area, i know for a fact that texas is a harder state to get in from than oklahoma or arkansas. other southern states seem pretty d@mn friendly, too, like louisiana, alabama and mississippi.

exlawgrrl said:
me!! i have an interview from my former state's school, which is great but has a $36k price tag for out of state. however, i've not heard from ohsu, my state school yet. i'm already convinced that i'll wind up on their waitlist and maybe get in in the summer if i'm lucky.

what bothers me is that i think state schools should want to admit their qualified in state applicants instead of begrudgingly taking us late in the cycle. as it is, only 30% of ohsu grads practice in oregon, so maybe they should focus on taking some more oregonians to up that.

At least you're in-state for OHSU! They are one of my top choices (my boyfriend is from Portland, I know tons of awesome people there, and I want to STAY in Oregon after med school, if they'd just accept me! Did I mention I want to live in Oregon, and practice there??? First they have to offer me an interview though....) :(
Yeah, and gdbaby, I know what you mean about state schools... I'm in IL for heavens sake. Land of tons of med schools, yet no interview invite from UIC. Sigh. Maybe there's still hope. I keep telling myself that...

Yeah, I am originally from Chicago and applied to all the Illinois schools save NW and SIU (my M.A. alma mater)--nothing. Say, I will be in Portland for Thanksgiving, do you need me to say hi to your beau?

I haven't heard from my in-state Osteopathic school. One of my LORs is from a graduate. I'm totally confused by that, but because of other acceptances I'm not freaked out.

OHSU is my state school as well. I'm still waiting....and waiting...and waiting....

An advisor told us this fall, "They are back to their old ways, taking most of their students from in state." ha!!! let's see it happen!!!

I am kind of in tough situation when I do apply because my state school is the University of Washington and they have pretty high standards. However, I am a resident of British Columbia too (dual-citizenship), but the University of British Columbia is just as hard to get into as UW. :laugh: I better get back to studying.

I've had 10 interview invites... yet I can't get a single invite from ANY california med school, public or private. It sucks!!! :mad: :(

gdbaby said:
Yeah, I am originally from Chicago and applied to all the Illinois schools save NW and SIU (my M.A. alma mater)--nothing. Say, I will be in Portland for Thanksgiving, do you need me to say hi to your beau?

Thanks for the offer, but he is currently living here in IL with me. :)
He grew up there though and only moved out here about 5 years ago.... which was wonderful since I wouldn't have met him otherwise... but he really doesn't care for living here. After visiting Oregon several times myself, I can't really say I blame him :p
Anyhow, since you're going to be in Portland over Thanksgiving, I take it you have family there you're visiting? If you are lucky enough to be going on an interview, though, let me know-- I have people there who I'm sure would be happy to let you spend a few nights free of charge.

MrBurns10 said:
The typical turnaround time for a response from Univ. of Florida is anywhere from 11 days to about 5 weeks. I called once and they said "we'll let you know immediately as soon as a decision is made." Well, it's been three months since I was complete and I still haven't heard anything. No "you're on hold", no "you've been rejected", just...nothing.

I'm withdrawing from there. I plan on including something about not appreciating their total lack of contact, but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it yet.

Every time I read a post by MrBurns10, I hear the sinister voice of the original Mr. Burns in my head. It's kind of funny to hear Mr. Burns talking about med schools and the application process.

humuhumu said:
Every time I read a post by MrBurns10, I hear the sinister voice of the original Mr. Burns in my head. It's kind of funny to hear Mr. Burns talking about med schools and the application process.
That's actually how I sound in real life.

I'll keep it short and sweet - Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in med school.

MrBurns10 said:
That's actually how I sound in real life.

I'll keep it short and sweet - Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in med school.

:laugh:

Powers said:

Same here, even as a TX resident with decent stats there has only been one interview. Friends and fellow students are having the same problem. Maybe one is good enough.

no love from any of the cali schools

kathyt009 said:
OHSU is my state school as well. I'm still waiting....and waiting...and waiting....

An advisor told us this fall, "They are back to their old ways, taking most of their students from in state." ha!!! let's see it happen!!!

I interviewed at OHSU. The Asst Dean told us that OHSU does not have any preferences for Oregon residents post-interview. Theoretically, the entire class could be full of people OOS, and they wouldn't give a damn. Most likely this wouldn't ever happen because they do tend to interview a higher percentage of Oregon residents.

TheMightyAngus said:
I interviewed at OHSU. The Asst Dean told us that OHSU does not have any preferences for Oregon residents post-interview. Theoretically, the entire class could be full of people OOS, and they wouldn't give a damn. Most likely this wouldn't ever happen because they do tend to interview a higher percentage of Oregon residents.

that's so lame. i think i officially hate ohsu now. :thumbdown: if that's their attitude, then oregon shouldn't give them any money -- let them be private if they want.

gdbaby said:

Me!! Oh, wait a minute, I don't have a state school. Congrats on getting into Iowa-- great school, great accomplishment. However, I know you are a woman, but looking at your avatar you are a very ugly (and slightly hairy) female. Perhaps this is why Colorado has not yet gotten back to you?

silas2642 said:
Me!! Oh, wait a minute, I don't have a state school. Congrats on getting into Iowa-- great school, great accomplishment. However, I know you are a woman, but looking at your avatar you are a very ugly (and slightly hairy) female. Perhaps this is why Colorado has not yet gotten back to you?
Wow, you must be a devil with the ladies! Can't hold 'em back? (I'm just teasing you)

PA hates its own residents. I went through this with college, but I'm finding it much worse with med school admissions.

I am also having issues with PA schools. I saw a thread a few weeks ago about people not appreciating their own state schools, but I have an issue with state schools not appreciating their own state residents ;) .

silas2642 said:
HA! :laugh: the hair is to keep my body warm while skiing. the ugly, well...genetics....My family reunions are sad looks into my future.

The University of Illinois is taking its SWEET time with my app....still hasn't gone to the screeners, and, according to the lady on the phone, neither have 1000's of others that are waiting there! Sheesh!

gdbaby said:
HA! :laugh: the hair is to keep my body warm while skiing. the ugly, well...genetics....My family reunions are sad looks into my future.

The tie doesn't look very feminine either. Just a suggestion.

I heart Biology said:
I am also having issues with PA schools. I saw a thread a few weeks ago about people not appreciating their own state schools, but I have an issue with state schools not appreciating their own state residents ;) .

As has been painfully pointed out to me, neither Pitt med nor PSU med are state schools. They are instead "state affiliated schools". What is the difference you ask? The extra profits they keep, the screwing they pass on to you! Much like how we live in a "Commonwealth", which seems to be distinguished from a "State" largely by how utterly incompetent and reactionary the government is.

hypersomniac_ said:
As has been painfully pointed out to me, neither Pitt med nor PSU med are state schools. They are instead "state affiliated schools". What is the difference you ask? The extra profits they keep, the screwing they pass on to you! Much like how we live in a "Commonwealth", which seems to be distinguished from a "State" largely by how utterly incompetent and reactionary the government is.

Actually I think Penn State is a state school in the usual sense of the term. I don't think Pitt is even state affiliated, but I may be wrong. And Temple is state affiliated.

Many states have schools like this. I just interviewed at MUSC in Charleston, SC. South Carolina has a state school, USC, and MUSC is a state-affiliated school. I'm sure there are many other examples. It just means that much of their funding is private, but they do get state support. And generally it just translates into higher tuitions, as well as a bit more autonomy, although from what I heard at MUSC they still very much have to answer to the state legislature and such.

nice new thread, gdbaby! misery loves company, heh.

no love here from the one state school here in lonely georgia. why? why? why??

TimmyTheWonderD said:
The University of Illinois is taking its SWEET time with my app....still hasn't gone to the screeners, and, according to the lady on the phone, neither have 1000's of others that are waiting there! Sheesh!

Timmy, I say we start a sub-club on SDN. My application is "in process" there and has been for months! And here I thought they would be one of the first ones to get back to me.
From your posts, it looks like you, the brown note, possibly SigPi and I are applying to a lot of the same schools (UofI, SIU, Rosalind Franklin, etc.) I say we have a supportive/pity party until we get some GOOD NEWS. :luck: :( :luck:

IDforMe said:
Timmy, I say we start a sub-club on SDN. My application is "in process" there and has been for months! And here I thought they would be one of the first ones to get back to me.
From your posts, it looks like you, the brown note, possibly SigPi and I are applying to a lot of the same schools (UofI, SIU, Rosalind Franklin, etc.) I say we have a supportive/pity party until we get some GOOD NEWS. :luck: :( :luck:

Count me in on the sub-club! I hope you all hear soon from UIC! :luck:

Does anyone know if Colorado has shut down? Was there a fire? Was there one of those cool French intellectual revolutions where all the students leave the school and follow rock-star philosophers like Satre and Foucault instead of their everyday faculty? Perhaps they haven't paid their phone bill which is why they haven't called.

I just don't understand.