Why Albert Einstein?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an AE interview coming up in two weeks, but was wondering what other people who have interviewed thought about the school?

I was accepted to a SUNY that was pretty high on my list and proceeded to cancel most of my other interviews and am currently debating whether to withdraw from AE or not. (anyone know if they are only interviewing for waitlist at this point)

Anyone have insights into the good and the bad at AECOM? I've thought about EM as a focus, and thought that AE would allow some amazing clinical expereince.. thats one reason why I haven't withdrawn yet.. but I wanted to see what other people thought.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked the school a lot. One thing you will immediately notice is how nice everyone is and how happy the students are. Even though the school might not be in the nicest area, the area does have its charm.

You are correct in that the school will offer great clinical opportunities. With so many great hospitals to rotate through including Montefiore and Beth Israel in Manhattan, your clinical exposure will be excellent. I am personally impressed by the great research opportunities, cheap housing and reknown faculty at the school.

Since you are a NY resident, AECOM has a great reputation and will undoubtedly help you for your pursuit of a good residency in state or for your future practice.

I think that they are only interviewing for the waitlist, but I could be wrong. I was placed on a 'waitlist' and I called for more information and was told that I am not on the waitlist but am on an accepted students list They are waiting for people to withdraw before offering me an acceptance. Sounded like a waitlist but the lady was adamant that its not a waitlist. I was given an envelope to submit a letter of interest with my 'waitlist' letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend interviewed there two weeks ago and he was told that there is space.

Hey. Sorry, I don't have any really good info, but I have a bunch of friends at Einstein and they really love it. I spent a summer there doing research and while people will bash the location, it's not so bad. One of my close friends who's there says the biggest problem is that she can't buy too many groceries at once because the store is a longish walk away, and they don't have good produce :p. There's not much around there, but when I was there for the summer I took the bus into Manhattan a bunch of times, and it's a pretty short and cheap trip. Also, housing is really awesome with rents you just wouldn't believe (something like $425 for a big studio, but don't quote me on that) because it's controlled rent or whatever. Only prob with housing is if you're single and want to live alone or married with no children you have to take a studio. Lots of people have roommates and share some bigger apartments. The apartment buildings are literally across the street from the med school, so at least for the first two years you definitely don't need a car (except for the groceries thing :p). And after that, public transportation in NYC is so awesome, I'm sure you could totally get away without one.

I only know the school from the research perspective, and there is tons of awesome research going on there. Actually the PI I was with moved, but she was very well known in her field, and many of the people there are like that. Great NIH funding. Overall I'd say it's a great school. The curriculum is the traditional block system, which to me is a downside.

So I hope this helps. I'm no expert, but my feel from being there for the summer was that it's a very positive environment.

good luck!

things i liked about einstein:
- everyone i know who goes/went there was super happy and pleased with the experiences they got
- unpretentious (ahem, unlike *cough*columbia*cough*) -- everyone is really friendly and NOT stuck up in the least
- GREAT clinical experience
- nice first year lecture hall (and i think they're working on the other big lecture hall too)
- good and cheap housing
- close to my home
(- kosher cafeteria & jewish holidays off -- important to me personally)

that's why i'll be there next year!

myodana said:
things i liked about einstein:
- unpretentious (ahem, unlike *cough*columbia*cough*) -- everyone is really friendly and NOT stuck up in the least

I only sort of agree with this. I sort of got this JAP-ie feeling from a lot of people there. Not that they weren't nice, just sort of...well, JAP-ie. I guess this would be more specific to the community of people I was around while I was there. It's the only thing I feel a little uncomfortable with in having Einstein as one of my top choices, because I'm not sure how much I'd fit in.

tigress said:
I only sort of agree with this. I sort of got this JAP-ie feeling from a lot of people there. Not that they weren't nice, just sort of...well, JAP-ie. I guess this would be more specific to the community of people I was around while I was there. It's the only thing I feel a little uncomfortable with in having Einstein as one of my top choices, because I'm not sure how much I'd fit in.

i guess it depends on who you met while you were there -- i had a couple of friends there before i even applied... brilliant and cool people who i really respect, and i guess we saw different people while we were there... my tour guide was this big frat-boy type from utah and a really fun and cool asian chick :) luck of the draw i guess.

myodana said:
i guess it depends on who you met while you were there -- i had a couple of friends there before i even applied... brilliant and cool people who i really respect, and i guess we saw different people while we were there... my tour guide was this big frat-boy type from utah and a really fun and cool asian chick :) luck of the draw i guess.

Yeah, I was in the Orthodox Jewish community there. Tons of cool people but very much a New York Jewish attitude. But I met plenty of other people and everybody seemed laid back about school, very friendly, and some really interesting people too.

Just out of curiosity: For people who are holding a spot at Einstein and is seriously considering attending there, what other schools are you also debating between, if any? What would make you lean more or away from Einstein?

For me, I am waiting on financial aid packages to come back, as well as some news from non-rolling schools, and then make a decision. Also, I want to pursue an MPH as well, so because Einstein doesn't have a formal MPH program, it's one of the very few cons on my list for that school. Essentially, I am deciding between a few schools that have an MD/MPH program and Einstein.

I loved Einstein when I interviewed there, for all of the reasons that the above posters mentioned. So, while there isn't a formal MPH education available at Einstein, the clinical opportunities with the underserved are amazing and probably makes up for that theoretical learning with practical training and real-world interactions. Am I right in thinking that? Basically, I just wanted to get a sense of what other SDN-ers (who are seriously considering Einstein) think about the school. I don't want to make a decision without hearing all sides. Thanks for all of your help! (Feel free to PM me as well.) Good luck to the OP with the interview and med school process!

I'm choosing b/w schools as shown on my mdapplicants page...But I'm seriously considering einstein and I'd definitely go there if I got the research and service scholarship--the thing for me is that I want to be up north (due to relationship) but I'm in at state school (cheap) and have a scholarship from UM (makes it cost less than the state school, I think)...This makes my choice a VERY hard one...
As per you specifically wanting an MPH...It depends what you want to do with it, I guess? If you want a job that you can't be hired for without an MPH, experience isn't going to help you get it...but if you want to learn more about it and get that experience and use it in practice as an MD then I'd say its just as good if not better...
As per the Jewish aspect...It doesn't make me uncomfortable because I'm Jewish--although not "Superjew" or anything like that--but I can definitely understand how it might make others uncomfortable...do they put out statistics on % jew vs nonjew in med school or on faculty there?

Hi All, I just interviewed at Einstein, and all I have to say is: I :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Einstein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, if only the would accept me!!! That school is phenomenal in so many ways...

Is anyone considering AECOM over MSSM? if so why?

glad you had a good time docjolly!!

wends said:
glad you had a good time docjolly!!

hi wends, thank you, again, for all of your advice yesterday :thumbup: Despite the crazy and frigid snowy, windy weather, I had a wonderful time! My interviewer, despite my initial anxiety, was so very patient, kind and informative...Everyone else I met was fantastic, as well! This entire process has been very good to me...I was not initially going to apply to AECOM. But isn't it funny how, after I did apply, I received an interview? Now, I'm in love with this school :love:

Good luck to you, wendy, and all who are still waiting on AE :)

What SUNY school bonez? I interviewed at Einstein back in October and was accepted, but ended up liking SUNY Upstate more and so am currently holding my acceptance at the SUNY (and one other school--still debating!!) But withdrew from Einstein.... i guess its just personal preference on where you feel most comfortable :)

Anyone know anything about the "favorably reviewed" letter? Any stats on how many people got off the waitlist in previous years?

Am I the only one who really didn't love AECOM? I hated how there was no orientation and the whole thing seemed really disorganized. The only redeeming thing I found in the whole day was the cheap housing. I guess it's a good thing, I didn't love it though...should I get in, I will decline...freeing up some space for those of you who really want to be there!

oniwindu said:
Also, I want to pursue an MPH as well, so because Einstein doesn't have a formal MPH program, it's one of the very few cons on my list for that school.

I can list a several cons for Einstein, but not having an MD-MPH program shouldn't be one of them. I'm currently a first yr at Einstein, and I know for sure both students and faculty have gotten their MPH from Columbia in the past. It's just a matter of working out your schedule with the deans.

caffeine99 said:
I can list a several cons for Einstein, but not having an MD-MPH program shouldn't be one of them. I'm currently a first yr at Einstein, and I know for sure both students and faculty have gotten their MPH from Columbia in the past. It's just a matter of working out your schedule with the deans.

Thanks for pointing out that Einstein students can get an MPH at Columbia. Just out of curiousity what are the other cons that you have found after being a first year at Einstein? What drew you to Einstein and made you go there over another school? Thanks for the help and perspective! (Feel free to PM me as well!)

I agree w/ kwc about the interview day--I was kind of annoyed by the lack of orientation/interview day packets--but when I talked to the admissions staff they were VERY nice to me--especially once I got in. Some at other schools are SUPER rude...just a thought...

myodana said:

LOL, i wonder if i interivewed on the same day with you. =p I remember the guy from utah, and the long haired asian girl who let us see her room.