why am i doing SO much worse on exam krackers 101 verbal than princeton review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rectalexam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help me figure this out...

I didn't do the whole princetion review book, just the 4 practice tests in the back., average a 11. So far in exam krackers 101: 8, 8, 9, 11, 8, 7, 6 (in that order)

This forum, including myself, generally accept TRP to be a lot more difficult than EK101. Half of TRP passages I found a torture to read, versus EK101, where I consider very few to be not interesting. My review (hopefully will help others).

TPR:
(1) passage and questions were very difficult to understand. I can best describe it as having someone from the 1700s ramble his opinion on a topic. I just read for understanding (not memorizing)
(2) most questions relate to big idea (meaning of passage) and a few that were some what specific.... I always knew exactly where in the passage to look. These would always be 3-4 sentences grouped together.
(3) there was usually a right answer. for example, if i were to make up an answer to a question without looking at the answer choices... than one of the answer choices would look very similar to my made up answer.

EX101:
(1) topics were easy and interesting. requires reading for understanding (although easier than TPR), but also memorizing
(2) few questions are main idea (easier main idea to figure out), but a lot of questions relate to minor details in passage, which are not grouped. For example, it will say (a) is wrong and than quote 4 words from line 5. (b) is wrong than quote 4 words from line 20. (c) is correct and quote 4 words from like 40. etc.
(3) usually not a right answer, but a "best" answer. none of the answer choices is something I would of expected, but there is always one better than another

the last few passages which I did bad on, there were a few dumb mistakes (you know, "which is something NOT suggested" and forgetting to read the word NOT). Which is at best 1-2 points. Still very low scores. The passage I got a 11 in, I missed 2 questions in the first 6 passages, than missed 5 out of the 6 questions in the last passage alone. Than the test I got a 6 on, I missed almost half the questions. Talk about consistency.....

For TPR, I just read for meaning, didn't pay attention to details. For a most questions, I'd go back in the passage and skim over the 3-4 sentences I knew the answer was in. I could do all this in time allowed. It is pretty much read for big picture.

For EK101, I don't tend to have time to refer back to the passage. It's like every sentence, or more accurate, fragment, counts. Like every sentence was a bullet point for a high yield study guide. So, if i read fast (so I can refer back to passage to for the questions like I did with TPR), than I don't get the main idea and miss a lot of questions. But if I read slow, than I don't have time to refer back to the passage, and miss a lot of questions a result.

Basically, TPR was a lot harder, but there was only one goal to interpret a very confusing passage. TPR = trying to juggle 5 bowling pins.
And EK101 you have to do 2 things, read for big idea, but detail also. Although both are easier, it requires doing 2 things. EK101: juggle only 2 bowling pins, BUT whileriding a bike.

Any advice???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if I did anything different. But personally, whenever I switched between tests my scores would always get lower, than work it's way back up. I only did ex101 and aamc. I did all ek101 before any aamc. I started at a 9 on ek101, than averaged a 11 towards end of book. But when I did my first aamc I started at a 9 again than worked up to a 11. Sorry, I know this doesn't help much.

Worry about what you get on the actual AAMC practice tests. I scored 9's always missing the 10 by one point on EK verbal exams, but always got an 11 on the my AAMC practices. AAMC verbal passages are the closest to the real thing.

I'd advise against using EK to study for Verbal. Their passages and questions don't sync well with how the actual MCAT tests your Verbal prowess. In my opinion, TPR is the way to go. I found their practice tests to be more difficult than the actual exam, but they prepare you well and teach you how to correctly approach the Verbal section.

FYI, I used TPR to study for the MCAT, never scored higher than 10 on Verbal, but scored an 11 on the real exam.