Why a postbac program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carmstrong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is in his last semester of undergrad working towards a degree in business. He has recently shown interest in possibly pursuing a career in medicine. He was planning on taking the required courses for admission once he graduated. I have seen some talk about the postbac programs. At first I thought that it was just a descriptive word for studying once you have graduated but now i am getting the impression that it is a specific program. Can anyone give me any insight into this. I am curious how this is different from just taking the required classes on your own.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do have postbac program and they are listed in the school catalog. ( My school do have such program).
I agree with you that it makes not difference if you just take the required premed courses or apply to postbac program.
However, in some schools, to be eligible for registration, you are required to be accepted by the school first; accepted by a shcool program.