1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why am I a Biochemistry major?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by msquaredb, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Seriously? I am entering my junior year and I am about to begin the sequence of biochemistry course that are all dependent on each other. They have terrible distributions compared to upper chemistry classes (analytical, pchem, etc). What is the advantage? I hear that it helps on the MCAT and the first year of medical school, but is it worth hurting my GPA?

Do adcoms distinguish between a biochem major, or someone who has taken biochemistry extensively, and a biology major who floated through their last two years on things like plant physiology etc.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Be a biochem major because you enjoy and are interested in biochem, not because you think it will look admirable to AdComs.

4. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

if you feel like you wont do well, change majors.

one biochem class is good since some schools require it and its taught during your first year in med school, but majoring in it? Nah it won't help at all.

Major in whatever you want man. When it comes time to med school you don't need to know all the upper-level chem courses

5. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I do enjoy it. I am just in the predicament where what I enjoy isn't necessarily what I am best at :(

6. aSagacious

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok then. To answer your question: the general consensus on SDN (take it for what it's worth) is that difficulty of coursework helps, but GPA >> course difficulty as far as admissions is concerned. Before you throw in the towel based on hearsay, what makes you think you can't do well in you upper level biochem classes?

7. Doctor Cat

My dentist told me he called up the dental he wanted to go to and they recommended biochem. It is an attractive major on paper. But if you are miserable, you aren't doing yourself any favors. Sometimes it the grass is greener on the otherside (other majors), but take a minute to step back. You know yourself best. If you are having some serious doubts, then a change may be warranted. Talk to your advisor. They have faced these sorts of situations before.

8. user003

user003 lab slave

Non-Student
    Major in whatever you want. people will respect that.

9. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I finished organic two fall of my sophomore year and I am now a entering junior. I hear biochemistry is dependent on information learned in orgo II. Is this true or is someone fibbing to me a bit?

So the large gap really has me concerned. I had originally planned to take it spring 2012 but I pushed it up since more time would pass in between. I never really considered how much of orgo I would forget.

10. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I keep myself sane with my religious studies major. I love the humanities.

11. aSagacious

Resident [Any Field]
    Here is the orgo you have to remember for biochem:
    - Polarity
    - Acids and bases
    ...that's it.

12. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fantastic. That assuaged my fears a bit. The person I talked to indicated some mechanisms would be essential.

13. aSagacious

Resident [Any Field]
    If they are essential then you will invariably go over them a half-dozen more times during the course.

14. ppfizenm

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Biochem wasn't bad. I was a calc class short of getting a double major in biochem and neurosci. It really makes the MCAT easier because you learn to look at chemicals in different ways. Also Med Schools really like you to have it b/c that means you have a background in something that they move through pretty quickly.

15. Barcu

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This.

It's mostly acid-base types of mechs, which our body uses over and over again.

The hardest thing about biochem is not the mechs, it's the memorization. We had to know all the amino acids, then all of the steps of respiration (including all the intermediates in the krebs cycle), and a bunch more crap. It's pretty much a bunch of stuff that no person will actually remember unless they are a biochem professor.

16. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I love to memorize :)