Whose planning on working the summer before med school???

iamhere

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
    I was originally planning on trying to find a good, high-paying job this summer. However, after talking to friends and people in med school/graduated from med school, it seems like I might just take the summer off. I don't get out of school until late May because of senior events. Med school starts early august and I am going on vacation for a couple of weeks during the summer. That leaves like 7 weeks of summer and I will probably go down to school a couple weeks early to move in and get settled. So 5 weeks doesn't seem worth it to work...is this good justifcation:D Let me know who else is in the same boat and taking the summer off. I figure i might get bored though.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 13, 2002
    lonecoyote11.blogspot.com
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Since I am out of school I really don't have a choice but to work, pay rent, buy groceries, etc. If I won the lottery I would take the whole summer off, travel, relax, read some books and chill with friends. If you are able to take the summer off do it. This is really the last summer you will have fully off.

About the Ads

AlternateSome1

Burnt Out
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 2, 2002
      NY
      1. Attending Physician
        I'm going to be doing campus security work. When I am not working for an extended period of time I get very antsy, so I can't really imagine taking an entire summer off. Travelling sounds nice, but it just leads to more debt. I want to build up a little bit of a nest egg so I don't have to live like a pauper during my first year, despite paying for everything with loans.

BTW
        Whose is the possessive form of who. You can use it to ask, "Whose watch is this?"
        Who's is the contraction for who is. You might use it to ask, "Who's planning on working the summer before med school?"

~AS1~

Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 26, 2002
        1. Medical Student
          I'm not starting this year, but I'll still answer. I'm taking a year off to work and save money, so when that summer rolls around, you'll find me backpacking Europe with my little sister. :horns:

If I weren't taking time off though, I would have worked. It's nice to have a break, but it's even nicer to have money in the bank during the school year. :)

F

ForensicPath

I am in the exact same situation as the OP. I really need the money, but is it worth the hassle of finding a job for about 5-7 weeks worth of work?If I don't work then I won't have any money to do any fun things over the summer though (party in the hamptons, atlantic city, golfing, drinking, etc...).

twinklz

Lover of Lagomorphs
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 10, 2003
            North Carolina
              My job kicks me out at the end of May. So for the month and a half off, I'll either (a) travel around New England with my boy (b) have back surgery or (c) lounge around getting antsy and going crazy. I'm hoping for a, I'll settle for c, but I really don't want b.

Chrisobean

The Killer Bean
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Dec 17, 2003
              trying to get some sleep
                for that short a time, get a fun job. work at some restaurant/bar at the beach or something... yeah its pocket change but at least it will be fun to do. or maybe work at a kid's camp.. anything involving playtime is good enough for me.
                personally, i am quitting my job come june and working full-time on my tan.
                FP - hamptons? here i come!! :)

iamhere

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Mar 4, 2003
                  Originally posted by AlternateSome1

BTW
                  Whose is the possessive form of who. You can use it to ask, "Whose watch is this?"
                  Who's is the contraction for who is. You might use it to ask, "Who's planning on working the summer before med school?"

~AS1~

Hey thanks for the correction. In the future maybe send a note to the person who made a grammatical mistake via PM. No need to announce your catch on the message board. Also, I don't really need the patronizing example. I know the difference, but did not catch the mistake since I just put the thought up quickly.;)

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
                  7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Sep 17, 2003
                  San Diego
                    I wish I had the luxury of just taking a month off and traveling. I'm in way too much debt though so I'll be working as many hours as I can up until the time med school starts. I'll hopefully be teaching Kaplan and working at a bowling alley; Kaplan cause it pays well and a bowling alley so I can bowl for free.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.