1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Whose planning on working the summer before med school???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by iamhere, Mar 22, 2004.

1. iamhere

iamhere Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was originally planning on trying to find a good, high-paying job this summer. However, after talking to friends and people in med school/graduated from med school, it seems like I might just take the summer off. I don't get out of school until late May because of senior events. Med school starts early august and I am going on vacation for a couple of weeks during the summer. That leaves like 7 weeks of summer and I will probably go down to school a couple weeks early to move in and get settled. So 5 weeks doesn't seem worth it to work...is this good justifcation:D Let me know who else is in the same boat and taking the summer off. I figure i might get bored though.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Since I am out of school I really don't have a choice but to work, pay rent, buy groceries, etc. If I won the lottery I would take the whole summer off, travel, relax, read some books and chill with friends. If you are able to take the summer off do it. This is really the last summer you will have fully off.

4. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

i was going to work a non-health related job...like a clothing store, fish store or maybe even a fast food place. but now im having second thoughts. i might just not work and relax.

im scared.

5. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm going to be doing campus security work. When I am not working for an extended period of time I get very antsy, so I can't really imagine taking an entire summer off. Travelling sounds nice, but it just leads to more debt. I want to build up a little bit of a nest egg so I don't have to live like a pauper during my first year, despite paying for everything with loans.

BTW
    Whose is the possessive form of who. You can use it to ask, "Whose watch is this?"
    Who's is the contraction for who is. You might use it to ask, "Who's planning on working the summer before med school?"

~AS1~

6. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    noone else is gonna support my family so ill still continue to work up until the day or 2 before i am required to be there.

7. oldtimer

oldtimer Not a blind man
    7+ Year Member

I plan to continue working until about 2 weeks before school starts. I've been doing this job for the last 4 years so it doesn't take much out of me.

8. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not starting this year, but I'll still answer. I'm taking a year off to work and save money, so when that summer rolls around, you'll find me backpacking Europe with my little sister. :horns:

If I weren't taking time off though, I would have worked. It's nice to have a break, but it's even nicer to have money in the bank during the school year. :)

9. I am in the exact same situation as the OP. I really need the money, but is it worth the hassle of finding a job for about 5-7 weeks worth of work?If I don't work then I won't have any money to do any fun things over the summer though (party in the hamptons, atlantic city, golfing, drinking, etc...).

10. twinklz

twinklz Lover of Lagomorphs
    7+ Year Member

My job kicks me out at the end of May. So for the month and a half off, I'll either (a) travel around New England with my boy (b) have back surgery or (c) lounge around getting antsy and going crazy. I'm hoping for a, I'll settle for c, but I really don't want b.

11. Chrisobean

Chrisobean The Killer Bean
    7+ Year Member

for that short a time, get a fun job. work at some restaurant/bar at the beach or something... yeah its pocket change but at least it will be fun to do. or maybe work at a kid's camp.. anything involving playtime is good enough for me.
    personally, i am quitting my job come june and working full-time on my tan.
    FP - hamptons? here i come!! :)

12. dtreese

dtreese Caramel Gollum
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'll be in my dingy little cubicle until the Friday before the fun starts.

13. IrishOarsman

IrishOarsman My Rx: Guiness
    7+ Year Member

Some of my friends, oddly enough, have real jobs next year. Combine that with the honest duty to break in a friend's new couch for him, and I see myself bumming around the country this summer.

:cool:

14. iamhere

iamhere Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey thanks for the correction. In the future maybe send a note to the person who made a grammatical mistake via PM. No need to announce your catch on the message board. Also, I don't really need the patronizing example. I know the difference, but did not catch the mistake since I just put the thought up quickly.;)

15. Super Rob

Super Rob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

All I can say is that in these next ten years, we won't have the opportunity to make such a decision. In a way, it's good to have this option.

16. boomuntilnoon

boomuntilnoon Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

17. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

I wish I had the luxury of just taking a month off and traveling. I'm in way too much debt though so I'll be working as many hours as I can up until the time med school starts. I'll hopefully be teaching Kaplan and working at a bowling alley; Kaplan cause it pays well and a bowling alley so I can bowl for free.

18. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i am avoiding working at all costs.