Why all the fuss/competition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biophysicianai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just wondering why rads has such a tip-top rep. I've heard everywhere that radiologists get paid wonderfully, yet have a very manageable work schedule. This probably accounts for why radiology residencies are so competitive (yes?) - good pay and a good lifestyle is of course an attractive combination.

My question is simply, "how has radiology gotten this privilege?"

How is it that radiologists get this kind of combination of good compensation and a good work schedule? Are there simply too few radiology programs to support the demand for radiologist, thus inflating the demand for the radsgrads?

Members don't see this ad.

It just happens to be well reimbursed.

Those things can change quickly.

Don't chase a field based on perceived current income.

It's not just about income. It's also because most of us can't stand clinical medicine. Until you go through medical school, you won't really understand what I mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, radiologists make a lot of money because.

Reading radiological studies compensates rather well. And with today's technology (PACS, voice recognition dictating) and with good training and motivation a good radiologist can read a A LOT of studies.

I feel this is one of the great misunderstandings a lot of other physicians have about radiologists. They think "Man, they come in at 9:00 leave at 5:00 and don't work that hard'. Well, the hours are right, but the private practice radiologists who make those big bucks work like crazy during the day. A lot of doctors consider all radiologists work like those in academics, where the pace is slower and the compensation reflects that.

Of course, if the powers that be (the third party payers) decide they're going to slash compensations (probably Medicare, attempting to control costs) radiology is going to get hit, like any field would be.

it's not just about income. It's also because most of us can't stand clinical medicine. Until you go through medical school, you won't really understand what i mean.

qft

Radiology is competitive but its not exactly top-tier to match compared to the elite surgical fields, derm, and radonc. Lots of this has to do with the number of spots. Regardless of changes in compensation, radiologists will always be needed given the current way medicine is practiced in America. So it might be harder to reach a 500k income in the future, but you will probably have enough money to live well if you enjoy the field (as is true for most other specialties)